Irregular cycle

The Big O! Everything OVULATION related goes here, including OPK pics, questions about ovulation, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Irregular cycle

Postby lisa252 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:00 am

Why Are My Menstrual Cycles Irregular?
lisa252

Re: Irregular cycle

Postby sarah0187 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:01 am

In a typical reproductive cycle, a single follicle (containing a single egg) reaches maturity after 2 weeks, culminating with the release of that egg in a process called ovulation. Once ovulation has occurred, a menstrual period will occur 12-14 days later unless pregnancy supervenes. Thus, most women cycle every 28 days (14 days to grow the egg and 14 days after ovulation until period returns).

Understandably, if a woman has irregular and unpredictable cycles, then logic suggests that she is probably not ovulating normally. Ovulatory problems are usually divided into two main categories: problems with the ovary and problems with the signals from the brain to the ovary. If the irregular cycles result from a lack of follicles within her ovary, then the failure of the ovary to respond will cause the pituitary gland to secrete increased amounts of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH).Women with elevated levels of FSH are described as having diminished ovarian reserve; if their periods cease entirely, then they are described as having premature ovarian failure (POF). Laboratories may differ as to how they define an “elevated” level of FSH, so a discussion with your physician is crucial to correctly assess the results of this test. In most cases, however, an FSH level of more than 15 IU/L is evidence of diminished ovarian reserve; FSH levels exceeding 30 IU/L usually signify POF.

If a woman has a normal complement of follicles but still does not have normal cycles, then the problem must lie elsewhere. Most such women suffer from a communication mismatch between the brain and ovary, disrupting the carefully coordinated hormone signals that induce the growth of ovarian follicles. The causes of this disruption can be further classified, with most patients being found to have polycystic ovarian syndrome (see Question 23) as opposed to other hormonal imbalances.
sarah0187

Postby Savanah » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Hey,
I’ve some useful information during my experience that may help you. Feeling stress may cause irregular period. Eating disorder, anorexia nervosa or bulimia. Thyroid dysfunction, too much or too little thyroid hormone. Women that suffer from symptoms PCOS, almost have an irregular period or light period. The best thing for you to make blood tests and see the doctor that know what’s the reason for imbalance hormones.
Savanah
Friend

Postby Magdalena » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Hello. This question is very important to ask. After making more search on the internet, I found that the probable main cause is not ovulating period. Unhealthy lifestyle, extreme weight gain or weight loss and excessive exercise. Contraceptive pill may cause spotting between periods. Be careful and see a doctor.
Magdalena

Postby VandaKa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi!

I always struggle with irregularity of the cycle. I even have the calendar on my phone to follow and to predict my ovulation. However, I still cannot catch it and it usually fluctuate within the cycle. So does any of you know how to calculate the ovulation precisely? I am not sure that I can trust those apps because it's only approximate dates. Me and my husband are planning a child so i would like to know for sure. I will apreciate any answers!
VandaKa

Postby Karly123 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:52 am

Hey, all. I’m 24 Y.O and my cycle was irregular. This caused me many problems Psychologically and physically. I used to have excessive exercises. I was running for long hours every day. But I discovered that excessive exercises may put too much stress on my body to produce the regularity of hormones it needs to complete a cycle. This is why my period became irregular. I’ve realized that maybe is too hard for my body. I took off a week completely from training and follow a healthy diet. So that, my body has sufficient rest and everything became regular.GL
Last edited by Karly123 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karly123

Postby sonamgupta2107 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 am

Hi dear. I know that uncontrolled diabetes causes havoc with periods, also rapid weight loss. I am having problems with my periods at the moment but not sure if it’s to do with my age I’m 45 years old I have 3 children and my periods have been as regular as clockwork for years every 28 days. But since May I have had no periods at all, I’m not pregnant because I’ve done pregnancy test that was negative plus I was sterilized in 2003 after the birth of my 3rd child. I have tight control of my diabetes only problem I have is no awareness of HYPOS and my HYPOS being very erratic. I went to the G.P last month when I was 3 weeks late but she just said it’s the menopause and she can't-do anything till I miss 3 periods then I can have a blood test to check hormone levels. The only thing that concerns me is I have symptoms of pre-menstrual (PMS) but no signs of menopause apart from a bit moody but I get like that a week before my period anyway, now I have a pinky/brown discharge it doesn’t smell but I just want to know whats going on. Don't want to go back to my G.P yet because the normal doctor I see who is a lot more understanding and deals with a gynecologist is on maternity leave until September so I will probably end up with this doctor I see who, to be honest, gave the impression I was wasting her time. But my husband one day took me to Lotus Center in Ukraine. He heard from his friend that they are best in these matters. Their tips had already started helping me. Hope my experience will help someone.
sonamgupta2107
Friend

Return to Ovulation