Frustrated with OPK's...help!

The Big O! Everything OVULATION related goes here, including OPK pics, questions about ovulation, etc.

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Frustrated with OPK's...help!

Postby WillowTree » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi all,

My DH and I have been TTC for three months now. I've been using OPK's and tracking my cycle for five months or so. I have perfect 30 day cycles, consistent EWCM when it's supposed to be there, but my OPK"s have been a nightmare. I've tried;

Clearblue monitor; got a few days of "low" then a string of never ending "highs," no peak at all. It was the same way for three cycles .

First response, two pink lines= tests. All negative, tried for two months. One possible positive test, but hard to distinguish the two shades of pink. I took another test just a few hours later and it was negative. I tried this one at all hours of the day.

Clearblue strips, flashy face tests; I tried this one for the first time this cycle. I got four days of low, then it jumped straight to peak on CD 14 with no high in between. - seems kind of suspicious to me

I very highly suspect I have PCOS, but haven't gotten diagnosed. I'm wondering if it is even worth continuing to try OPK's when they are so inconsistent and expensive!

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?
WillowTree

Re: Frustrated with OPK's...help!

Postby BeeCee33 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:50 pm

My only advice would be to buy cheapies. I like wondfos, but there are a ton of brands out there. Check Amazon. You can also get opk's at the dollar store, but I think that's about twice the cost of most cheapies online.

I know a ton of people who have gotten good positives on cheapies and never had the digitals work for them. To me they aren't worth the money!

As for the PCOS, it is possible that can affect opks. But cheapies would be better there, too, since you're probably going through a lot of them.
Me (Becca): 33 DH:38

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/2015

Giving letrozole a try at 2.5 mg:
Cycle 1-- BFN
Cycle 2-- BFN
Added progesterone
Cycle 3-- BFN
Cycle 4-- BFN
Cycle 5-- IUI #1 10/4/18
My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby RoloCat » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Yup. I second the cheapie suggestion. The LH surge can be VERY short, and if you're only taking a single test/day, it is possible to miss it. I bought Wondfo dipsticks from amazon (50 for ~$20, but they have larger options available) and would take them 3x/day (morning, early afternoon, evening). It is suggested to take OPKs in the afternoon, and not with FMU; I always had the darkest lines with my afternoon tests.

Remember, too, that just because an OPK is positive, it doesn't mean that you actually ovulated. Only temping can confirm if/when ovulation occurs (and you won't know until after the fact). If you are not charting your BBT, I'd recommend that you add that to your regimen. Since you worry about PCOS, a few months of charting will help you determine if you are ovulating (and when in your cycle) or not. There is a free charting option on www.fertilityfriend.com

GL
me: 41yo
DH: 42yo
married 11yrs, together 16 and just decided to start trying...

TTC#1 cycle 3:
6/10/14 CD1
6/29/14 CD20 ovulation
7/7/14 (8dpo) BFP
7/9/14 (10dpo) beta#1 hcg: 34.5 progesterone 20.8
7/11/14 (12dpo) beta#2 hcg 139
7/30/14 early u/s 6w5d HB 121
8/12/14 u/s 8w2d HB 175
9/11/12: It's a BOY!
10/29/14: 19wk ultrasound
11/26/14: 23wk ultrasound
12/23/14: 27wk ultrasound
12/31/14: gestational diabetes. Yuck.

3/6/15: Welcome to the world, Thomas Joseph "TJ" Roland (2 weeks early)
7:56pm
6lb 15oz
18in
RoloCat
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Queen Shellybean » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:34 am

I was using cheap OPK's called clear and simple, switched to boots OPK strips, not the ones in the plastic casing, just the strips, got a very obvious positive today
Queen Shellybean

Return to Ovulation