Chinese herbs messed up my cycle!

Meet others who are TTC in their 30s

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Chinese herbs messed up my cycle!

Postby Shalar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi, I need help. I'm a month shy of 37 years old, my husband is 33 and we've been trying for baby #1 for close to 6 months now. We both have been checked out and our hormones, blood work, husband's semen analysis, etc. are completely normal.

About 3 months ago, I started tracking my bbt and noticed what I believe could be a progesterone defect in my luteal phase. I thought this could be why I'm having a such a hard time conceiving. I mentioned this to my OBGYN, but she was reluctant to do something. I found an online program, which I will not name, but is based off of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). I submit bbt/PMS/etc. data and the program's algorithm determines different herbal forumulasI would take during each phase of my cycle. I have the herbal formulations below for reference.

Normally, my cycles are normally 27-29 days and ovulation is around CD13-15. This month since being on the program I'm on CD39 and no sign of AF. I am absolutely not pregnant. My bbts in the follicular/luteal phases are off, I had brownish discharge several days after my period & a progesterone blood test confirmed on CD19 that I did not ovulate.

I'm extremely concerned and don't know what to do. I don't want to take any more herbs since they messed up my period. What can I do to get my period back? I have my last 3 months of bbts attached. I'm currently in the Aug 29, 2016 cycle, which is severely messed up and my bbts are attached. My most recent cycle is on the bottom.

BeFunky Collage (1).jpg
BeFunky Collage (1).jpg (19.8 KiB) Viewed 904 times

---------------------------
Herbal supplements:
Taken on cycle days 1-3: Water, Cane Alcohol (17% ABV), Glycerin, Cooked Rehmannia root, Angelica root, White peony root, Red peony root, Sichuan lovage rhizome, Peach seed, Safflower flower, Lycium fruit, Motherwort herb, Motherwort seed

Taken on cycle days 4-14: Water, Cane Alcohol (17% ABV), Glycerin, Cooked Rehmannia root, Angelica root, White peony root, Red peony root, Sichuan lovage rhizome, Peach seed, Safflower flower, Lycium fruit, Motherwort herb, Motherwort seed

Taken on cycle days 15-28: Water, Cane Alcohol (17% ABV), Glycerin, Angelica Root, White Peony Root, Poria, Albizia Bark, Valerian Root, Siberian Milkwort Root, Bupleurum Root, Red Peony Root, Baikal Skullcap Root, Cyperus Rhizome, White Atractylodes, Turmeric Tuber Root, Tree Peony Bark, Mint, Honey Fried Licorice
Shalar
Friend

Re: Chinese herbs messed up my cycle!

Postby Danaa » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:32 pm

Hello!
Im sorry to hear about ur messed up cycle,probably the herbs messed up ur cycle and I would definitely stop taking them.To bring ur cycle i would talk to ur doc about getting some progesterone the jumpstart ur cycle.
Checking for progesterone at cd19 kinda early,the earliest that doc usually check is cd21 but Bcs we are all different and not everyone ovulates on cd14 the doctors will check ur progesterone 7days after ur possible O day!!
Maca root,vitex,these are grt supliments if you want to try and take them,q10 for egg quality,do ur research and see if you think they are ok.As for the progesterone thing,you could definitely find some progesterone cream online to buy and use after O.Good luck to you.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shalar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi, thanks for your post. Yes, I stopped taking the herbs over a week ago. My OBGYN said I could either wait for my cycle to start or he could give me medication. I don't think I'll ever take another herbal supplement ever again though, since I took them and they completely ruined my cycle. I'm scared to try Maca, Vitex, etc., so I don't think that route is best for me. I wish I could find out what exactly happened this month. I've never missed a period ever, so this is so stressful.
Shalar
Friend

Postby Danaa » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:17 pm

I really don't know what to say Bcs im not familiar with the herbs you took.Good luck to you.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Shalar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:28 pm

Ok
Shalar
Friend

Postby queenfolly » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:36 pm

I would recommend seeing an acupuncturist who specializes in fertility via Chinese medicine. She or he could give you more customized advice and would have more insight into what you've taken and its impact on your cycle. Seeing someone in person will help them give you the support you need to get back on track.
queenfolly
Friend

Postby Happyfroggy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:23 pm

I would not trust Chinese medicine. It is not supported by science. As well, there haven't been properly done controlled studies on a lot of the herbal remedies they offer which means that not only may they be ineffective, they could actually be dangerous.

Also, people on this board love to talk about fertility acupuncture but I am here to tell you that in all properly done scientific trials, it has been shown that acupuncture does NOT improve fertility. The problem was there was a poorly done study that showed patients getting IVF were more likely to conceive if they were getting acupuncture. That study was NOT reputable because scientists that repeated the study have never found that same result. There's HUGE money in acupuncture but no proof it does anything other than the placebo affect.
BFP on Friday Feb 3rd 2017 but ended in miscarriage at 7 1/2 weeks :(

Didn't chart this time, last time was TTC for over a year, BFP chart from daughter :D :
My Ovulation Chart
Happyfroggy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to TTC in our 30s