Clomid and ovulation??

The Big O! Everything OVULATION related goes here, including OPK pics, questions about ovulation, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Clomid and ovulation??

Postby Scody77 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi, this is my first month on Clomid. I do normally ovulate on my own on cd14. I took 100mg this month from cd3-7, today is cd 14 and I've been getting high readings on my Opk since cd 10, no peak yet. Has anyone taken Clomid and ovulated later than normal? My ovaries feel full. I'm not being monitored by my doctor and they are out for the weekend.
Scody77
Friend

Re: Clomid and ovulation??

Postby Danaa » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:55 am

I never took clomid but it is possible to O later than usual on clomid.Good luck.
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsGrn » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:04 am

Hi,
Just wondering if you ever got your positive opk and if so what day? BFN or BFP?

I had a positive opk on cd 14 on my first round of Clomid. Currently on cd 17 of second round of clomid with no positive opk as of yet. So just a bit confused....

I had my progesterone tested on cd 21 after first round of clomid and it was 35, so OB says I definitely ovulated. AF came on what would have been cd 28. I started Clomid on cd 5-9 (9/30-10/4).

TIA for any info! :)
Background info: Mom to one 6yo DS with very irregular cycles and history of 2 mc prior to my DS. I am 36 yo and DH 36 too. TTC for second baby since May 2016. Chemical pregnancy in July 2016. Started 1st round Clomid Sept 2016. Second round of 50mg Clomid October 2016.
MrsGrn
Friend

Postby Scody77 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:50 am

Hi MrsGrn, I did end up ovulating on cd20, got the peak cd19. I have yet to have AF, now cd56 I think. No BFap. The 100mg of Clomid was too much for me, I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago, had an ultrasound that showed 2 small cysts on my right ovary. I go back to the doctor today for another ultrasound to see if they are shrinking and to get something to induce my period again. If I do Clomid again it will be a smaller dose and I want a trigger shot so there is no guessing when I ovulate. Good luck to you.
Scody77
Friend

Postby MrsGrn » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:05 pm

Thank you for replying and pm'ing!! I don't think I would be as worried if my hubby wasn't leaving OOT on what will be my cd 21 :/ hoping it happens before then!

Sorry you are still waiting on AF and ended up with cysts! I had cysts before starting Clomid. It took a round of progesterone to start my AF for my cysts to shrink enough to start clomid.
Background info: Mom to one 6yo DS with very irregular cycles and history of 2 mc prior to my DS. I am 36 yo and DH 36 too. TTC for second baby since May 2016. Chemical pregnancy in July 2016. Started 1st round Clomid Sept 2016. Second round of 50mg Clomid October 2016.
MrsGrn
Friend

Postby Scody77 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:11 pm

How long did you have to wait after the progesterone to start trying again? She said the cysts were only like 2.5mm which I guess is small. I'm feeling a bit nervous about my appointment today
Scody77
Friend

Postby MrsGrn » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:02 pm

I hope you got good news today!
Mine was 2.4 so almost the same size!
One round of progesterone for 10 days with one AF and my cyst was down to 1.2cm a week after staring AF. So she said at that size I was good to start clomid my next cycle.
Though.. after progesterone it took me 18 days to start AF and by then it was a 53 day cycle. So that was an agonizing wait. Then I had my US a week after AF. But by then it was too late to start clomid that cycle.. So had to wait another agonizing 41 days to have AF and start clomid cd 5-9.
Let me know how your appt went!!
MrsGrn
Friend

Postby Scody77 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:18 am

Appointment was ok. The 2 cysts went from 2.5 each, to 1 at 3.5, so I guess that's progress. Today will be cd55, I'm waiting for my prescription of provera to be filled today. She wants me to take it for 5 days, if AF doesn't start 10days of last pill I have to go back for another ultrasound. If it does start I go back about 3 weeks after that to talk about what to do from there. Maybe more Clomid at a lower dose. So it looks like I won't be able to try again until late November. She wants one normal cycle before she will do a medicated iui. This wait is killing me, I haven't had AF since 8/20. I wish we would have started the provera weeks ago. I'm trying not to let it get to me, but it's hard.
Scody77
Friend

Postby MrsGrn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:28 am

I totally understand your frustration. I was heartbroken when I couldn't start clomid because I felt like it was my only chance. The doc said to keep "trying" while we waited, but it was hard since my cycles were 40+ days and my ovulation signs were chaotic and the opk were positive for days and sometimes twice in a cycle.

What dose of provera did she prescribe? Have you have taken progesterone before?
MrsGrn
Friend

Postby Scody77 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:46 am

I want to say it was 10mg a day. Not sure. Pharmacy took my paper copy last night, but won't fill it until they can verify the prescriptions. I don't know what the big deal is. She did give me 15 pain pills, maybe that's what's slowing them up. I've had cramps for like 3 weeks. I'm 39, so I feel like I don't have a lot of time to do this. We are also going to start iui's, so can't really do that without her. I've never taken progesterone before. How did you feel while on it? Apparently Clomid made me cranky, so I was told lol. I just want to be back to normal. Are you using the advanced ovulation kit with the low high peak readings? Those seem to work best for me. When I was close to O I would test in the morning and at night, I also used internet cheapies every time I used the bathroom to see if the lines were getting darker.
Scody77
Friend

Postby MrsGrn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:01 am

I wonder if it's the brand name issue? A lot of insurances won't approve the brand name w/o a special approval from doc, so if they specifically prescribe/write for "Provera" the pharmacy has to get "prior approval" (which makes no sense, you'd think the dang scrip would suffice). But most of health care practices are completely illogical. Or it could be that they have to try and substitute generic before filling brand name. I'd just call and ask. Because it totally could be the pain pill deal too.

I did progesterone, not provera, but both have ultimately the same effect. Progesterone inhibits menstrual bleeding. It is known also as the "pregnancy hormone," so symptoms when taking progesterone supplements are similar to that of early pregnancy (nausea, breast tenderness, headache, etc). For me, my major symptom was breast tenderness and moodiness. How progesterone works to induce the period is by first building up your body's level of progesterone (during the 5 days) and then forcing the levels to fall (after you stop) is what triggers "withdrawal" menstrual bleeding. When your hormones are working right (apparently not in our cases) your body does this naturally (mine never has, I had to supplement progesterone throughout my 1-2 trimester to sustain my pregnancy).

FYI forgive me if you totally have heard the progesterone spill before and I'm just rambling. I'm an RN, so I tend to go into work mode and go over board explaining everything when it comes to medication education lol.

The clomid made me have generalized pelvic discomfort, so I wonder if your cramping is related to that? I was extremely bloated, gassy, and just felt inflamed in the low abdomen/pelvic area for the two weeks following ovulation with clomid. It wasn't until my period that all that started improving. I wonder if yours is lingering since you have not had you AF yet.

I use the advanced clear blue that tracks estrogen and LH too. It doesn't really work with clomid as well, but I was using them before clomid, so I stuck with them. I am however also comparing the LH results of the clear blue this month with a cheap brand of LH strips to see if they are consistent (since my estrogen results for the "high fertility" days are skewed due to the clomid). So far this month I am still waiting on my LH surge, so results are not conclusive on my little experiment yet. Sounds like you were doing a similar experiment lol.

I am 36, so I totally understand your feeling like the clock is ticking. I had fertility issues when I was younger too, so now everything is just magnified :/ I keep thinking-- come on body don't fail me now!!

And to add to the time crunch, I'm in graduate school and will need to begin clinical hours next fall one year, then have board exams the following summer. I really do NOT want to be pregnant and giving birth during clinicals. I think having an infant during that time would be hard enough. But actually giving birth would be a major logistical issue since you have a certain number of hours to fulfill and are not allowed to take time off. This is the last month I can get pregnant and give birth before clinicals start. A pregnancy after this month would mean I have to take a semester off... which I know is not the end of the world but.... it scares me because I'm afraid I'd be in mommmy mode/baby heaven and not go back and finish school. I have put off my dream of becoming a nurse practitioner before (when I had my DS) so just feeling forced to choose between my professional dreams and my dreams of having another baby. But I'm trying NOT to worry about all that right now. :oops:

Sorry for rambling/ venting.... BUT MANY THANKS for the listening and the replies. I think it helps knowing you're not alone in all these feelings. :hugs:

Hoping you get to start provera today! Btw, it's best to take it at bedtime (this is the time the body would naturally be producing progesterone surges (if ours worked right lol). My doc did not explain that initially, but thankfully my nurse told me ;) Hoping it works and your AF happens soon and your cysts shrink so you can get this show on the road! Until then, please feel free to message me anytime you need an ear or some kind words!
MrsGrn
Friend

Postby MrsGrn » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:11 am

I just wanted to give an update....

I ended up finally getting my flashing smiley "peak" LH day on cd 18 and a temp shift on cd21. I estimate my O day was cd 20. Today is cd30 and 10dpo and I just got a BFP!

I will add... I did a few experiments with different HPT brands because I am a POAS addict and I love science ;)
My line was darkest on the Amazon $0.50 apiece Easy@Home Brand (20 pack), next darkest was Walmart's $0.88 first signal brand (single test), the LEAST darkest was the (supposed most sensitive and the MOST expensive) $4.33 apiece (3pk) first response early result. So there's my 2 cents on HPT. Hope it helps you ladies save some money and get an early BFP!!!!
MrsGrn
Friend

Postby Momma-of4 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:19 pm

good luck that gives me hope bc I got a faint line on an .88 test first signal and my FRER was negative. Im hoping that im not seeing things on these tests. i got several faint lines on the first signals today at 10 dpo,
(Me) Courtney 36 (Dh) Luke 36
Ttc #5
DS 13
DD 11
DS 9
DD 2
Ttc since September 2015

My Ovulation Chart

Dec 2016 first round of clomid 50mg - bfn
Jan 2016 2nd round clomid 100mg bfp

Momma-of4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsGrn » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:25 pm

Hope you got your BFP the next day Momma-of4!
MrsGrn
Friend

Return to Ovulation