Stay At home Mom's in your 20's!

Meet others who are TTC in their 20s

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

What do you do?

Poll ended at Sat May 24, 2008 6:33 pm

Stay at home?
69%
Work more than 30 hours a week? (Full-time)
17%
Work less than 30 hours a week? (Part-time)
14%

Total votes : 29

Postby clairelou84 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:29 am

Im at stay at home mum .. My hubby works full time .. But so do i lol :D
ectopic pregnancy ,Left tube removed 5th november 2008 :(
ImageImage

ImageImage
clairelou84

Postby andrea021505 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:07 pm

I am a SAHM as well. Dh is a union plumber so he makes decent money. I babysit out of the home to have some extra money so that we are able to enjoy our 3 yr old and go places as a family. At one point I was bringing in $1800.00 a month just babysitting. It came in handy when DH was laid off over the winter. I budget very stingy though... so that helps
andrea021505

Postby starbuckschick » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:34 pm

i am so glad to see ladies our age talking about this. my dh and i are so happy to be ttc #1, but we're not sure if i'll be able to stay home. the cost of daycare is really expensive... but we just bought our first house and bills are tight as is. i'm really afraid of having someone else basically raise our child- but on the other hand we need to pay our mortgage.

it is such a hard thing to think about. :(
Me- (Greta) 29
Dh- (James) 27
Married- 2004
PG with #1
Due- May 12, 2009

starbuckschick
Friend

Postby MegsRemainsHopeful » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:56 pm

It's so nice to continue to read what others are going through as well! Dh is now an Air Traffic Controller so we're hoping that once he is fully certified (1 1/2 years) we'll be able to afford for me to be a SAHM if we even have kids at that point! LOL

Starbuckschick, I've been calculating and what I earn versus what it will cost to put our child in daycare and all those expenses and how much am I relaly going to be bringing home... KWIM??

Congrats on your first house! That's so exciting!!!!

Sugarstar, I'm so respectful of your capabilities to be apart for so much!!! With dh being gone for this 13 weeks is killing me and I've been able to see him a few times here and there!!!! LOL
Megs {28} DH {31}
Breastfeeding and pregnant!!
Looking forward to cloth diapering another bum!! EDD July 30!

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/maemay03
http://www.NotTheUglyDuckling.blogspot.com
http://www.loststorkfoundation.org
MegsRemainsHopeful
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby lalalola » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:14 pm

sugarstar wrote:I am what they call an "oil wife" :) My husband works on the biggest machinery in the world, at an oil plant in a remote region of Canada...Keepin' gas/oil flowing to Canada, the US and overseas...I used to also work up there, but I left because it was way way too cold (-60 C) and too remote...so he commutes back and forth on his days off.

Ditto.

I have always planned to be a SAHM but DH and I want to raise our children together, so he is going to take the pay cut and work at home. We've have saved up a nice nest egg, have no debt and own our own home.
TTC #1<br /><br />
lalalola

Postby MegsRemainsHopeful » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:29 pm

Lalalola, that's so neat that you're able to plan for both you and dh to be at home and raise your children! :-) May I admit I'm a bit jealous?? :-)

So, do you and sugarstar's dh's work together?? How weird would that be?? LOL
Megs {28} DH {31}

MegsRemainsHopeful
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby flipflip » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:46 am

LOL, that would be totally wierd eh??

Yeah its tough being apart this much...but we are just waiting until he is a journeyman and then he can move closer to home. We both agreed that we want to raise our kids here (I grew up here and I turned out decent LOL) so we will just have to play the waiting game :)
flipflip
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby butterflykisses » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:08 am

I have an 8 year old and work part time, and when our next baby comes Ill be full time SAHM :)
TTC#2 since April 2008
DX PCOS June 2007 via ultrasound
50mg Clomid CD 3-7 July 2007 - failed
50mg Clomid CD 3-7 Aug 2008
trigger shot Aug 11th 2008 with 1 good follicle

RE appt coming up Sept 2nd, hoping we don't need it!
butterflykisses
Friend

Postby Hani » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:07 pm

hello ladies

My mom was a SAHM and I believe that made a BIG difference. The problem is though now that we are all grown up...the youngest my brother is almost 21. My mom is having trouble coping as she seems to have lost her purpose and is trying to find new things to occupy (yes I am working on a grandchild to keep her occupied :wink: )

I want to be a SAHM but in order to pay the mortgage, I am starting a bookkeeping business from home. If all goes well my husband would be able to work part time as well.

DS 28 DH 29
TTC # 1
Hani
Friend

Postby Confused82 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:01 am

You ladies are so lucky there is no way I could be a SAHM and not because I dont want to but because I live in Washington DC and it is really exspensive here the houses are through the roof, gas, groceries everything is extremely high. I went to school from criminal justice and right now I have a secure future with the secret service, I am 11 weeks pregnant and I dont think I will be staying at home longer than three months :cry:. I am planning to let my aunt keep my baby but even with my BF salary we cannot afford for one of us to be without income. I guess it has its perks how many kids can go to work with mom and meet the president. Maybe one day I can be a SAHM but I would have to relocate. I have a six year old son and I bring him into the office whenever school is closed. But you ladies enjoy that time at home watching your babies grow, I wish I could do the same one day.
Confused82
Friend

Postby Isabel&Olive » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:02 pm

I stay home. I sell on eBay part time though and it helps with our bills.
Scheduled CS April 8th :D
Isabel&Olive

Postby cassies_mum22 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:01 pm

I'm 23, I have been a SAHM since our daughter was born in feb 2006, at that point DF was in 3rd year university and just worked part time but we had gov assistance and I started a business on the internet from home and that's how we made it work. Obviously we didn't intend to get pregnant while he was still studying and we hadn't even lived together yet! We also had the bonus of about half priced rent because my mother owns 3 properties and has provided somewhere for us to live until the start of this year, the reason we can afford for me to stay at home now is that when DF graduated he got a job with a mining company as an engineer and we get $20,000 a year extra to live 1200 km away from our families. I considered getting a job this year, more for fun that for anything, but I started uni myself and we were trying for our 2nd baby (now due in December) so I am still at home :) I think one of the major factors determining whether families can live on single income or not is related to mortgages, I live in western australia and in the last 5 years housing prices have tripled and for a decent house it will cost us $400,000, repayments on that is like $700 a week, at the moment we live in company housing which is very cheap but when we do want a home and we move back to the city and kick out tenants, I will either need to get a job to contribute or DF's salary will need to double
&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.tickercentral.com&quot;&gt;&lt;img border=&quot;0&quot; src=&quot;http://www.tickercentral.com/view/9tv9/1.png&quot;&gt;&lt;/a&gt;<br />
cassies_mum22

Postby Elizard711 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:11 am

I would love to be a SAHM, or at least only work part-time, but right now DH is starting a new business with his Dad and so until that gets going strongly, we need me to work full time for the benefits. Plus we live in CA, and everything is really expensive, I hoping that by the time we TTC #2 I can be a SAHM. Right now though my sister-in-law (who is a home care nurse) is thinking about startign an at home day care (no more thatn 6 kids)so she can stay at home for their daughter (my niece, who is 9 mos) anyway, I keep encouraging her t do so, becuase then our abby would be with their aunti while I'm at work, plus she's a nurse so I owuld be very confortable with that!
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Me: 24 DH: 24
Married Since: 10/19/07
Elizard711

Postby Elizard711 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 am

Wow I'm having trouble with spelling today!
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Me: 24 DH: 24
Married Since: 10/19/07
Elizard711

Postby MegsRemainsHopeful » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Elizard, I love your sig pic! Very sexy and yet playful!

Your plan of having your SIL watch your LO is second best... :-) I hope one of the two works out for you!!!

Cassies, It seems you have lucked out in regards to a lot of your situation there! :-) I hope that luck continues...

Cheese, I tried the whole selling on ebay thing and became frustrated when I had to pay and yet my item did not sell... :-( I have heard great things about it though and my little brother sells and buys baseball cards non stop on it and makes hundreds of dollars on ONE card! CRAZY!!!!

Hani, how exciting that you're starting a bookkeeping business from home! I hope it does go well for you!!!! Do you have any previous experience in this?? How did you go about starting this?? :-)

butterfly, how many hours a week do you work currently? Just curious why the next baby will turn you into a full time SAHM other than now?? :-) just curious!

Sugar, that's just so neat that you have the ability to BOTH be around so much to raise your kids!!! :-)

By any chance, anyone here with a Bachelors degree or higher? I have also been struggling with that... I went to school, am in so much debt becuase of it yet I don't want to use it for the a-typical reason to earn more money yet I want to work for free at my ideal job (a SAHM)... just curious as to what others think!
Megs {28} DH {31}

MegsRemainsHopeful
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

PreviousNext

Return to TTC in our 20s