What to expect during a HSG?

The Big O! Everything OVULATION related goes here, including OPK pics, questions about ovulation, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

What to expect during a HSG?

Postby smouse77 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:35 am

I just scheduled a HSG scan and have no idea what to expect. Is it super painful? I'm finding that I'm pretty nervous about it. I do fine during my annual paps. Is it similar? That's what my doctor said but I'm not sure I believe her, lol. I'd appreciate any info/ experiences you may have had so I know what to expect. Also, did you get pregnant quickly after?
smouse77
Friend

Re: What to expect during a HSG?

Postby Danaa » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:57 pm

I had two of them,my first one was done with a local anesthetic and i didn't felt anything during,my second one was done without and it was just slightly uncomfortable but only for a minute or two bcs I had a small blockage in one of my tubes,I can't compare it with a pap bcs I would be lieing,it feels a bit more invasive than that but if ur doc is good you won't feel a thing.
Lots of women get pregnant right after but sadly lots of women don't get pregnant:(
Take something for the pain one hour before the procedure and a muscle relaxer and you won't feel a thing,the procedure lasts like 10 minutes or so.Good luck!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: What to expect during a HSG?

Postby KFinNY » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:05 pm

I was expecting the worst after reading horror stories online. While it wasn't pleasant, it wasn't terrible. I had a pretty significant cramp when they inserted the catheter. Then they made me wait for a minute or two for the doctor to come in. I was pretty uncomfortable, but it wasn't anything I couldn't tolerate. As soon as they starting inserting the dye, the pain went away. Although I've read that if you do have a blockage, you might cramp during that part. Overall I was in moderate pain for about 2 minutes.
KFinNY

Return to Ovulation