Chemical pregnancies

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Chemical pregnancies

Postby pamelamh4 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:26 am

I have two beautiful daughters, ages 6 and 3, and I'm age 33. My first was conceived ridiculously easy, on the first try. I had 4 chemical pregnancies before I conceived my second daughter. The CPs usually lasted about 3-7 days on average. Well, my husband and I decided to try for a third this past month. We didn't try very hard, I didn't chart or anything. I purposely didn't test early, because I didn't want to get my hopes up. I tested on the day my period was due - a BFP. Then, the day after - another BFP. Then, two days later, my period came. I know it could always be worse, I am trying to keep this is perspective, but going through this experience again has not been easy. I've never gotten any good advice from doctors as to why I am prone to chemical pregnancies. Has anyone out there tried a vitamin, a food, a certain practice to help avoid them? I don't know if it's something I'm doing or not, or if it's just me. This is my first time posting on this site. Thanks in advance!
pamelamh4

Re: Chemical pregnancies

Postby MASHINKA » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:47 am

Have you had your progesterone levels tested? That would be my frist step, and if they are low, I would take progesterone cream from O day until hopefully your first trimester.
Los Angeles Birth Photographer
www.mashageorgievphotography.com
MASHINKA
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby pamelamh4 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks!
pamelamh4

Postby Rosie-o » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:49 pm

I'm interested in this too! I've just had my 3rd confirmed chemical pregnancy in a row (there was possibly a 4th in the mix but unconfirmed). These have all happened on consecutive months. I'm seeing a fert spec next month to have progesterone tested and anything else he thinks would be a good idea. I have a 2.5 year old who we conceived first try. The chemicals started after our 2nd daughter was stillborn so not sure if levels of something are messed up from that?

A friend mentioned the idea of being "super fertile" as a possible reason for so many chemicals? Here is a link, I found it interesting. Considering the chances of falling pregnant are only 1 in 4 it's weird I've conceived every cycle for 4 months in a row....... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19361432
Take care, I hope we get our sticky babies very soon. Feel free to PM me anytime. xx
Me: 32
Him: 31
DD 1 : 3rd feb 2010
DD 2: Stillborn @ 20 weeks 1st March 2012
DS: 31st Aug 2013
Rosie-o
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby MASHINKA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:51 am

Wow what an interesting article! I think it may have some truth to it? Its worth a try! Rosie,,, why dont you try to wait a cycle or two?
Los Angeles Birth Photographer
www.mashageorgievphotography.com
MASHINKA
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby *Apples* » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Hmmmm very interesting article and I'm also glad that scientists are researching this.

Also - (just while we are sharing info) I found this article and later on in one of the paragraphs it talks about hair dye in pregnancy - do you think there could be any truth to this because I dye my hair a lot (like once a month). I would hate to think that I am doing something harmful. There is this case of a woman here in the UK who went into a coma after dyeing her hair (she regularly dyed her hair with no previous problems) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15828266. Aghhh it makes you think.
*Apples*
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Rosie-o » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:34 am

MASHINKA wrote:Wow what an interesting article! I think it may have some truth to it? Its worth a try! Rosie,,, why dont you try to wait a cycle or two?

Would you wait? GP has said there's no reason to as the chemicals happened only a day or 2 later than AF's usual arrival. Betas didn't get above 20. What do you think waiting would achieve? Genuinely interested!

I'm having acupuncture and am booked in to see a fert spec in early Nov so we aren't "trying" this cycle- no temping, no OPK's etc but we're not avoiding either.
Rosie-o
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Rosie-o » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:38 am

*Apples* wrote:Hmmmm very interesting article and I'm also glad that scientists are researching this.

Also - (just while we are sharing info) I found this article and later on in one of the paragraphs it talks about hair dye in pregnancy - do you think there could be any truth to this because I dye my hair a lot (like once a month). I would hate to think that I am doing something harmful. There is this case of a woman here in the UK who went into a coma after dyeing her hair (she regularly dyed her hair with no previous problems) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15828266. Aghhh it makes you think.

She would have been allergic. I am allergic to hair dye, when I did dye it (as a one off) My entire neck swelled, my eyes were swollen shut, my ears peeled, I had chemical burns all over my scalp etc. I am not into putting ANY chemicals on my skin now and even if I wasn't allergic I wouldn't dye my hair. Maybe cut back a litte? Or use foils instead?
Rosie-o
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby *Apples* » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:22 am

Well it was weird because she apparently dyed her hair with the same product and had been for years...maybe it builds up on your hair? I dunno but it has really freaked me out! I won't dye my hair anymore and will look into highlights or something. Am NOT going to go grey!
*Apples*
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Rosie-o » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:10 pm

I think it was probaby more likely that the company changed the ingredients? They say you should patch tests EVERY time you dye your hair even with the same brand.
Rosie-o
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Jelleke » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:15 pm

I don't see a reason as to wait a few cycles after chemicals. I've had 4 consecutive early losses in a row now after a m/c at 9w4d and I relate to Rosie a lot. It upsets me when people suggest waiting. My doctors don't either. I've been put on progesterone after the second early loss, but with losing two while on progesterone, I'm suspecting this is not the cause. I'm having blood work done if this cycle doesn't work out. Blood clotting disorders and APS most likely. I feel outsiders always really look at early losses in a minimalizing way.

I just wanted to say that it's not something that you do or did. I had a perfect annual appointment at the gyn every time, all my tests were excellent. It's not something that you can prevent at this point in time. I know there's some research being done like the super-fertile theory from last August, but we probably would have to wait a long time before we would get any treatment they would come up with. And time in this case isn't on our sides.

I hope you get your third munchkin soon! Good luck!
Me 31 - DH 41

:angel2:
M/C @ 9w4d on April 29, 2012
Early Loss on July 7, 2012
Early Loss on August 9, 2012
Early Loss on September 7, 2012
Early Loss on October 5, 2012
Early Loss on January 7, 2013

Unexplained Infertility.

My blog: Stalked by Storks

My Ovulation Chart
Jelleke
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby emilymoore68 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:10 am

A chemical pregnancy is a pregnancy in which the woman tests positive for pregnancy but miscarries before anything can be seen in the uterus on ultrasound. More info about chemical pregnancy read here: http://motherhow.com/why-chemical-pregn ... verything/
emilymoore68

Return to Miscarriage, Ectopic, and Pregnancy Loss Support