Calculating DPO

The Big O! Everything OVULATION related goes here, including OPK pics, questions about ovulation, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Calculating DPO

Postby Slick » Mon May 08, 2017 2:59 am

Hi guys have a quick question about how you calculate dpo.

I count ovulation as being the day after I get the darkest like on my test strips. I treat this as peak ovulation and from what I understand the egg is released 24 - 36 hours after the peak.

this has been quite consistent for me as the day after my darkest strip I will get painful ovulation cramps so for me that was yesterday so I count today as 1dpo.

How is everyone else counting?
Slick

Re: Calculating DPO

Postby 860lindsey » Tue May 09, 2017 5:05 am

Your systems of calculating sounds good. I was temping for both of the times we tried so when you temp you count the first day of your temperature rise as dpo1.
860lindsey
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Slick » Tue May 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Hmmm may need to get a thermometer, problem Is my waking time is er very variable to say the least. May be worth a go to confirm ovulation, thanks for that!

I'm just never sure if other people are using the same timing as me!
Slick

Postby sandry » Wed May 10, 2017 11:55 am

OPKs can't tell you that you've ovulated, only that you might soon. And while the average is that you'll generally ovulate 12-36 hours after first getting a positive OPK, that can vary greatly by person.

Temping is the best way of doing it. Most people set an alarm for a specific time so that they can temp, and then go back to sleep. My temp alarm is set for 5am; I'm awake for only a couple minutes and then I go back to bed.
sandry
Friend

Postby Slick » Thu May 11, 2017 3:26 am

If nothing happens this month I may go get a thermometer and try it out. i read somewhere that temping isn't 100% either.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7308516

Obviously I have no idea how well controlled that is.

I guess I haven't really done it because I didn't want to add anything else for me to obsess about. Seriously I'm only 4dpo and I couldn't stop myself from poas. Then expanded it, messed with colours and cntrasts and convinced myself I saw a line.....which I din't...just got line eyes. If nothing happens this cycle I guess it couldn't hurt to give it a go. Thanks for the input guys!
Slick

Return to Ovulation