HPT self control

Meet others who are TTC in their 30s

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

HPT self control

Postby Littlecreek » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:07 am

Do any of you lovelies have any advice on how to not obsessively take hpts? I took one 7 dpo because I couldn't stand the not knowing any more. My brain did the math and knew the probability of implantation occurring that quickly, but I POAS anyway. I told myself I wouldn't use the other test until Friday, the day before AF was due. And then only if there had been zero spotting. So does the obsessing get any better (this is my first cycle ttc #2) or is it pretty much going to dominate my brain until the BFP rolls around?
TTC #1 July 2012
BFP July 2012
DD born April 2013
TTC #2 starting Oct 2014
Littlecreek

Re: HPT self control

Postby BeeCee33 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:39 pm

I'd say either buy a whole bunch of internet cheapies so you don't feel bad using them every day, or have DH hide your tests. Tell him he's allowed to give you one every two days or something.

For me, the letdown of seeing a bfn helps me hold off until I know there is not just a slight chance, but a good chance that it will catch. I feel worse after getting a bfn than I do sitting and wondering, but that's just me.

Also, I used to have to talk myself out of it. You said you took one 7 dpo because you couldn't stand not knowing, but you took it and you STILL don't know, and you're down a test! Those are the types of things I remind myself of when I feel really tempted at a time I know deep down I should just wait.

When it comes down to it, I think you just need to decide what helps YOU get through the TWW easiest. Are you less stressed after you see the bfn? If so, take one every day! Are you like me, and it just frustrates and depresses you? Make a plan so you either won't or can't take so many.

Unfortunately no amount of peeing on a stick can make that constant wondering go away. ;)
Me (Becca): 31 DH:36

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: HPT self control

Postby Littlecreek » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:30 am

Sweetie, that reply helped a lot. I was really tempted last night, but then focused on logic. Even if it was negative it wouldn't mean anything. It won't mean anything until Saturday when AF is supposed to show up. I also read the side of the box of the tests and it said that in their tests of women who ended up with a BFP, only 53% got a BFP when testing 4 days before a missed period. That jumps to 87% when testing one day before. So I need to just cool it til the weekend. My brain is still over analyzing every feeling in my tummy, but that's to be expected. :) Thanks hun!
TTC #1 July 2012
BFP July 2012
DD born April 2013
TTC #2 starting Oct 2014
Littlecreek

Return to TTC in our 30s