Ovulating on cycle day 19 on Clomid, to late?? Help

The Big O! Everything OVULATION related goes here, including OPK pics, questions about ovulation, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Ovulating on cycle day 19 on Clomid, to late?? Help

Postby ann53015 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:14 am

Hey ladies!! I need some advice. I am very frustrated and I need some advice and/or reassurance. I starting taking Clomid, this was my second month. The first time I ovulated on cycle day 19, confirmed by my RE. This round, I bought the high dollar Clear Blue with the dual hormone tester. I got high fertility on cycle days 13-15 with a peak on the evening of the 15th. We BD the nights of 13,14, 15, and 16. I thought i was covered. Well now AF showed up on cycle day 33 (5 days later than normal) which tells me I ovulated on day 19 again. So I am frustrated for two reasons, first that high dollar ovulation tester is crap lol, and second I have been reading that ovulating later in your cycle is a sign of poor eggs. That scares me because I am 38. This month I am thinking of taking the Clomid days 3-7 instead. I also bought the wondfo ovulation sticks in addition to the expensive Clear Blue I already have. Do you think changing the days of taking the Clomid is a good idea? What do you all think of my situation? Uggghhh very frustrated.
ann53015
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Ovulating on cycle day 19 on Clomid, to late?? Help

Postby thirdnerd » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:41 am

I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm 40 and TTC #3. I just started my third round of Clomid and have been increasing 50 mg each month. The first month, I didn't O until CD 26, the second month CD 20. My OB said anything past about CD 14-16 is considered a Clomid failure, meaning that it didn't properly do the job to get your body to ovulate within the ideal timeframe. I know lots of women will tell you that they O'ed really late and went on to have healthy pregnancies, but from a clinical standpoint, later Os do decrease egg quality, so even if you do conceive, you carry a higher chance of miscarrying.
I started on CD 5-9. but was moved to 3-7, which did bump my O date up about 6 days. This cycle I'm doing 150mg CD 3-7 and am really hoping to have a normal O around CD 14.
My OB also said that since I'm 40, if this third round doesn't work, he'll switch me to Femera. I like him, he's kind of a no-nonsense kinda guy!
Me: Kathryn, 40 yo
Husband: 36 yo
We have 7yo and 4 yo sons.
TTC #3
thirdnerd
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby ann53015 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:11 am

I am trying to conceive #3 as well. My 2 boys are older 11 and 13 from a previous marriage.

Yes my RE only gave me 3 cycles as well but didn't discuss next options like Femara. He orignially wanted to do Clomid and IUI but we aren't ready to do that yet if ever so we are just doing Clomid for now.

Do you think I should change the days to 3-7 or call me RE first and ask?? I don't really see what the difference is except earlier ovulation.
ann53015
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby thirdnerd » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:00 am

I don't think it matters if you call the RE, but a lot of docs have moved from CD5-9 to 3-7 because of the slight increase in success. Its a quality vs quantity issue. The theory is that the earlier you take it, you may have better quality eggs and the later you take it, you may have more developed eggs. I got pregnant with my youngest son on CD 5-9, so I think either is fine. Some people even take it 2-6, which seems early to me. I think I'd call him and ask if he would increase your dose AND move it to 3-7.
TTC #3
thirdnerd
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby ann53015 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks for the advice thirdnerd. I put a call into the office and am waiting for a call back. I will keep you posted. Thanks!!!
ann53015
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ann53015 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:25 am

I have an US today to check for cysts, he is very cautious, grrrr. And then we can discuss this cycle's plan with the Clomid. More waiting. Story of my life....
ann53015
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby thirdnerd » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:56 pm

That's good that he's doing the US though. And probably a blood panel to check that you're starting off with all your hormones at a normal level. Keep us posted!
TTC #3
thirdnerd
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby ann53015 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:42 am

US was good, no cysts. Start next round of Clomid tomorrow at CD5 again, however this time, we are doing a trigger shot to make me ovulate sooner than CD19 and I will have another US on CD 14 to see how many and how "ripe" they are. Ripe was the only word I could think of lol. Anyways, I will then do the trigger shot according to that. Uggghhhh such a process. It's been almost 2 yrs now, losing my steam....
ann53015
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to Ovulation