Newbie here!

Meet others who are TTC in their 30s

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Newbie here!

Postby TTCtexan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:49 am

Newbie, rookie, TTC virgin. :-)
Hi Ladies,
I've been stalking the boards here for a bit and decided it's time to join. I'm 36, TTC #1. (And 36 is ancient for TTC by Texas standards!!) Just really started getting serious about it this cycle. DH is a few years older, will be his #1 as well.
I have a regular 28 day cycle, but have never charted temps or anything beyond keeping track so I know when to expect AF.
I'm on Day 13 today and would love to find a buddy on here in a similar situation. I love all the support everyone gives on here - I have found answers to questions I didn't know I had!!
I definitely have an impatient nature, so I'm way curious about trying preseed & soft cups - they seem like a very easy, noninvasive way to help possibly speed up this process.

Glad to finally be here and excited to meet y'all!
TTCtexan
Friend

Re: Newbie here!

Postby pumpkinseed » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi TTCTexan,

Welcome! I'm fairly new here, too. I'm 36, husband 42, trying to conceive our #1 also. My cycle is usually 28-30 days. Lately it's been 30 days. I can pretty much count on my period the same day each month. My labs came back good, husband's counts are good but his morphology (normal shaped sperm) is low, so I'm worried about that, even though nurse said not to worry, he has enough "normies" to get in there apparently as his sperm count is quite high. I am considering IUI after cycle 6 but we'll see. I don't like drugs - I like doing things naturally. I know they say it can take awhile, but if we can up the odds, I guess it's worth a shot.

I recommend BBT charting, just to get a feel for when you're about to O. Fertility friend has a free app so you can record your temps, symptoms, etc. I also use OPK's (the wondfo cheapies) but I have to admit they are addictive and haven't helped me so far :(

We are on cycle #5, currently on 10-11 DPO (not sure 'exactly' when I O'd). I am impatient as well so the whole waiting game is frustrating. I have not tried the soft cups but I'm curious as well. I feel like it all "falls out" (sorry if TMI) but I guess that is normal. We do use pre-seed and conceive plus.

Would love a little turkey or christmas surprise, as I'm sure a lot of ladies on here would. I can just picture surprising my husband on Christmas day - it would be amazing. Wishing you lots of luck!
Me: 37 / DH: 43 / G-free / Autoimmune thyroid disease (nature-throid)
Lovenox, metanx, baby aspirin, prometrium, vitamin d3, prenatal, progesterone
MMC: 01-14-15
CP: 4-12-15
MMC: 7-13-15 (d&c, heartbeat was seen but gone at 8 weeks, 2 days)
TTC ON HOLD WHILE I AWAIT RESULTS, HOPING FOR RAINBOW BABY
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TTCtexan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:46 am

Hi pumpkinseed!
Sorry for rhe long response time - had a busy weekend.
So I did some more 'research' and picked up OPKs and soft cups on Friday. (I'm impatient and impulsive, remember?!) Somehow I managed to hold my pee for 4 hours on Friday afternoon/evening and did an OPK when I got in. I drink a TON of water through the day so I think I was only able to hold it due to traffic coming home. Lol.
Anyway I had a smiley face on the OPK! So quick crash course in the soft cups and I got to work. BD Friday evening, neg OPK Sat afternoon, but BD Sat evening as well. I used the cups both times - I have to say they were way easy and I love how they prevent the post-BD "mess". Didn't feel it once it was in.
Sunday (yesterday) got my typical boob soreness. So even though I don't temp, I *think* I had good timing.

Do you temp? I thought about trying but my schedule is all over the place and I don't think I'd be able to keep the time consistent. So we'll see what happens this cycle and go from there.

Now though I dont know how to calculate my dpo. I guess you really can't based on just opks, right?

I'd LOVE to surprise everyone on Christmas with an announcement! No one knows we're TTC - I think its best to keep the questions and stress at a minimum.

How was your weekend?
TTCtexan
Friend

Postby pumpkinseed » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Texan,

Glad to hear you got your smiley. I'm so curious to see if the cups help you. If it doesn't work for us this month, I might try them next month. Do you put it in after each BD, and keep it in all day or just a few hours? Then put it back in after next BD?

I do temp…it's supposed to help pinpoint ovulation but even that isn't always accurate or easy to spot. Some women have ovulation symptoms (pains) and I felt it last month, but not this month.

It can be difficult to temp at the same time each day. Especially if you wake super early certain mornings or need to use the bathroom. You need 4 good solid hours of sleep, apparently, to get a proper bbt temp - no texting, walking around before temping. So….if you can, set a timer on your phone for the same each morning, say 5:30am, and take the temp. My thermometer keeps the temp on there, so I can record it later in the morning. I do feel like it makes me more anxious, though, so I might need to take a month off temping.

We are keeping mum as well. We don't plan to tell anyone until we are sure. Weekend was good, AF due on Thursday or Friday, so I'm waiting to test. No real symptoms, I am having some "AF" symptoms (i think!). I'm having a fullness or cramping but it could be normal AF cramping or just fullness after eating, who knows anymore! The symptom checking is also making me crazy…. :shock:

Hoping for a BFP! Hope you get your xmas announcement!
Me: 37 / DH: 43 / G-free / Autoimmune thyroid disease (nature-throid)
Lovenox, metanx, baby aspirin, prometrium, vitamin d3, prenatal, progesterone
MMC: 01-14-15
CP: 4-12-15
MMC: 7-13-15 (d&c, heartbeat was seen but gone at 8 weeks, 2 days)
TTC ON HOLD WHILE I AWAIT RESULTS, HOPING FOR RAINBOW BABY
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TTCtexan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:09 pm

Yup, popped one in right after BD. Lol. The instructions say you can wear for up to 12 hours. I left the first one in for about 5 hours and the second one (after BD the next day) for about 9 bc I fell asleep. I figure there's no need for 12 hours bc I assume all the strong swimmers make their way within a few hours. (Hey, you snooze, you lose!)
TTCtexan
Friend

Postby Littlecreek » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:51 pm

TTCtexan, you're hilarious. We're on the same cycle. :) I'm 33 ttc #2 with my hubby who is 39. Joined last month while I was freaking out during last months two week wait. Much calmer this month for some reason. Like you I don't temp as my schedule is kinda wonky. I'm gonna have to do some research on those soft cups. Sound like an easy way to help the process. Glad to have you here!
TTC #1 July 2012
BFP July 2012
DD born April 2013
TTC #2 starting Oct 2014
Littlecreek

Return to TTC in our 30s