First time using an OPK - is this positive?

The Big O! Everything OVULATION related goes here, including OPK pics, questions about ovulation, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

First time using an OPK - is this positive?

Postby Luso2011 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi everyone,

First, thanks in advance for reading my post.

I have only used OPKs once in the past, more than three years ago. I just purchased Wondfo's for the first time and tested today, on what I believe is CD8 (I've had 8 days of brown spotting instead of AF - not even enough to show up on a liner. Rather, only when wiping). My cycles are irregular, but have been around 37-38 days for the better part of this year.

Anyways, can someone help decipher if this is, in fact, a positive?

Positive vibes to all and thank you!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (70.26 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
Luso2011

Re: First time using an OPK - is this positive?

Postby ABoulanger » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Yes positive for sure! :)
TTC since 1/2014
ABoulanger
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Luso2011 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks for the reply! I hope you're right. I tried some other brand and it was slightly lighter, but close. Oh well, I guess it's time to start BD'ing. :)
Luso2011

Postby Danaa » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:13 am

Yep is bd time .good luck!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsGrn » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:25 am

I agree it is mostly likely a positive. Did you continue to test? Any more positives?
Also, just an fyi.... I believe the results are more accurately interpreted once the background is white.The background appears to be tinted in your pic. I believe that means all the die has not settled. I think you are using the same brand as I am and have found these take longer than the directions say to give you the white background.
Background info: Mom to one 6yo DS with very irregular cycles and history of 2 mc prior to my DS. I am 36 yo and DH 36 too. TTC for second baby since May 2016. Chemical pregnancy in July 2016. Started 1st round Clomid Sept 2016. Second round of 50mg Clomid October 2016.
MrsGrn
Friend

Postby Luso2011 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:10 pm

I did, in fact, test again yestrrday (a day after my original test) and both lines were just as dark. It looked pretty much identical to the test I posted.

We BD'ed the night I first tested, but missed yesterday because my husband was working late. I hope that doesn't throw us out of the game this month! I'm so paranoid.
Luso2011

Postby Luso2011 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:13 pm

Oh, and MrsGrn, it didn't even occur to me that I should have taken a pic once all the dye had cleared. In any case, once it cleared both lines were equally very dark. The test line wasn't at all lighter than the control. Same deal with last night's test.

I'll test again this evening. I hope we didn't miss miss our chance not having BD'ed last night!
Luso2011

Postby Luso2011 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:56 pm

I forgot to thank you, Danaa, for replying to my post. So, thank you! And congrats - I read your good news on another board!!

I took another OPK a short while ago: it looks like three straight days of positives, I think?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Luso2011

Postby MrsGrn » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:21 pm

I know it's so fustrating getting more than one positive. Same happened to me. I was typically getting 2-5 days of positives. I learned this is common with people with irregular cycles like me. Though it didn't help ease my anxiety about whether I O'd or not.
I started clomid last month and decided to go with the fancy (expensive) advanced clear blue easy opk. It was spot on. Confirmed with a cd 21 progesterone of 35 and AF exactly 14 days after my O day. Unfortunately I had a fever and was pretty sick the day I o'd :/ so we only bd'd once. :(
I'm on my second round of clomid this month. This month I'm experimenting, I'm using both brands doing a side by side comparison of the two. At this point I'm totally obsessed with not missing the O! Lol. I'm cd 17 and no positive yet....
When I do I'll let you know the results of my experiment comparing the fancy expensive test vs the cheap ones.

Baby dust to you!!!! Keep us posted :)
Background info: Mom to one 6yo DS with very irregular cycles and history of 2 mc prior to my DS. I am 36 yo and DH 36 too. TTC for second baby since May 2016. Chemical pregnancy in July 2016. Started 1st round Clomid Sept 2016. Second round of 50mg Clomid October 2016.
MrsGrn
Friend

Postby Luso2011 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:12 pm

What a great experiment you're taking on! Using these tests is all quite new to me. When trying to conceive my now three-year-old son, I purchased the Clear Blue OPK as well. I believe the instructions stated to start testing at CD10. In doing that, I never got a positive. That was the last time I used them. I ended up conceiving regardless, but it took a while because I, too, have very irregular cycles. I also learned that my son was conceived immediately after AF.

We have now started TTC #2 and I've purchased Wondfo OPK strips online and have become slightly obsessed as well! And if they are working correctly, I guess I am ovulating right after AF again.

This is all so confusing. It wasn't this confusing with my son. Maybe age is now a factor since I'm at that age where the risk-factors are heightened.

I will keep you posted on what's happening here. You do the same! I'll be peeing on sticks every day! Haha. Tons of baby dust being sent your way!
Luso2011

Postby MrsGrn » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks Luso!

You are totally right the important factor in using the clear blue opk is starting on the right day. I had a 27 day cycle the month before, so this time I had to start on cd 7 per the instructions. The advantage with the advanced clear blue easy opk is it tests for two hormones-- LH and estrogen. As far as comparing the two brands for LH results, both seem to be giving similar results thus far. My LH line on both brands is getting progressively darker the last two days. It will be interesting to see of the digital clear blue gives a positive LH surge result consistent with the results I interpret on the cheap brand as a positive LH surge.

The advantage of the advanced clear blue easy reading the estrogen levels is (in theory) it suppose to identify a larger fertile window to bd prior to ovulation. Typically estrogen surges prior to LH, so by testing for this, you get 1-2 day lead on your LH surge so you can bd. Of course not everyone's hormones behave like the text book. My estrogen results are wacko because I took Clomid (the clear blue packaging warns fertility drugs may skew the estrogen results). However, if you aren't using fertility drugs, I believe testing for two hormones would definitely be advantageous. I will add, with the advanced test it is extremely important to start testing on the right cycle day, because the test must find your "baseline" level of each hormone for the following results to be the most accurate. The advanced clear blue easy is available on Amazon for $40 for a two month supply, so basically $20 per month. I'll be sure to share my results in the end and let you know if it's worth the extra money!

With what you know so far Luso, when are you going to start doing HPT?

I have another experiment planned this month to compare the first response brand and another cheap early HPT from amazon. Can you tell I'm totally obsessed AND a total science nerd? ; ) lol :rofl:
MrsGrn
Friend

Postby ABoulanger » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Last year, the cycle I got pregnant with, I had 4 straight days of positive opks! I was so flustered and we BD every night of the positives and two days after the first negative. I have no idea which day I actually O'd on and I thought I was out because it was so funky... I didn't even obsessively use hpts either. Two days after my period was due- boom- BFP after trying for 6 months :D keep BDing!
TTC since 1/2014
ABoulanger
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Luso2011 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:37 am

MrsGrn: I am SO intrigued by your experiments! If the Clear Blue Advanced OPKs help determine a larger fertile window, then I guess it's best to keep BD'ing then, eh? I'm so worried. Since getting positives on the cheap OPKs, we've BD'ed every other night. Yesterday was another blaring positive, which makes it four straight days of positives and two BD sessions under my belt (no pun intended. Ha!). I hope I'm not missing an opportunity. In addition to the OPKs, I have a lot of EWCM as well.

I'm not going to start HPTs until about two weeks from now, I think. With four days of positive OPKs, it's still quite a large possible window for ovulation. You ladies know how upsetting it is to see those negatives, so I'll try to avoid as much as I can. It's all quite confusing because I have irregular cycles which, on average for this year, are around 38 days. Based on this, with positive OPKs occurring on CD8, 9, 10 and 11, I should have a super-long luteal phase, between 27-31 days! I don't really know when it would make sense to test, but I guess a couple weeks from now should suffice?!

What are your cycles like? If you're almost at a positive OPK, when will you begin HPTs? Are you TTC'ing for your first? I look forward to the results of your ongoing research, MrsGrn :D.

ABoulanger: Wow, you really covered your bases last year! I feel like we may have messed up our chances this month since we've only BD'ed every other night so far. Four positives and two BD sessions so far. I should prep my husband for a busy weekend of BD'ing, eh? Heehee. Are you using OPKs as well? Are you TTC #2?
Luso2011

Postby ABoulanger » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:51 am

We are trying for #2- was going to start using ppl but just got a positive hpt last night. 1 month of trying!

Every other night is perfect!!!

Check for egg white cervical mucus too! That's what I "used" this month
TTC since 1/2014
ABoulanger
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Luso2011 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:51 pm

OMG congrats ABoulanger!! How exciting!! A happy and healthy 9 months to you! Send some of that good luck this way. Haha. All the best to you!
Luso2011

Next

Return to Ovulation