TTC and anxiety

A special board for anyone TTC #1

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TTC and anxiety

Postby SNMWRM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 pm

So this is my first time to join a discussion group like this but I was hoping to get some advice or maybe just hoping that I am not the only one that feels this way. My husband and I very much want to be parents, I am just terrified of being pregnant for 9 long months. I guess I should mention that I have had anxiety for probably 10 years, used to be on Paxil but have been off that for about 3 years now bc it wasn't really helping. Still take xanax occasionally when I have panic attacks. So basically I am just anxious about being anxious during pregnancy and not being able to take a xanax if I need to. My husband an I are in are early 30s and I know the time is now... Just don't know what to do about my anxiety. Anyone else feel this way or have any advice? Thanks for reading my post :)
SNMWRM

Re: TTC and anxiety

Postby skinnyk » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16 pm

My doctor actually let me take xanax during pregnancy, but only if I was have an severe anxiety attack where I seriously thought death was the outcome, or that it should be. So I ended up taking xanax a couple of times during pregnancy, I think not until after 20 weeks. I wish I didn't have to take it though. I never did well with paxil. I did okish with prozac. Try switching if if your Dr. will let you. What is your fear with being pregnant for 9 months? Or it is just a fear of 9 months no xanax, lol? For me it seemed like I had less panick attacks during pregnancy. I think it was because I was just so emotional, that my body never got to live in it's normal state that causes the anxiety. When I get pregnant tonight (I got my + OPK today!, lolol) I won't take xanax this pregnancy. I have not let myself take any for a while (which made me smoke a random pack of ciggs one month. Then I quit that too, lol) and now I just endure them. And by endure I mean I need to replace some sheet rock in my bedroom. True story. lol... You'll be fiiiine honey....Buy a bunch of piggy banks and smash them with hammers if you have an anxiety attack while pregnant. That will draw your anxiety thoughts away from your brain and into the little piggy's smashed brains.
Me: 25, going on 17
DH: 32, going on 47
DD: 2.75, legit
TTC#2 since Jan 2012
"Postponed" Baby 11w 2d Jan. 2013
BFP June 14, 2013. EDD Feb. 20, 2014 (It's gonna stick)

skinnyk
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby J.Erica » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:26 pm

I understand where you're coming from, just on a different level. I've dealt with anxiety (or something of that nature) off and on since I was about 8-years-old. As a kid, I was on Zoloft for a while (albeit inconsistently). My anxiety gradually got better over time so I wasn't taking anything by my sophomore or junior year in high school. After I graduated and started work, it seemed to worm it's way back. I took Lexapro for a period of time, and I've been off it for five years or more.
Now that my husband and I are TTC, I can't help but worry too. What could go wrong during the pregnancy? What if I happened to lose my job? Are we financially ready? What if I'm not as good a parent as I want to be? Its a really scary thing! I wish I had some good advice for you, but I don't. However, you're definitely not alone as far as your fears are concerned. Best of luck to you!!
Image My Ovulation Chart

ME: Age 27
HUSBAND: Age 30
Our Lil' Wildcat: Nolen Caine - Born: 2/5/2014

Dori couldn't be bothered to have her picture taken.
J.Erica
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby SNMWRM » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks for the quick replies ladies! My biggest fear of being pregnant for 9 months is two things, one is not being about to take Xanax if I needed to, but also I guess it’s just not being able to ‘get out of the situation’ if I wanted to. That sounds horrible, but I have a real issue with control. I don’t fly (bc if I had a panic attack and needed to escape I couldn't) I hardly get in the car with anyone except for immediately family, & I sit by the door anywhere I go for a quick escape. I definitely do not want to go on another anti-anxiety med like Paxil or Prozac because I don’t really believe they work and plus if we are TTC I don’t want to do anything that could potentially hurt the baby. I have tried therapy but haven’t had much luck with that either. I told my husband the other day “If we could magically have OUR baby delivered to us tomorrow I would do it” I am not afraid of being a mom or dealing with all the stress that comes with a newborn, it is just the 9 long months of pregnancy that scare the crap out of me. It is good to know that I am not the only one that feels like this, it’s just depressing sometimes because as much as my husband loves me and supports me he just doesn't understand what it feels like to have anxiety and sometimes I feel like I am holding him back. :cry:
SNMWRM

Return to TTC Your First Baby