TTC #2 at 38 years old - #1 was born 20 years ago!

Meet others who are TTC in their 30s

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TTC #2 at 38 years old - #1 was born 20 years ago!

Postby emsyj2014 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi

I am trying to have my 2nd child 20 years after my 1st! True love has finally found me!

This will be his 1st and none of my friends understand the obsession with TTC and the 2WW!!!

I had a Mirena for 12 years - waited 40 days for my 1st AF and I think I am now 4 DPO after what appears to be a normal 1st cycle..

Can anyone identify with me? Want to obsess with me??!

I have charting mania!!!!
Me 38 DP 28 TTC #2 for me - My DS #1 is 19 years old!!

Never too late to find happiness... <3

My Ovulation Chart
emsyj2014
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: TTC #2 at 38 years old - #1 was born 20 years ago!

Postby Happyfroggy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi Emsy,

I saw your thread in buddy groups also :D Makes sense to have more than one though. As that one could be for the chartaholics and this one for the ladies in their 30's (I am also in my 30's).

How long did it take you to have your 1st child or was he a surprise? :wink:
BFP on Friday Feb 3rd 2017 but ended in miscarriage at 7 1/2 weeks :(

Didn't chart this time, last time was TTC for over a year, BFP chart from daughter :D :
My Ovulation Chart
Happyfroggy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby emsyj2014 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Hiya

He was very much a surprise so this is a whole new world for me! I'm kind of enjoying it though but that may change in a few months if no BFP!

Are you going for #1?

My Ovulation Chart
emsyj2014
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby bmclean » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi! I am ttc#1! I also had a mirena for 12 years. .. this is the fourth month ttc for us.I have not charted at all but did start using opk this month. If it doesn't happen soon I may start charting but just not sure if I have enough patience for that.. good luck to you!
me -34 dh-35
4th month ttc
no charting or temping yet (yet!)
bmclean

Postby emsyj2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:48 am

Hi bmclean!

I'm kind of enjoying the charting it's become a hobby!

You're the only other person I've come across with such long term Mirena! Did you AF during that time? I didn't.. I was surprised to see a positive opk to be honest and more surprised to see a temp increase.

I was worried about the long term Mirena effects as I think it was fairly new when we got it.. Hope all goes well for you this month! Helps to know your 5 day window to maximise your chances! Happy opk-ing!

My Ovulation Chart
emsyj2014
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Happyfroggy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi Emsy,

Going for #2 :)

I agree, I avoided charting thinking it would be a hassle but I love it. It gives so much peace of mind it's totally worth it. Plus taking my temp every morning has just become habit now and I do it without even having to think about it, it's just automatic. I usually hit snooze, temp, go back to sleep for a few minutes. Get up to get ready and then use the memory function to see what my temp was, although surprisingly I usually remember what the number was.

bmclean, I can understand wanting to wait to start charting. I waited until my 8th month to start charting. Although, to be honest, I wish I would have started sooner so I could have known what was going on.

Didn't chart this time, last time was TTC for over a year, BFP chart from daughter :D :
My Ovulation Chart
Happyfroggy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bmclean » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:56 pm

I hear a lot of ladies really enjoy it. I ordered a bbt just in case I decide to start doing it... one of the biggest reasons I want to hold off is because I dont want to stress dh out about it. He really wants a baby but he doesn't want it to seem like a lot of work and we recently had some friends of ours have a lot of marital problems bc of not being able to conceive and he doesn't want it to be that way... a chore. Although its not a chore for him. .haha. I think he thinks it will take the passion out of it. I can't wait to see everyone's results this month though
me -34 dh-35
4th month ttc
bmclean

Postby bmclean » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:58 pm

And yes emsjay I did af very regularly through the mirena. I have heard a l.p. of ladies have had problems with them but I loved having it. If I ever get a bfp then I plan on getting another one afterwards.
me -34 dh-35
4th month ttc
bmclean

Postby emsyj2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi bmclean I get what you mean, I'm keeping the TTC down to a minimum next month as DP was struggling with it all during ov week!!

I loved the Mirena too until I wanted a BFP but I'd have another one too afterwards - I used to love the lack of AF!

Happy froggy I have the same morning routine! Snooze, temp & sleep lol

Almost another day down lol

My Ovulation Chart
emsyj2014
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Happyfroggy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:51 pm

bmclean wrote:I hear a lot of ladies really enjoy it. I ordered a bbt just in case I decide to start doing it... one of the biggest reasons I want to hold off is because I dont want to stress dh out about it. He really wants a baby but he doesn't want it to seem like a lot of work and we recently had some friends of ours have a lot of marital problems bc of not being able to conceive and he doesn't want it to be that way... a chore. Although its not a chore for him. .haha. I think he thinks it will take the passion out of it. I can't wait to see everyone's results this month though

Hey bmclean...I'm not sure what you mean because charting doesn't predict ovulation it only tells you 3 days afterward that you have ovulated and does not require any input/knowledge on your DH's part. My DH was not aware when I started doing it as surprisingly he never even noticed the beep of the thermometer. Now he knows and I have stressed to him that it does not tell me when I am fertile (which is true), only confirms that I am ovulating and my hormones are working normally. As he would be totally turned off if he thought I was timing intercourse on purpose.

That said, I don't tell him about OPK's or about CM charting! As those do predict ovulation and like I said, I know he wouldn't want to do it if he knew it was 'on purpose'.

So yeah, technically OPK's would be more stress on a DH than temperature charting since the one involved timed intercourse and the other doesn't.

One thing I love about charting is it DOES tell you when you can stop having sex. LOL! I don't tell DH that is one of the benefits but personally I don't have a huge sex drive and so I like knowing it's okay to stop. Yep, just made myself sound like an old maid, right?

Anyway, I think at 4 months I totally get why you wouldn't want to start, so not trying to pressure you at all. Just wanted to clear up the myths though that it is highly labour intensive or stressing to Husbands because it's not.

My Ovulation Chart
Happyfroggy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby emsyj2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 pm

I agree, I went a bit overboard this month with TMI - if I hadn't told him every day what I was doing; he would never have realised!

I doubt he's even aware of my temp taking as he's a heavy sleeper lol

If I didn't chart I'd worry something wasn't working but then again, I'm also in a hurry and want to nail those 5 days every month!

My Ovulation Chart
emsyj2014
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Happyfroggy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:07 pm

oh and bmclean I love your signature! This gave me a laugh "no charting or temping yet (yet!)"

I feel like mine should say something similar except mine would be more along the lines of "not diagnosed as clinically insane yet (yet!)" ;)

Sigh, I'm definitely half-way to crazy town. :lol:

My Ovulation Chart
Happyfroggy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bmclean » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:03 pm

I think the benefits of charting are very useful and honestly it is something I have been reading a lot about lately to gain some more insight. I also dont tell dh about opk but he knows about cm. His words to me were "do what you have to do to make this happen but I wanna pretend it just happened" he is a very light sleeper and also my sleeping habits are crazy so he would totally see the bbt and be suspicious...but after this tww he may just have to freak out cause I'm thinking of doing it :) and thank you for the explanation.... it is a useful tool to be in tuned with our bodies.
me -34 dh-35
4th month ttc
bmclean

Postby emsyj2014 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:54 am

well good luck with whatever you do - I don't think men really get it, they think it does just happen, which it does (it did to me at 18 years old!), but there comes a point in our lives when we need to speed up the process!! lol

My Ovulation Chart
emsyj2014
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby maddy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Good luck emsy!
maddy

Next

Return to TTC in our 30s