ttc #2 while breastfeeding!!

This board is for Mom's TTC #2, #3, #4 or more!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

ttc #2 while breastfeeding!!

Postby ashleybrooke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Hello :) I have an 8.5 month old son and am ttc baby #2. My cycle returned in December and has ranged from 26-37 days..I'm not sure if I'm ovulating again yet though :/ My son nurses A LOT! (10-12+ times a day usually)..and I know that can cause me not to ovulate. Anyone here that exclusively breastfed (I have not given DS any solids yet) and got pregnant? (especially moms of babies 6-9 months or younger) I want to breastfeed DS until he is at least a year old but would love to be able to for around 2.5 years or until he self weans. I conceived DS on/after a completely weird 34 day cycle. (my cycles have always been 28 days, except that one!! - well and for about a month after getting off birth control and now they're irregular still since giving birth)
ashleybrooke
Friend

Re: ttc #2 while breastfeeding!!

Postby cassie9570 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:49 am

You really can't compare yourself with other mommies bc we are all so different. AF returned in Jan for me and I Oed that month but not the next but did again this month. I know mommies that were bfing and got pregnant when babies were a few months old. I guess just try and track your cycle and see if you are. I am weaning on Monday and not looking forward to it but my progesterone is still low from the bfing and I want a baby so I have no choice. At least with #2 I can bf as long as I want. Good luck to you!!!! :D
Stephanie-35 DH-38
DS - 4, DD - 2
Have a fur baby Pug that is 11
cassie9570
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby ashleybrooke » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:40 pm

Part of me thinks that I may have ovulated on cycle day 14, but I'm not sure! I only BD once this month, (CD 9 or 10) and just started using ovulation tests to try to figure out my cycles and obviously to see if I'm ovulating. I believe I tested on CD 11, 12, 13, 15, and 16. I was really busy on CD 14 and didn't test. All those days were pretty dark (not quite as dark as the control line, but pretty close on a couple days) Today I am on CD 28 or 29 and I tested yesterday just because and the test line was barely there! So, I'm thinking maybe I did ovulate?? Waiting for AF now (I also took a pregnancy test yesterday "for fun," although I knew it would be negative) Will start testing again around CD 11 next month. *baby dust to you*
ashleybrooke
Friend

Postby Lulubee » Tue May 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Heya Ashley,
I've been wondering many of the same things.

I just posted the below in a less relevant section of the site, before I realised this section existed.

''I have a question for anyone who was TTC while breastfeeding. I'm currently breastfeeding my nine-month-old daughter and while we're not planning on TTC #2 for a few more months, I'm starting to think about whether it's even going to be possible. I currently don't have AF back and can't see her returning while I'm breastfeeding. I guess I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences - when did you start to cycle again? Did you have to wean completely for AF to return or did she return while you were still breastfeeding? Were you able to get pg again while breastfeeding? I had really hoped to breastfeed my LO until she's around 18 months, but since we plan to start trying for #2 when she's 14 or so months, I'm guessing I may have to wean, which makes me sad."

Isn't it amazing the variation between women. It seem some people cycle again and get pg really easily while breastfeeding and others don't get their periods back at all and have to wean. Just the variation between you and I is remarkable - you are feeding 10-12 times a day but have started your cycles again (with a question mark over ovulation), and I'm only feeding DD four times a day and haven't had a hint of a cycle the entire 9 months since her birth. I feel like I'm going to have to get down to one feed or even completely wean before I'll start cycling again. I'm sad about that because, like you, I'd hoped to breastfeed until at least 18 months, or until she was ready to give up, but we're also keen to start trying for #2 in a few months and don't want to put that off too long (because we want them about 2 years apart, and also because I'll be 35 when trying for #2).

I'm curious as to why your LO isn't on any solids yet? Have you thought about introducing solids to try to reduce the number of feeds? I wonder if you would start to regularly ovulate if you were feeding a bit less? Maybe if you could try to get down to about 5 or 6 feeds a day - with a 4 hour gap or so, then you might have more luck?

For us, we're doing four feeds (roughly four hourly) during the day and no night feeds (or one every now and then) and three solid meals a day and I'm still not cycling! Hmmm. It will be interesting to see if AF returns for me once I get down to two feeds a day, which I'm told happens when they're around 12 months.

Keep us posted on how you're getting on. Baby dust to you!
Lulubee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ihaveapanda » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:27 pm

I wish had some suggestions, but I'm in the same boat! My 14 month old still BFs every 2-3 hours (yes...all throughout the night too). She just doesn't have much interest in "real food". No AF at all. I did get a opk+ on May 31st and I think I O'd on the 1st or 2nd. We only DTD once so I know chances are slim. BFN this morning, but I'm still holding out!

:babydust:
Emily - 27; DH - 31
Married 8.14.10
DD - Scarlett - 3/29/12
BFP on 8/7/14
Imagei
ihaveapanda
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Beezel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm concerned about this too. We're going to start TTC next month and I have only had one period since my October 2012 birth so I have no idea if I'm regular or not.
Jessica - 26; DH - 29
Married 09.18.10
Alison - 10.01.2012
TTC #2 starting in August 2013
Beezel

Postby Lulubee » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:02 am

Can you try charting for a cycle or two Beezel? Just to see what your cycles are doing now and roughly when you O? Do you have any telltale O signs that you can count on? I'm now on my third PP cycle and it seems I'm ovulating at roughly the same time I used to before having DD - perhaps a little later than usual, but not much. Might just help you to track a cycle or two to see how different, if at all, your PP cycles are.

Good luck with TTC #2! I'll be joining you probably November :D
Lulubee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missygrrl » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:13 pm

How do u chart if you don't have cycle back? My baby is just 1 yr now and still sleeps with me and feeds all thru the night which is probably why I haven't had a ppaf yet. I dtd once, 4 days ago and have been feeling on/off nauseas hormonal and cranky. It will be a long shot i think if we get a bfp from that but hoping if I do get pregnant that baby will self wean and sleep thru the night even though I was hoping to breastfeed for at least 2 yrs!!
missygrrl

Postby Lulubee » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:24 am

Hi there missygrrl,
You could still chart even without having your cycles back but it would be pretty annoying, depending on when you did finally ovulate and get AF. But even without having had a PPAF you could still chart and may be able to detect when you're about to ovulate for the first time (as you'd probably notice a temp. dip just before O). Then you'd also get the temp. rise after the first ovulation. But given that you'd never really know when your cycles would return, I would think temping before your first PPAF would just be kinda tiresome.

Have you thought about transitioning your little one to his/her own sleeping space? Might help you to feed less during the night, which should help you start cycling again.

Good luck with TTC #2
Last edited by Lulubee on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lulubee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missygrrl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:52 am

Thx for yur reply lulubee :-) yeah I can't be bothered temping lol! I shd be putting baby in his cot the problem is sleeping with me on the boob is all he's ever known so I know it will be a hard transition that I don't have the strength to deal with yet, plus the fact he's had unexplained seizures so part of me is afraid to have him away from me just incase he has one. I just hope if my milk supply stops he will stop sucking and at least sleep through. Then when he's bigger and stronger and I have another baby I will get him into his own bed. You probably didn't want to know all that lol but just saying it helps me work it out in my mind :-)
missygrrl

Postby Lulubee » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:07 am

Well that's completely understandable that you'd want him close if he's had seizures, poor bubba. That must be so scary for you. Your milk supply might keep on going as long as he's still interested. Hopefully as he gets a bit older his feeds will reduce a bit in number and he might stop feeding so much at night. With any luck your cycles will return before long. If you're having a lot of trouble with it all and are getting desperate for another baby it might be worth talking to your doctor about ways that might help get your body ticking over again. I have definitely read that night weaning can be the trigger for a lot of women, so if you can somehow manage to get him through the night without feeding you might have some luck there. Best of luck with it all.

I also have a one year old - she turned one this Saturday just gone. We plan to start TTC #2 in December, so not too long now. I'm lucky in that my cycles returned a couple of months ago, so I've got a bit of time for them to hopefully get back to normal before we try for a bub.

KUP on how you get along. Good luck
Lulubee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JessM » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:03 am

I'm TTC while BFing my first, but he only nurses 2-3 times a day now. I have had my cycle back since December.

IT'S A BOY!
Declan 12/31/11 at 10:29 PM
JessM

Postby missygrrl » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Just got my period back wen I thought I might be pregnant! Was gutted but happy now I got a bit more time to get my body in better condition before another prefnancy
missygrrl

Return to TTC #2 or more