My Ectopic Pregnancy Story

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

My Ectopic Pregnancy Story

Postby SamLeeC » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I just feel that I should share my story on here, in hopes that it one day helps someone else to recognize ectopic pregnancy symptoms early and get help as soon as possible.

I had my first IUI done this cycle, with an HCG trigger shot. I was anxiously awaiting my TWW testing day and took a test a little early...here's how my days went -

(All days before 12 DPO I was feeling fluttering, cramping, etc...sure I was pregnant b/c I could tell the difference)
12 DPO - VERY faint BFP
13 DPO - BFN on FRER
14 DPO - Very faint BFP on FRER and blue dye / Went in for HCG test, urine test at doctor's office was BFN (Moderate cramping)
15 DPO - Pink CM when wiped / HCG came back at 6 (Doctor's office thought it may be leftover from my HCG shot earlier in the month)
16 DPO - Brown discharge started (assumed it was my period, heavy enough that a pad was needed) - Went in for another blood test
17 DPO - Brown discharge
18 DPO - Brown discharge, became faint near end of the day
19 DPO - faint brown discharge, went away early in the day, back to nothing
20 DPO - Received a call from Doctors office that my HCG (from 16 DPO) went up to 20. Went home took FRER and it was a clear BFP
21 DPO - HCG went up to 61
22 DPO - Went to hospital for U/S to check for possible ectopic due to brown discharge and low HCG number / Nothing could be seen on U/S
23 DPO - HCG went up to 107, brown spotting started again
24 DPO - Brown spotting
25 DPO - Brown spotting
25 DPO - Brown spotting, got bright red spotting twice when wiping. U/S at doctor's office couldn't see anything. Doctor suspected miscarriage. / HCG went up to 430
26 DPO - Nausea all day, Cramping (moderate)
27 DPO - Severe cramping on right side ovary, pain through nerve in right leg, brown discharge getting heavier (almost rust colored when wiping, specs of red in it) / HCG only went up to 560. Doctor insisted we perform D&C and suggested Laparascopy in case it was ectopic, and because she wanted a better look at my tubes/uterus anyways.

I went in to have the surgery done a few days ago, and it turned out it was an ectopic pregnancy in my right fallopian tube. I'm grateful for my doctor's instincts, and also for her close monitoring of me to save my tube from rupturing and potentially my life.

I was reading all the other ectopic pregnancy, brown spotting, miscarriage posts while I was going through all of this and it was helpful in allowing me to diagnose myself. I so wanted this to be a healthy pregnancy but I was concerned with my low numbers, and the brown discharge. I just wanted to post my story for others to observe. Just be cautious, I hope this doesn't happen to any of you, and wish the best sticky baby dust to everyone.
SamLeeC
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: My Ectopic Pregnancy Story

Postby hunnybunny23 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:23 am

i feel for you sam, i hope we both get back on the other side soon, i am still waiting to m/c and if i havnt i will go for either a d&c or medically managed to get it started

me:26 OH: 28
DS born: 42w1d cs 14.05.09
DD born 42w1d induced VBAC Assisted forceps 15.04.11
DS2 40w4d Spontaneous natural 2VBAC 27.10.13
hunnybunny23
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SamLeeC » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks Hunny, I hope we do too. I feel like this sort of got me a step closer...the whole concept of knowing that my egg and DH's sperm actually CAN form a baby was a great discovery in itself. This is our 1st we are TTC so even knowing that at this point is nice...
SamLeeC
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Jelleke » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:57 am

Thank you for posting this, Sam.

For me brown spotting has never been good either. All my losses started like that. I am so hoping I never have to see it ever again. My heart always sank when I saw even the smallest piece of darker CM every time. I feel it will take away a lot of my happiness in a time that should be exciting and happy when I will be pregnant again.

I had a lot of pain in my shoulder tips on the day I started bleeding fully this last time. I was hysterical and thought I was having an ectopic myself. I mentioned it to the doctor that went over my betas and she said that I shouldn't be worried about that because my HCG was only 12 and so that meant my body was doing the necessary things itself. She said the pain might have just been from laying down during the night and having fluids in my uterus ready to come out.

I'm happy that you are alright physically and I hope that you will heal mentally soon.
Me 31 - DH 41

:angel2:
M/C @ 9w4d on April 29, 2012
Early Loss on July 7, 2012
Early Loss on August 9, 2012
Early Loss on September 7, 2012
Early Loss on October 5, 2012
Early Loss on January 7, 2013

Unexplained Infertility.

My blog: Stalked by Storks

My Ovulation Chart
Jelleke
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Ash26 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Thank you Sam!

I just had the exact same thing happen!
Thought AF started (heavy brown spotting and cramping) 14dpIUI. HGC beta was 22.
Was put on progesterone suppositories, spotting stopped. Beta 4 days later was 340.
Started spotting again 24dpIUI, beta was 560. This time some cramping and low back pain. Had an ultrasound and no pregnancy to be seen in my uterus. Had a high definition ultrasound of my tubes and there it was in the right tube.
Was given an injection to stop the cells from multiplying
Ash26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SamLeeC » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:45 am

Hi Ladies!

I somehow never got notified of your responses...but wanted to do a quick update. I am recovered now and was just trying to get myself used to the idea of trying the IUI again (a bit gun shy after this past experience). All I had done since this had happened in September was take a round of clomid in November and that didn't do anything.

I skipped the clomid in December and did nothing. No ovulation kits, no tracking of any kind, no medicine, even slacked on prenatal vitamins...and as I took a FRER on Sunday (day 37 of my cycle) sure that I would be throwing it in the trash with the rest...I got a BFP!!!!

I'm cautiously really excited about it all, my first beta came back at 831 and Progesterone level of 23.6. My ectopic never went past 560, and when I was 5 weeks along it was only 107 rather than where I'm at now which is 831.

I'm really hoping it works out well and we finally get our little miracle! I just wanted to post so others know there is hope after a loss! :)
SamLeeC
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Sen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 am

Hello Samlee, coincidence that I was just checking in here on a fly-by visit and saw this update - BIG CONGRATS TO YOOOOOU!

I love more than anything to hear stories of post ep ladies who have got a BFP as this is what encourages me to keep the faith for the future.

I guess there must come a time when the thought of being pregnant again doesn't make you want to hide under a big duvet :|

x
Charlotte (34) DF (23) DS1 (2)
'One n Done' for now.

:angel2: M/C 4th Sep 2012
:angel2: Ectopic & Left-Side Salpingectomy 4th Dec 2012
:bfp: 11th July 2013
Sen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SamLeeC » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Sen wrote:Hello Samlee, coincidence that I was just checking in here on a fly-by visit and saw this update - BIG CONGRATS TO YOOOOOU!

I love more than anything to hear stories of post ep ladies who have got a BFP as this is what encourages me to keep the faith for the future.

I guess there must come a time when the thought of being pregnant again doesn't make you want to hide under a big duvet :|

x

Thank you so much!!! And I'm so sorry you've had to deal with loss as well :? :hugs:

I know there is nothing I can say that you haven't heard before, I'm so glad that my story got to you so you could have some extra faith that it WILL happen for you, because I just know it will!!

I was just coming around to the idea of the IUI again, I definitely have been scared to be pregnant again..and to be honest I'm still nervous, even now. I have a feeling I'll be nervous for a long time, but I'd like to see an U/S so I can know the little bean is not in my tube again...
SamLeeC
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Sen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:55 am

Samlee, I wish you the very very best for your u/s - do you have a date for it yet?
Don't be nervous, i'm sure everything this time will be just fine :D

- I was notified today that I have endometriosis, which finally gives me the answers i've been looking for as to what caused my ep. When I looked down the list of symptoms online, it was as if a lightbulb went off in my head! So now to deal with this..

Good luck, and don't forget to leave a little update when you have the scan! x
Charlotte (34) DF (23) DS1 (2)
'One n Done' for now.

:angel2: M/C 4th Sep 2012
:angel2: Ectopic & Left-Side Salpingectomy 4th Dec 2012
:bfp: 11th July 2013
Sen
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SamLeeC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:49 am

Sen wrote:Samlee, I wish you the very very best for your u/s - do you have a date for it yet?
Don't be nervous, i'm sure everything this time will be just fine :D

- I was notified today that I have endometriosis, which finally gives me the answers i've been looking for as to what caused my ep. When I looked down the list of symptoms online, it was as if a lightbulb went off in my head! So now to deal with this..

Good luck, and don't forget to leave a little update when you have the scan! x

Hi Sen!

I never got notified that you replied to this, sorry about that! I had my first U/S last Wednesday and it was confirmed that the pregnancy is in my uterus this time! No heartbeat yet, but I'm scheduled for another U/S on Wednesday, trying not to let my nerves get to me but I'm dying to see that little heartbeat flicker on the U/S!

I'm glad you were able to figure out what caused you ep, and i'm so sorry you had to go through that too. If this helps give you any hope, 2 people very close to me both have severe endometriosis, assumed once they got married they wouldn't have a good chance of getting pregnant, and both were pregnant the first month that they tried!!
Sam

TTC #1 - 19 Months
Clomid 50mg, 100mg, 150mg
IUI - 8/12
:angel: 9/13/12 (ectopic pregnancy from IUI)
BFP - 1/13/13!
1st Beta - 831 / 23.6 Progesterone (20 DPO)
2nd Beta - 4000 (23 DPO)

Image Image
SamLeeC
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to Miscarriage, Ectopic, and Pregnancy Loss Support