New to TTC. Living in Germany

Meet others who are TTC in their 20s

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

New to TTC. Living in Germany

Postby Angelalala » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:33 am

Hi Ladies,

My husband and I just decided to ttc at Christmas, so it's been an exciting past few weeks, including 3 weeks of vacation in the US. I'm new to all of this, naturally already obsessing ;) and to top it all off only just went off the pill in October so I might still need a few cycles to get back to normal again. At least that was the case the previous time I went off the pill.

At any rate, I live in Berlin and am 27. Most of my friends around my age either live in the US and/or are not thinking of ttc for another decade. So I'd really love to find someone to chat with about this whole new adventure, with all its ups and downs. And if you are also an expat or somewhere in Germany, even better.

So if you're in a similar situation I'd love to hear from you.

Baby dust, baby dust, baby dust.
Angelalala
Friend

Re: New to TTC. Living in Germany

Postby First timer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:48 pm

Hey,

I am not in Germany but I would love to chat with you. I am 29 years old. This is my first time TTC.

Tell me more about what you are doing to keep track of your cycle. I have been using an app (ovuview) since august to understand my cycles and to record my symptoms and my basal temperature. My husband and I stopped using condoms since late Dec/2014, doing extra "efforts" since 6 days before ovulation to a couple of days after.

How about you?
Good luck!!
First timer
Friend

Postby Angelalala » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi first timer,

thanks for the reply. Funny we started around the same time.

Well we are so new to this, we just now ordered a clear blue opk and will be charting my bbt. We just returned last week from 3 weeks with my parents in the US and while we did some bd there, it's not the same as being at home in your own place. So it's all just getting started now.

My cycle has usually been all over the place. I went off the pill over a year ago and it took me many months to have a somewhat consistent cycle again. There were times when I went almost 3 months without a period. Well, I did some soul searching this year and thought about going to get my Master's degree and went on the pill to prevent a pregnancy from interrupting my studies...this was in October. I was only able to take the pill for about a week because it gave me such terrible acid reflux that I stopped. So now, I've had three periods after the pill and they seem more regular than the last time I went off. Two periods since ttc, although I was hopeful that this January cycle was IB.

Maybe I'll look into ovuview then. We are taking every opportunity to bd before ovulation, but could use the help of some tools to pinpoint it more precisely.

Nice to hear from you.

Good luck!
Angelalala
Friend

I will try not to read too much into my symptoms

Postby First timer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:09 am

Hi,

I had some spotting some days after ovulation day and I was hopping it had something to do with pregnancy, so I started to really pay attention to my body. After feeling something different I immediately googled it and looked for it on these forums. I found that some women had the same symptoms and turned out to be pregnant, and others with the same symptoms got BFNs.

Of course I was always wishing that all of these symptoms (that I could swear I had never had before) were pregnancy symptoms and I had my hopes up. My cycles are 29 days long most of the time (28 to 32 days). In cd 32 I went for my annual blood count (I am a vegetarian, so I want to make sure I am doing things right and I am not anemic) and I asked for a blood pregnancy test because AF was not here yet.

I got my results today (cd 33)... I am not pregnant and I am not anemic. I think blood test are very accurate, so even if AF is late I will not retest. I am telling you this because today I believe that all of those new symptoms I experienced were not new at all. Maybe I have had them every month but I was never paying this much attention. This was only my first month TTC, my first BFN and it was frustrating, I cannot imagine how women TTC for several months or years must feel. I hope they get their BFP soon!

As for me, I will try not to read too much into my symptoms. I think it is important to pay attention, it is exiting and I learned so much about myself. But it can also become obsessing, more so during the time I was expecting/dreading AF and I believe this strong expectation can mess up my cycle. I will record my symptoms in my app, and I will continue take my BBT, chart and share as much as I can, but I will also try to relax more and think of 2015 as a year for TTC, instead of putting all that pressure on just the current cycle.

Sorry if this was too long, I thought important to tell this experience so BFN are not so frustrating for newbies like us.
Good luck, stay in touch!
First timer
Friend

Postby Angelalala » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:59 pm

Hey there,

What can I say, minus the blood test that is exactly what the last week looked like for me. I swore up and down I had all kinds of wonky symptoms I've "never" had before, negative, negative. Emotional rollercoaster. Sigh.

Agreed. I have no idea how women do this for months and years on end.

I just bought a book with good ratings, An Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant. Hoping it'll help me chill and put things in perspective.

Nice to hear from you and keeping my fingers crossed for the coming months for you.

*babydust*
Angelalala
Friend

Postby First timer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Hi,

I hope it is a good book. Let me know.

Here is another way to insert some humor into the two week wait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTHfHwJNx3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAr50IWHbwY&spfreload=1

Right now I am at CD #3, showing AF a good time. When AF is gone I will let romance scare away the systematic feeling from the TTC process. During the two week wait I will workout in the mornings to stay relaxed during the day. Do you have any other suggestions to avoid stress during the tww?

Good luck, have fun!
First timer
Friend

Postby Jzscott » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi ladies, I hope you don't mind my jumping in. My husband and I started out NTNP in August of 2012. By September of 2013 we officially started TTC. My entire life my cycles have been way off, lasting anywhere from 45-100+ days. I've been charting my cycles since 2012 on an app called Period Tracker. It calculates when you ovulate and when your next cycle should start based on your previous cycles. It also lets you add symptoms or any notes and if you do become pregnant it has a pregnancy mode as well. I've never been on BC, Ive just gone au naturale since my period started when I was 12. I recently took provera to bring on my period (10mg pills for 10days). On day two of the pill is when AF came and I still have 4 pills left but was told to finish them all. Tomorrow will be cycle day 5. I'm hoping that this month brings positive news!

Angelalala, I hope OPK's will work for you. This month I'm going to use the cheap line tests just to see if they actually work for me. I'd like to know whether the digitals work for you. When will you start using them? I'm going to look into that book you've mentioned. I could really use some ideas to keep my mind off of the whole process. Lately it has consumed me.

First Timer, I'm sorry that your blood results came back negative. It can be very stressful but hopefully this month will be your month! I'm only a couple days off from your cycle. I'd like to say I'm hopeful that this month will be the month for me but I'm so used to getting AF and having to wait another few months for it to show again that if my period doesn't show again within 30 days I won't suspect anything. I'm glad you have a nice routine to keep your stress levels low during your TTC process. Those videos definitely made the TWW/TTC process pretty funny! Thanks for sharing.
J&M <3
DS: 12/15/15
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Angelalala » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 am

Hi Ladies,

First timer, thanks for sharing the videos! Funny!

Yes, I will be sure to let you know what I think of the book when I find the time to read it. Still have 100 pages to go in A Prayer for Owen Meany...hopefully this weekend :)

Jzscott, I actually decided to hold off on clear blue and instead ordered a fertility pack from the UK with a BBT, ovulation test strips and pre-seed since I have not been successful finding that sort of thing in Germany. I just started temping this week, and when we saw the temp bump on Friday we Bd right away since it's when we predicted I'd O as well. But really was more just for fun/better safe than sorry. I think I'll temp for a while and then use these ovulation test strips before I spring for the expensive clear blue ones. If my body is being wacky right now anyway. But, if I do change my mind and go for the digital clear blue I'll be sure to share any insights.

As to dealing with the waiting, I do have some advice. In part, what made waiting so tough for me in January was hard core jetlag after an insane return trip with delays and cancellations (turning an 18 hour journey into almost 3 days). So I went into it already on edge and with my heart set on being pregnant immediately if not sooner. And of course I was symptom watching and going overboard. BFN several of them. So, now, dh and I are concentrating on treating ourselves. For example, at Christmas we filled each other's stocking with 24 date ideas or nice things we can do for each other and we are randomly selecting which one of them to enjoy now :) So that is keeping us busy with trying out new restaurants, recipes, movie nights, you name it. And we are planning a few small trips for the springtime. I love planning trips and that keeps my mind busy too. Plus, something else to look forward to. And if you're relaxing on a weekend trip away, definitely doesn't hurt your chances.

I of course am still deep down *impatient* and that's just who I am. But, dh is right about not overdoing it. So for now I'll try to stick to my yoga and nice long baths or curling up with a book and a tea to chill out. Maybe some red raspberry leaf tea ;)

Enjoy, ladies! Have a nice weekend. Sending positive vibes your way.
Angelalala
Friend

Postby Jzscott » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:48 pm

Angelalala, that 24 date ideas sounds like a great idea! Maybe I will do that for my husband as a Valentine's day gift. We love to get out and travel/explore so I could do different "getaway" ideas. It will definitely ease both our minds of TTC.

I've finished Clomid and I'm now on cycle day 14, hoping to ovulate soon. I've been using wondfo brand opks and today and last night I received pretty dark, but not quite positive, lines. I hope I will actually ovulate and not just gear up to ovulate without releasing an egg. I've also ordered some fertility lubrication (like preseed but without applicators). I won't be temping because my schedules are so wacky, but let me know how it goes for you.

I'm waiting to hear back from my doctor if I can have an ultrasound to see how my follicles look. I'm supposed to have one on cycle day 16 but I cannot make that appointment so my doctor will let me know whether I can have one cycle day 18 instead. Then I will have a progesterone check on cycle day 21. If it's low, indicating no ovulation, my doctor will have me start with Clomid again right away.

Like you, I'm very impatient. I would love the baby making process to be instantaneous! I'm glad you've found some ways to keep calm and take it easy even though it's very difficult! I hope you're doing well and I can't wait to see whether we will get bfps this month. Good luck!
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Angelalala » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:29 am

Good luck to you, Jzscott!

It's only my first month of temping and I even managed to miss two days...once cause I forgot to write it down and it wasn't stored in the thermometer and once cause I just plain forgot with my wacky schedule, as you say :) At any rate, I think it will take me several months to really figure it out.

Happy Valentine's day ladies!
Angelalala
Friend

Postby Jzscott » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:21 am

I'm sorry you managed to miss two days of temping! What cd are you? I hope you had a good Valentine's day!
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Angelalala » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:47 am

Hey Jzscott,

sorry for my late response. Yes I did, hope you guys had a nice V day also!

Um my period is late...cd 35 today, which is not unheard of for me, but no major period symptoms and neg hpt last week.

Could also be stress having to do with my / my husband's job and my homesickness. My body tends to be extra sensitive to my emotional stress, so I cannot really rule that out either.
Angelalala
Friend

Postby Angelalala » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:10 pm

Update...
on 2/22 AF was still MIA and I took a hpt on a whim, definite BFP. Could hardly believe it so I took two more, also very quickly BFP's.

It's been a whirlwind week, had my doctor confirm and saw the embryo on the ultrasound. Just told my parents now.

Having the usual digestive symptoms and am in general just worn out. Still it hasn't really sunk in yet! wow!
Angelalala
Friend

Postby Jzscott » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:43 pm

Oh my gosh angelalala! That's so exciting. I'm sorry for the delayed response. How far along are you now? When is your due date? Is there anything you did this month that you think helped you comceive? I'm looking for all the advice I can take!
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Angelalala » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:21 am

Hey jzscott, thank you!

I'm 6 weeks now and due at the end of October. Right in time for my birthday. Exciting!

Well, the advice I took from the Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant was to watch my temperatures and start trying the day before they dropped. So we bd'd in the morning of the day before my predicted ovulation. I guess since my cycle has been wacky lately, it was better to err on the safe side since the sperm can live for a while but the egg is only viable for a few hours.

The other advice is the cliche stuff about not stressing and focusing on it too much, which I'm sure everyone has heard too many times. But in December and January we tried really hard and frequently, and I was devastated to see my period. After my January period I decided to take it slow, do a few months of temping and just enjoy nice dinners out and weekends away with my husband and see what was in the cards for us. Oh, and I wasn't stingy with alcohol...which turned out to be funny because that was the reason I ended up taking the test and finding out I was pregnant in the first place. The Saturday night before the bfp champagne was on sale at the store so I got a bottle and I got suspicious when my period still didn't show up Sunday morning, so I reasoned with myself that before I have several mimosas I should just double check and ta-da. Not that I am a big drinker or anything, but I just relaxed. I had my omega 3 pills and prenatal vitamins and was eating healthy, but gave myself a break from going crazy and symptom spotting. And that meant that when I was having insane fatigue, no period, and stomach issues I didn't get the message my body was sending me right away because I didn't expect it.

I can really recommend the book, if for no other reason than to remind us that we are not alone in being impatient, and maybe seeing lots of reasons to calm down and not blame ourselves if it doesn't work immediately.

xoxo
Angelalala
Friend

Next

Return to TTC in our 20s