Anyone wanna join?

Meet others who are TTC in their 30s

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Anyone wanna join?

Postby 2013mommy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm looking for a 30-something cycle "buddy", maybe also TTC#1.
I'm brand new at actually TTC although I've stalked these boards for awhile. I love how everyone is so supportive and informative here.

I'm about 7dpo today and have a 26/27 day VERY regular cycle.
Me: 34 (Already?! How'd THAT happen?)
DH: 38

TTC#1, who will likely be our 1 & only!
2013mommy

Re: Anyone wanna join?

Postby jenblaze » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Hey 2013mommy.... I am 34 ttc #1, 3rd cycle, haven't O'd yet, though.. expecting to do so between the 10th and 15th of this month.
I am usually pretty regular (28 days), but AF showed up 3 days early this month.

Anyways, we aren't cycle buddies, but maybe we can be "TTC #1 in our 30s" buddies?

GL and lots of baby dust to you!
Jen
Me: 35
DH: 35
TTC #1 since 11/2012 (1 chemical pg in March)
BFP 7/3/2013, EDD 3/15/2014

HCG #1 - 21
p4 #1 - 8.0
HCG #2 - 105
HCG #3 - 791
p4 #2 - 16.2

Stanley
jenblaze
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 2013mommy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:38 am

Hi jenblaze!
Sounds good to me!

I'm 34, will be 35 next month. DH is 38. We've been married for a few years but together for waaaaay longer. Guess we are just late bloomers with everything - marriage, kids, etc. We never really felt like the time was "right" for a baby until recently.

Just started TTC this cycle so beyond knowing that AF comes every 26-27 days, I havent started charting or checking BBTs or using OPKs yet. I just registered on FertilityFriend & ordered a BBThermometer.
Do you chart?

2013mommy

Postby jenblaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 am

Hey! I'm going to be 35 next month as well, on 2/15 :)
DH is also 34 (he's a few months younger than me). We married in 2010, but he deployed to Iraq in 2011, so that year was out for us. Then I learned that I had some health complications as he was returning home, it took most of 2012 to get healthy. That brings me to today, it's our 3rd cycle. It's amazing how quickly you go from 30 to almost 35, isn't it?

I started charting last month. I scared the crap out of myself in the 1st month - information overload, peeing on OPKs, trying to understand cervical mucus, symptom-spotting...just felt a little out of control. I figured that charting would be helpful because I would have real data to compare month over month. I also use a CBFM (clearblue feriltiy monitor). Expensive, but I like that it picks up 2 different hormones. It's amazing the amount of effort and money I'm putting into trying to control what some say is the most natural thing in the world. Here I am, trying to wrangle it in my timeframe!

I hope you like charting. I also use FertilityFriend. You are 1/2-way done with your tww, then. How is it going?

HCG #1 - 21
p4 #1 - 8.0
HCG #2 - 105
HCG #3 - 791
p4 #2 - 16.2

Stanley
jenblaze
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 2013mommy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:38 am

Hey, I'll be 35 on 2/16! (Remember when birthdays were something to look forward to?!)

I'm definitely in information overload, I had no idea there were so many things you could do to track/monitor your fertility. I guess I just always assumed that getting pregnant would be a no-brainer. Add to that all the things you read/hear about what happens to your fertility after 35 & it can be totally overwhelming. I have two GFs that are a bit older, 39 & 41, they both had their first baby recently so that helps to put my mind at ease a bit.

I actually POAS at what according to my novice calculation would have been 7dpo. It looked completely negative. I then went to go work out and picked up the test about an hour later & almost passed out! I'm pretty convinced it was just an evap but I posted it on the POAS board for opinions. I drink a ton of water throughout the day so Ive told myself I won't test again til the morning.

How accurate is the fertility monitor you use? Is it easier than using OPK dipsticks? I work in healthcare and my office has an overwhelming supply of HPTs so I have the luxury of using those as opposed to buying. (Although my TTC isn't anything I've shared with my co-workers so I will only test at home!)

As for fertility friend, I'm debating whether or not to do the deluxe/VIP version. Which are you using & how helpful has it been?

2013mommy

Postby jenblaze » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 am

Ah the dreaded 35. Seriously - I can't look at another stat about my odds of conceiving decreasing or my chances of complications increasing - it's depressing! We started ttc in November and I was actually holding out hope that it would be ok because i was still 34. I question my logic all the time.

As far as your POAS... I just looked at it and it does look promising, you'll have to keep me posted. FX for you!!!

The monitor detected Peak fertility days on the same days as my ff chart detected ovulation based on my temps and CM, so I'd say pretty accurate. It's easy because you just turn it on (the monitor) and it tells you when it wants you to POAS, you pee, insert the stick and it tells you if you are Low, High, or Peak Fertility. I got mine for $145.00 on amazon. The sticks are $45-60 for a box of 30 and you use 10-20 per month, depending on what your cycle; as the monitor gets to know your cycle, it asks you to POAS less. You have to start with the monitor on the first day of your cycle.

I used CB OPKs my first month and those were ok. I got the smiley face twice, but wasn't sure when I O'd...so, I switched to the monitor + the chart for confirmation of O. I also really like the chart because I like to watch my Post O temps. I'm looking forward to seeing patterns month over month.

Fertility Friend gave me a free VIP trial. It just ended. I don't think it is worth it for what you get:
- Pregnancy monitor - this made me crazy. It gives you a report of what happened in your cycle and what MIGHT happen, including your estimated due date and how many early pregnancy points you get based on symptoms - I had 66 and still BFN. Got my hopes up (silly me) and crushed me a little. Also tells you if you timed intercourse well, kind of a no-brainer for me.
- Fertility Analyzer - this never made sense to me. I had a few factors that I need to look at (temperatures, OPKs/monitor, CM, BD, test results), I don't need an analyzer for that. The one thing I liked about this is that it would tell me if something was out of whack, for example, taking temps at different times throughout the morning, or having fertile CM after my O date.
- Info/Tidbits - basically gives you little blurbs about the ttc process: " Immediately following your menstruation, there is usually a period of dry CM," or whatever. Meh, I can find all of that information in my TYOCF book.

However, now that I said that, I'll probably find something that I liked and end up paying. Right now it is $45 for the year for me. Not a ton of cash, but I was really annoyed with the false hope it gave me. Sorry, didn't realize I was so angry at FertilityFriend!

And lucky you... free HPTs!!

HCG #1 - 21
p4 #1 - 8.0
HCG #2 - 105
HCG #3 - 791
p4 #2 - 16.2

Stanley
jenblaze
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jenblaze » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 am

OK, I just learned that the free FF membership doesn't show your symptoms on the chart. This was something I actually found helpful while I was reviewing my temps. ...

HCG #1 - 21
p4 #1 - 8.0
HCG #2 - 105
HCG #3 - 791
p4 #2 - 16.2

Stanley
jenblaze
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 2013mommy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:44 am

Hey there!
Finally have a minute to check the boards here. Wanted to get on last night but got all caught up in mindless TV & cleaning. How two people and a dog can dirty up a house so quickly is beyond me...and I hate spending weekend days doing housework!

As for FF, I think it gives me a month of VIP free, so I'll roll with that for now (kinda silly offering first month free when you really aren't sure what you are doing on there!) I got a BBT thermometer yesterday so I starte today with checking my temp as soon as my alarm went off. I was a bit surprised, it was 98.7, I assumed it would have been lower? My hubby asked me if I was doing it right, LOL. Um...I'm a nurse, let's hope I know how to use a thermometer. SMH.

I also POAS this morning and I can see this totally becoming an addiction. BFN. I wouldn't let myself take it outta the trash to check it again. Those evaps are cruel.

I will order some OPKs, cheap ones. I almost did earlier today but decided to wait til AF shows up JUST INCASE I get a BFP.

I was stalking some other boards and was reading up on soft cups. Have you heard of these and/or using them for conception?? I kinda like the idea and it does make sense - keeping the swimmers where they need to be.

2013mommy

Postby 2013mommy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 am

BTW, when are you expecting to O??

2013mommy

Postby jenblaze » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi!
I've been sick the last week and am in the 97.7 mark... Last month, post O, I had temps in the 98.4 mark. Lovely DH asking you if you are taking your temp correctly - LOL! It will make more sense once you can start fresh at the beginning of a cycle and see your lines rise and dip as you get later in the cycle. Hopefully, you'll have a BFP and won't need to see it though :)

I saw something about those soft cups and decided to file that away for future consideration - DH is already overwhelmed with the amount of ttc paraphenalia on my nightstand. Also, I read somewhere that they don't make sense to ttc because the most viable swimmers are already on their way to the egg by the time you would even be able to put the softcup in. Who really knows though...

I am expecting to O around Jan 15, I think. I'm thinking I'll have "high fertility" (according to my CBFM) starting 1/12, which is just in time for DH to get home from training. Looks like i'll be busy this weekend!

POAS addiction....cycle 1, I POAS quite a bit, cycle 2, I did it once and then AF showed up early. This time, I'm going to make myself wait until 14 DPO, if I can help it. However, if I had free HPTs, that would be a different story. $9.00 for 2 FRERs is QUITE pricey in my opinion.

I have been taking Mucinex for my flu/cold symptoms, so I'll let you know if it makes a difference with my cm. I feel like a mad scientist in the bathroom everyday.

I am really going to try to relax this cycle and let nature take it's course. However, I reserve the right to symptom spot like a lunatic.

How many DPO are you?

HCG #1 - 21
p4 #1 - 8.0
HCG #2 - 105
HCG #3 - 791
p4 #2 - 16.2

Stanley
jenblaze
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 2013mommy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:04 am

Hey Jen (I'm assuming its 'Jen' by your SN!). I'm Amanda, BTW. Haha, feel kinda silly referring to someone that knows my menstrual cycle by a screen name. :)

According to my elementary level charting, I'm 10 or 11 dpo. I'm hoping that after a month of temp charting I'll have some confirmation of my O day better. I'm hoping I'm kinda close bc the next two cycles predic O time on weekends...much more free time to BD!

I'm gonna try my best not to symptom spot, we'll see how that goes. It's kind of a crapshoot anyway, I have all kinds of "pregnancy" symptoms since changing up my lifestyle - weaning myself off of my caffeine habit, new workouts at the gym, fewer happy hours & just getting back to regular life after the holidays. I'm cranky, tired, sore, intermittently headache-y lately so I can't obsess over those things. I've also decided no more POAS until AF is due. Hopefully this cycle's obsession with it was just due to the novelty of it all.

I think if in a few cycles I'm still BFN, I might try the soft cups. Can't hurt, right?!

I charted my temp this AM, .2 degrees lower than yesterday and I was cracking up at how the line on FF took such a nosedive! I know its only bc I have two temps on there, but it makes it look like such a big deal!

I also checked out the CB monitor, found it online at Costco for like $120ish. While that doesn't seem like a huge investment, I'd rather keep track the old fashioned way for awhile. That 120 could buy some cute shoes, lol.

2013mommy

Postby jenblaze » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:49 am

Hi Amanda - yes, it's Jen. Thank you for telling me your name, it's been a bit weird to be calling you "mommy" in my head! :D

I'm also trying to stop the caffeine habit. Been cutting way back on coffee, mixing decaf with regular coffee to trick myself. I wish I could totally give it up, but I'm not there yet (maybe in a few months). What I have been doing is stress eating - I've gained a lot of weight in the last few months and I haven't been working out like I should. Starting back with hot yoga on Monday and I'm looking forward to it - I think it will help me relax. Also looking at having some fertility massages - I really need to relax and I can justify the cost if it's related to ttc! :)

Re your temps... you should see my chart - I had the flu over the weekend and had a temp of 101 on saturday. Now that is a spike ! It looks so dramatic. What's really cool though is that I'm seeing some patterns, like last month, I had a dip on CD9, and I had a similar dip this morning which is also CD9. I think its neat to see but I'm even more interested in what happens after O and watching those temps. It's the geek in me.

Hope you don't obsess too much over the next few days. I find myself stalking the BFP stories like a weirdo over the weekends.

HCG #1 - 21
p4 #1 - 8.0
HCG #2 - 105
HCG #3 - 791
p4 #2 - 16.2

Stanley
jenblaze
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 2013mommy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:34 am

Hey Jen, happy Monday! (I'm convinced if I say that enough then I'll start actually liking Mondays.)

I broke down yesterday & POAS. So much for willpower. LOL. BFN, which is what I expected, so no surprises there. I'm assuming AF will be here tomorrow or Wednesday, which is kind of a good thing...atleast I can get a clean slate & my charting will start to make more sense!

Fertility massages?! Okay, I so need to know more!

Hopefully you got alot of BD in this weekend!

2013mommy

Postby jenblaze » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Yeah... happy Monday. At least it's almost the end of the workday for me.

Sorry about your BFN :( - it's so discouraging, even if you do expect it. I've decided that from now on, I'll only test at 14 dpo. It's just too upsetting to see those BFNs for me.

Fertility massages...they are meant to relax you and to stimulate ovulation. I've heard they work on your back and abdomen to unblock your chi, and increase the flow of your nervous/circulatory/lymphatic systems. A friend of a friend is a fertility massage therapist and she has had a good success rate with her clients, so, i think it may be worth a shot.

Just today I received a High reading on my CBFM, and my cervical mucus became fertile quality. So, we'll be BD machines for the next few days. However, my temps are a bit weird, but I chalk that up to the flu. DH has a cold, so I hope he's up for BDing!

HCG #1 - 21
p4 #1 - 8.0
HCG #2 - 105
HCG #3 - 791
p4 #2 - 16.2

Stanley
jenblaze
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby 2013mommy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:30 pm

And it's only now Tuesday...ugh. Weekends need to be more frequent!

I had a pretty big temp drop today so I'm assuming AF will be here tonight or tomorrow. I can usually tell when she's about to make her appearance bc I'll get dull achy cramps. But I took an Aleve this morning for a nasty sinus headache -- so who knows.

So today's research was on PreSeed. I keep reading all about it on these boards and it seems to get really good reviews. I think they have it here at our grocery stores & pharmacies but I found something called Conceive Plus on Amazon. (Free shipping AND I don't have to carry lube up to the register?! Count me in!) So, I figured it can't hurt & ordered it along with the OPK test strips this morning.

Kind of off-topic but I noticed your siggy says Chicago. Have you always lived there? I've been in Texas for about 6 years now but I'm anything BUT a Texan. LOL. I still don't say "y'all" and within a few minutes of talking to me people pick out my Northeast accent. I absolutely love living here but I do on occasion miss the snow & the hustle of NY/NJ.

2013mommy

Next

Return to TTC in our 30s