TTC and smoking

A special board for anyone TTC #1

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TTC and smoking

Postby Tifsbabycrazy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:59 pm

for those that smoke (like myself) have u quit during this time in fear that you might get pregnant and not know it do you stop smoking during your 2ww.... I know most will quit as soon as they get a bfp but what do you do during the time that ur trying?
Tifsbabycrazy
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Seelie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:04 am

I quit after 6 months TTC with no success. I slipped up along the way with a few cigarettes here and there but would make sure I didn't smoke during a TWW or when I was pregnant of course! I did a lot of reading about this and although no one says smoking is OK, it's more significant to your fertility and a fetus if you are smoking 10 or more a day. There are also studies that show smoking constricts the fallopian tubes and hinders the transfer of a fertilised egg to the uterus because the little hairy fibres don't have enough space to move.
Definitely start cutting down...today....and aim to quit as soon as you can for your best chances to conceive.
Best of luck! :)
Ist IUI June 2011 - BFP!
9w :angel:
2nd IUI Oct 2011 - :bfp:
DD born 25th June 2012
TTC #2
:angel: April 2013
:angel: June 2013
:angel: October 2013
Have stopped TTC as heartache was too much.
ImageImage
Seelie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tifsbabycrazy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:13 am

wow I'm really going to start cutting back thanx for the info
Tifsbabycrazy
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby litmajor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:05 am

I quit 8 months before we started trying. It's a pretty tough habit to kick, and I wanted to give myself enough time to quit, and move beyond cravings before getting PG- in addition to the effect on fertility, I didn't want to feel like I wanted a smoke in early pregnancy, kwim? I wanted to eliminate stress.

Good luck on quitting! And just know- you can do it!
Me- 25
DH- 28
9/6/13- BFP!

The ugliest BFP chart
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Salix » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:54 pm

I've never smoked, but DH has smoked for over 10years. He's been trying to quit the last couple of months, but hasn't kicked it yet. He's tried quitting periodically over the years too. I don't suppose anyone has any tips I could pass on to him?

It really worries me as he's smoked for so long I'm concerned about the long-term health effects for him. Plus I keep picturing all these wheezing, knackered sperm slugging their way to an egg that's already zipped past them!

Has anyone tried the e-cigarette? It's essentially just nicotine and steam, so none of the bad stuff! If you've used it, did it help at all?
Salix babylonica
Salix
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby JB7764 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:13 am

I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to add that I decided to quit officially before we started TTC. At the time, we didn't really come out and decide we were going to start TTC, but I was starting to get those feelings of wanting to so I decided I wanted to quit for good before we started so I didn't have to worry about the stress of smoking freak me out.
The reason I did it that way was because of past quitting experiences I knew I wouldn't be able to quit cold turkey. I ended up having to take Welbutrin and the patch to get me over the initial hump of withdrawal. And I'm pretty sure that you don't want to get pregnant while on either of those.
Then when I dropped the patch and the pill, it was all will power. When I got cravings I just starting doing exercises like jumping jacks. By time I finished doing that, I felt good about working out and it gave me that little extra motivation needed to keep from smoking. I also stayed away from anything that I used to do while smoking if at all possible. Like sitting at my computer. If I had to sit at my computer I sucked on a lolli pop or ate some carrot sticks or something to keep my mouth and hands busy. Some of the addiction is just habit so you have to create new ones. And most importantly NEVER allow yourself to have "just one drag," or "just one ciggarette." It will NEVER be just one no matter how much will power you think you have. By doing all that I have been smoke-free for about 3 years now.

Good luck and baby dust!
Me 29
DH 33
TTC since November 09'

DH's SA results (abstention- 5 days):
Liquefied in 20min
Viscosity- high
pH-8
Motility-56%
Activity- moderate
Directional- 15%
Volume- 2 ml
Count- 143 mill/mL
Total count- 286 million
Normal morphology- 23%

My test results:
TSH: 1.320 uIU/ml
FSH: 6.34 miU/ml
Prolactin: 8.3 ng/ml
Progesterone: 4.41 ng/ml
1st Clomid cycle: March 2013

HSG 10/2/13 showed everything clear and looking good

1/1/2016 BFP: 1/4/016 MC @ 5 weeks :angel:

My Ovulation Chart

JB7764
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Samm » Sun May 27, 2012 7:52 pm

DH wouldn't knock me up until I had quit for 1.5 years. He wanted to make sure it was all out and I wouldn't slip during pregnancy. Considering I was ready years b/4 he was... it ended up being GREAT motivation and by the time the 1.5 years was up, he was ready to TTC! He actually was ready earlier than that and I went of bc in Oct. Long story, but didn't o until this month. Now in my first tww! :D

Quitting really is the BEST thing you can do. It can make ttc even harder. And you don't want to add the stress of quitting on top of a pregnancy. :(

YOU CAN DO IT! It's so awesome once you are off! :D
My Ovulation Chart

Off BC after ten years in Oct 2011
No AF's Nov-April
Met for PCOS since March 2012 (BFP 2nd cycle on Met!!)
Samm
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsSisco » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:04 am

I am TTC and smoke half a pack a day. I know I would stop as soon as I become pregnant but I am making a conscious effort to quit this coming Monday in hopes it will help with my PCOS. Studies show that smoking increases androgen levels in women so I am hoping that quitting will just aid in subsiding my PCOS.
MrsSisco
Friend

Postby MrsDimples » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:21 pm

My friends...I don't know if anyone is still posting here, but let me tell you what will help! E-cigarettes! I had sinus surgery is Feb of this year. I knew I wanted to quit but just hadn't yet. I never smoked another one after the surgery! It scared me when I had trouble waking up from anesthesia and had trouble breathing because of the smoking. And I knew having a baby it would be terrible. So, my hubby bought me the ecigs and they have been great at weaning me off the nicotine. Greatest thing EVER!
Me: 29 DH: 43
TTC 1 1/2yrs PCOS
Round 1 Clomid 9/2012- 50mg- No ovulation
Round 2 Clomid-100mg 10/2012- Ovulation, I think! Didn't catch it.....
Round 3 Clomid- 150 mg 11/2012- Trigger shot 11/30/2012...BFN
Round 4......150mg clomid (4 days only) Trigger 12/30.
BFP 1/11/2013!!!!!
Due 9/24/2013!!!!!

Beta #1 (9dpo)- 10
Beta #2 (12dpo)- 54
Beta #3 (21dpo)- 2,017!

My Ovulation Chart
MrsDimples
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Samm » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:57 pm

I did it cold turkey. My hubby said he wouldn't knock me up until I quit, so one day I decided being healthy for my future child was more important. I had already been cutting back for years, just had to get rid of the last few. You have to be ready or it won't work.
My Ovulation Chart

Off BC after ten years in Oct 2011
No AF's Nov-April
Met for PCOS since March 2012 (BFP 2nd cycle on Met!!)
Samm
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to TTC Your First Baby