Drinking Alcohol during your TWW...yay or nay?

The Big O! Everything OVULATION related goes here, including OPK pics, questions about ovulation, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Postby manders04 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:46 pm

When we started TTC, I cut out alcohol during my entire cycle! That got old after a few months so now I allow myself a few drinks when :af: arrives and if the occasion calls for it, a beer or glass of wine during the TWW. I gave up caffeine entirely, so being able to enjoy a little Reisling is fabulous! :D
manders04
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby litmajor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm

miaowington wrote:I try to just live my life as normally as possible & will continue to do so until I am finally officially pregnant. All that stressing & treating myself like I am already pregnant feels especially bitter & frustrating when AF shows up again. & a doctor that isn't a teetotaling fearmongerer will tell you that the occasional drink even after you know you are pregnant is not a big deal.

Agreed. It's probably not a good time to get Jersey Shore drunk, but a beer or a couple glasses of wine isn't going to be a huge deal during the TWW. Especially if it helps calm you down, that's a benefit. If babies commonly developed FAS from light drinking in the first two weeks of pregnancy, the rates would be much higher than they are.

I do think it is a good idea to quit smoking before TTC- I quit for good 9 months before we started trying. But alcohol is different from cigs in the sense that most people can give up alcohol with no problem, whereas smoking takes a little more time (it did for me, at least).
Me- 25
DH- 28
9/6/13- BFP!

The ugliest BFP chart
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lydia54 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:54 pm

I drink periodically in the tww but not to excess and not hard alcohol. Just wine or beer here or there.
When :af: comes though... wine, cake, ice cream, shots o' whisky... ;)
lydia54
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Drinking Alcohol during your TWW...yay or nay?

Postby ashley1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:42 pm

kksmom09 wrote:today at work we were discussing if drinking during your tww was bad or good, a lady at work said she drank before she found out she was pregnant and her baby was doing just fine. I would like to know what do you think, don't drink incase there's some chance this is your month or drink it up and just enjoy life?

During my pregnancy period, I don't even drink beer because the doctor said it can harm the baby. Thanks God her baby was fine.

Postby Ravyndancer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:43 pm

I won't drink when/if I get a BFP.

But it's been 9 cycles of BFN and that wears on me.

I enjoy drinking a glass or two of red wine when I have a bottle in the house and I will continue to do so before getting a BFP until I don't enjoy it any more.

I find people get way too paranoid, anxious, and stressed out when they worry too much. And we wonder why we're not getting pregnant?

If someone chooses to abstain completely from alcohol during the 2ww, good for them. And if someone chooses to have a glass or two of wine during the 2ww, they shouldn't be judged for it. We're all trying to do what we think is best for ourselves. :D
Me: 39 multinodular goitre, completed 3 cycles of heavy metal detox, HSG Sept 20/12 - R tube open, L was slightly blocked, cleared during procedure, exploratory lap Feb 25/13 found mild endo (2 spots) removed and tubes flushed.
DH: 40 (healthy SA!)
TTC #1 since June 2011
Clomid cycle #1 100 mg CD3-7 April 2013 = BFN
Clomid cycle #2 100 mg CD3-7 May 2013 = didn't BD during fertile window = BFN
June 2013 - 2 years TTC. I give up. No more Clomid, no more temping, no more OPKs. Distraught :(
My Ovulation Chart
Ravyndancer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mblue » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:18 am

I found this article to be very interesting. The authors are extremely credible (I've actually met Dr. Sokol) and they cite extensive sources.

I may be going out on a limb here, but...I am 11 weeks pregnant. I've had 2 glasses of wine (not per day, 2 total) since my BFP. Both about 2 ounces. I've also had several non-alcoholic beers.

Prior to getting the BFP, I would typically drink 1-2 glasses of wine nearly every night, or beers when we would go out or watch the game or whatever. I drink wine because I love wine. (I learned to drink and like light beer because it made me a cheap date LOL)

I expect I'll continue to have occasional drinks throughout my pregnancy. I know not everyone agrees with my choice, but as an educated person, I believe I've formed an educated opinion that an occasional, small, single alcoholic beverage will not harm my baby in any way, shape, or form.
Me (Meredith): 32
DH: 39
DD: 2 in September
Baby #2: Due 3/19/15!
mblue
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MBV4 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 am

Thanks for posting the article. As an American living in Europe (with a European husband and in-laws) the differences in attitude over here about casually and sporadically consuming alcohol when ttc (and preggo) compared to those in the US are like night and day. So are the eating habits (soft cheese, meats, spicy food..). I have chosen to continue to have a glass or 2 of red wine at dinner sometimes while ttc. I will stop as soon as I get a bfp (fingers crossed that happens). We can't stop living. That said, it isn't unusual to see a woman with a baby bump sipping on red wine over here...in France esp. My great gran (German) told my mother that she should drink a glass of red wine A DAY when she was preg with me. My mom didn't drink before she was preg so it seemed silly. The differences are cultural. Of course an alcoholic is an alcoholic in any country and FAS knows no boundaries. It's all about moderation and being honest with yourself about how much you are imbibing (as the article touched upon). Like one of you lovelies said in an earlier post: it's not the time to get Jersey Shore drunk. Actually, no time, ttc or not, is a good time for that.

Happy Tuedsay.
me - 38...is the new 28 :)
DH - 32
TTC #1 since 1/1/11
Diagnostic lap 6/11/12
DX: Fallopian tubes clear!
4 small fibroids removed (2 uterine, 2 ovarian)
OK'd to resume ttcing *this* cycle (June '12)!
MBV4
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Raquele » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:49 pm

I am not saying for you to go ahead and drink but I had a margarita one weekend!!! And I am BFP!!!
It is your choice!!!!
Raquel
Raquele
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby MBV4 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:28 am

Oh...and Ravyndancer: I totally agree with you. We seem to have loads in common :). It's hard enough staying sane when ttcing and twwing, omitting everything pleasurable just adds more stress into the mix. I happen to be 2dpo today and I am ready to head out. I will be riding my bicycle into the Viktualianmarkt for fresh veg shopping and there are some amazing wine stalls there. Dare I indulge? I mean, I *am* riding my bike... :wink:
me - 38...is the new 28 :)
DH - 32
TTC #1 since 1/1/11
Diagnostic lap 6/11/12
DX: Fallopian tubes clear!
4 small fibroids removed (2 uterine, 2 ovarian)
OK'd to resume ttcing *this* cycle (June '12)!
MBV4
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Ravyndancer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 pm

MBV4 wrote:Oh...and Ravyndancer: I totally agree with you. We seem to have loads in common :). It's hard enough staying sane when ttcing and twwing, omitting everything pleasurable just adds more stress into the mix. I happen to be 2dpo today and I am ready to head out. I will be riding my bicycle into the Viktualianmarkt for fresh veg shopping and there are some amazing wine stalls there. Dare I indulge? I mean, I *am* riding my bike... :wink:

xoxo

Acting 'as if' pregnant has only led me to feel utterly heartbroken when AF came... I'm not doing that to myself any more.

I'm 9DPO and had a glass of red wine with dinner...

ps: I like the '38 is the new 28' :wink:
Me: 39 multinodular goitre, completed 3 cycles of heavy metal detox, HSG Sept 20/12 - R tube open, L was slightly blocked, cleared during procedure, exploratory lap Feb 25/13 found mild endo (2 spots) removed and tubes flushed.
DH: 40 (healthy SA!)
TTC #1 since June 2011
Clomid cycle #1 100 mg CD3-7 April 2013 = BFN
Clomid cycle #2 100 mg CD3-7 May 2013 = didn't BD during fertile window = BFN
June 2013 - 2 years TTC. I give up. No more Clomid, no more temping, no more OPKs. Distraught :(
My Ovulation Chart
Ravyndancer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jillian2012 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Thank you soooooo much for posting this thread!!

Next week Tuesday (20th) will start the TTW for me, but a bunch of my lady friends want to get together for happy hour. I will not get smashed, but I"m not going to "not" go out & have a few glasses of wine because I may be preggers.

Since we started TTC back in December, I've had a few glasses of wine here & there, but that's about it.

Like the others said, it is your choice :)
Married July 1, 2011

Jillian - 31 :love: Andrew - 37

TTC #1 since December 2011
Ruptured a cyst on my right ovary, May 2012
Chemical Pregnancy, June 2012
HSG performed, February 2013 ~ Tubes all clear!
Round #1 of Clomid ~ February 2013
Round #2 of Clomid ~ March 2013
Round #3 of Clomid ~April 2013
Round #4 of Clomid and IUI ~ May 2013
Round #5 of Clomid and IUI ~ June 2013
Round #6 of Clomid and double IUI ~ July 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

*God opens millions of flowers without forcing the buds.
It reminds us to not force anything, for things happen in the right time.*
Jillian2012
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Drinking Alcohol during your TWW...yay or nay?

Postby Johoney » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:24 pm

My first has just turned 1, I had a fertility scan during my 2 week wait with him and was (incorrectly) told I hadn't conceived. I got very drunk for 2 nights 2 days before I realised I was pregnant. My boy is perfect. I love my wine and I regularly drank while ttc and it took 6 months. I was 34. Trying for our second and I'm not going to put my life on hold, I didn't drink a drop of alcohol from when I found out at 4 weeks. I think there's enough stress with ttc, why deprive ourselves of alcohol which adds to the stress for some. Wish me luck for this 2ww, on our 3rd cycle.
Also I have a very long 45ish day cycle and to anyone that is worried about this, don't. Everything happens the same as a normal cycle, your eggs aren't "old" and you're just as fertile, just have to wait longer to o and get fewer chances.
Johoney

Previous

Return to Ovulation