Breastfeeding and OPKs

The Big O! Everything OVULATION related goes here, including OPK pics, questions about ovulation, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Breastfeeding and OPKs

Postby mamatea » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:14 pm

Hi all. So my LO is 10.5 months and breastfed. No pp periods so far. My LO is a pretty determined nurser, and tbh I'm not expecting AF any time soon, given how often he feeds. Still, I've seen small indicators of returning fertility since about May (rounds of EWCM, near-positives on OPKs, that sort of thing), and last week I took one almost at random and got my first definite positive since giving birth. So my question is: if I definitely had an LH surge, is it likely I released an egg or not? Would regular breastfeeding (say every 4-6 hours in the day, every 3 hours at night, more when he's teething)—would that interfere with the release even if the surge is present? I can't find much information on that question, or what impact (if any) that amount of breastfeeding would have on the viability of a pregnancy in the very early stages. Any advice / recommended reading much appreciated. My husband and I would love another but we're letting the BF run its course with our little guy - so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much. Babydust to all. xx
mamatea
Friend

Re: Breastfeeding and OPKs

Postby carrotk » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:14 pm

I don't really have any advice, but it is definitely possible to start ovulating even with round the clock bf-ing. I got my first pp AF at just 4.5 months when I was still bf-ing every 3-4 hours round the clock. Unfortunately there's no way to know for sure if your surge will result in ovulation or not.
Hypothyroid
March 2014: BFP, baby girl born 11/2014
Nov 2015: started TTC #2
July 2016: BFP - m/c @ 10 weeks
Aug 2017: BFP [8/1 beta 1: 6, 8/4 beta #3: 37]

[url=https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/492852]
carrotk
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby trying2beehopeful » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm breastfeeding my son who is 20 months old, he still breastfeeds very frequently (4-8 times a day/ 3 to 4 times at night). I did get my cycle back at 13 months postpartum. DH and I were cautious up until 5 months ago when we deiced to start trying for #2.

I did get pregnant on cycle 2 of trying but it ended in a chemical at 6 weeks. I was worried that breastfeeding had something to do with it but I was assured by DH (who is a genetic researcher/Dr. of Science and professor) that breastfeeding wouldn't have any affect. He read the latest publications on the subject matter and there was nothing that suggested breastfeeding had any affect on a developing embryo of fetus. No findings.

I have a cousin who did get pregnant with her second child while breastfeeding her 11 month old son and she went on to have a healthy baby girl. She also conceived without ever getting her cycle back. So yes, it is possible!
Last edited by trying2beehopeful on Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
trying2beehopeful
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ourmaybebaby » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:41 am

Hey! My (limited) understanding is that once your cycle returns the luteal phase can take a while to ramp up, and that ramping up can be even slower if BFing. However, BFing won't actually affect the viability of the fetus at all. If it gets itself nestled in during the luteal phase, short or not, then it'll have the same chances as any other wee babe!

I'm 11 months post-partum, and BFing about twice a day and once night...
I've had one period, about 45 days ago, and have been tracking using the Clearblue Fertility Monitor. I "peaked" on Sunday, and we'd love to have another babe, and we dtd...on Friday, then Monday! So we'll see...
But I totally get the confusion with PP cycles and BFing!
Good luck to you guys!!
ourmaybebaby
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to Ovulation