TTC after Chemical Pregnancy?

A special board for anyone TTC #1

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TTC after Chemical Pregnancy?

Postby plus1please » Thu May 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Dh and I have been TTC since 01/12. Last cycle unfortunately ended with what I believe to be a chemical pregnancy. (I never knew that even existed until reading all of your wonderfully educational posts!) I did not go to DR, I suppose it was more of a self diagnosis. LMP was 4/9, O was 4/22 and I expected AF around 5/6. (I say "expected", becasue I have been trying really really hard to not obsess, which I tend to do quite easily) Finally POAS 14 DPO (5/6) and...BFN! POAS again 17 DPO (5/9) and once again BFN! Waited until 5/13 to POAS again - Had to run to CVS for more HPT, while checking out, the cashier wished me a Happy Possible Mother's Day. I had already forgotten it was Mother's Day...so at that point, I could not get home fast enough! I just knew that I would get a BFP! Well, I did...but it was unbelieveably faint! I ended up spotting the next day 5/14 and then AF showed her ugly face 5/15 (Which is 9 days late). Thats when I thankfully found this site :)

Now that I have explained my TTC story in a nutshell...my questions are...

Does this sound like a Chemical? (If not, any other thoughts?)
IF so, how has this effected my current cycle? (Since I was 9 days late, will I be thown off by 9 days?)

We did not really TTC this month, because I wasn't too sure what (if any) reactions my body was going through.

Thank you all so much for even taking the time to read my post! I really appriciate any advice or answers you are willing to give!
plus1please

Postby hopefulone28 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:47 am

It's possible, and if that is what happened I'm sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing a few months ago. In my case, I started getting faint bfp's at 11 dpo (I had already been spotting), but they faded away to nothing pretty quickly. Quantitative hcg tests confirmed it was a chemical. You can try again right after if you're feeling emotionally up for it, and some say you could experience a brief window of increased fertility afterwards (though that wasn't the case for me so I can't say how true it is). The first day of full flow is cycle day 1, and you just start over from there. Hope that helps, and hugs to you! I hope you get your sticky bfp soon.
BFP @ 9dpo, September 11, 2012. Hoping and praying for a sticky bean!
1st beta at 11dpo: 88
2nd beta at 18dpo: 2088
Heard beany's :hb: for the first time at 11 weeks, 3 days!

TTC#1 Since October, 2011
January, 2012- Chemical Pregnancy
June, 2012- Diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism
Taking prenatal & Synthroid
My Ovulation Chart

hopefulone28
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jroo1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:44 am

Agree with above!

It sounds like it could've been a chemical. I just had a chemical pregnancy - got all the way up to a digital telling me I was pregnant and then fading, and an HCG test confirmed I had an 'unviable' pregnancy.

My Doc/RN told me that if I was up for it emotionally, I could go back to 'business as usual'. I've also heard that you could possibly have increased fertility the month after, but I don't know how true that is (but I'm hoping).

It's some ridiculous percentage of women who have had chemical pregnancies - it's just if they weren't actively trying, testing, getting treatments they probably never knew about it - just thought they had a late period.
Me - 30 DH - 33

Married since 2006, TTC since 2009.

suspected PCOS, SA normal.

Hell of a lot of clomid - all BFN.

IVF #1: June 2012. Chemical Pregnancy.

http://StupidStork.blogspot.com
Jroo1
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby temple33 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:22 am

hopefulone28 wrote:It's possible, and if that is what happened I'm sorry for your loss. I went through the same thing a few months ago. In my case, I started getting faint bfp's at 11 dpo (I had already been spotting), but they faded away to nothing pretty quickly. Quantitative hcg tests confirmed it was a chemical. You can try again right after if you're feeling emotionally up for it, and some say you could experience a brief window of increased fertility afterwards (though that wasn't the case for me so I can't say how true it is). The first day of full flow is cycle day 1, and you just start over from there. Hope that helps, and hugs to you! I hope you get your sticky bfp soon.

I totally agree with hopefulone28! and I have to say I was in the same situation too...
temple33

Re: TTC after Chemical Pregnancy?

Postby amk47 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:48 am

It sounds like a chemical. I had one back in Feb 2012 (our first month of trying) and went to the OB and they confirmed it. OB told me to wait a month until we TTC again but I also had a friend who had a chemical and got pregnant the next month and had a healthy baby so there might be something to that increased fertility thing. (DH was out of town the following month so we couldn't BD, and we have been trying ever since with no luck!)

The one positive thing (I think?) that OB told me when I went just last week for my annual exam was that she is not worried about mine or DH's fertility because we had the chemical. As a little background, I went for my annual but also to talk to her about me not getting pregnant since then (and charting and BDing at all the right times) and she said because we had the chemical she was pretty confident that there were no infertility issues. I'm sure that should make me feel better knowing that SOMEDAY I can get pregnant but still doesn't help when we have been trying for 10 months now with nothing. She said she would do an ultrasound and sperm analysis in Feb if I wasn't pregnant by then. Hope that helps!

As an aside I would love to hear from anyone who had a chemical and then had a successful pregnancy after without any other intervention, really want to know if my OB is right and even though it is taking this long, there is probably no fertility issues.

Thanks!
amk47

Re: TTC after Chemical Pregnancy?

Postby btaylor83 » Sun May 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Silly question: I had a chemical pregnancy in January, would have been my first baby. You know when the doctors all ask 'Is this your first pregnancy?', when I get that question next time....what is my answer? it isn't a true miscarriage right?
btaylor83

Return to TTC Your First Baby