How long until a negative HPT?

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

How long until a negative HPT?

Postby booger » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:03 pm

I think I miscarried on Friday, but my hpt strips are still showing positive (not lighter), and I know they'll do that for a bit. I know that they have to go all the way to BFN before I can start figuring out when I'm ovulating again to use the OPK strips and everything...? Or could I possibly ovulate while I still have the hCG in my system and not rely on the opk tests? I started charting only 3 days ago...
Thanks
booger
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: How long until a negative HPT?

Postby Romseygirl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi sorry for your loss, I went through it myself last month. I was having my levels checked daily with blood work for a full 7 days before mine finally went back to zero.

How long has it been?
ME: 37 - DH: 47 (British Girl Living in Canada)
DD - 16
DD - 13
DD - 10 mths

BFP - February 2013 - MC - 5wks 3days
BFP - April 2013 - MMC - 9wks 2days D & C - June 2013
BFP - January 14th 2014 @ 10dpo PreSeed only No Meds!!
Romseygirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks, and I'm sorry for yours! It really sucks and is so disappointing.
It started on Friday. On Wednesday before that, my level was 400. I'm having a lot of trouble getting in with a doctor, and my doctor won't see me because they want me to go to a obgyn. I asked them if they could just order a blood test and they wanted an obgyn to do that (even though they ordered the first one)!! So it's not until Saturday that I could get in, so I can't get bloodwork done.
Anyway, I have all those internet test strips, and they kept showing + and weren't even lighter. However, this morning I did one and it was way way lighter--just a very feint line. So I guess I have my answer.... I'll start doing OPK soon. I'm going to go to the obgyn anyway to get established there in case this happens again, and in case it's not just a text-book miscarriage and make sure everything is ok...
booger
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Romseygirl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:56 pm

Wow I cannot believe they wont see you to get blood work done. My doctor saw me within 24hrs of the bleed starting, did an internal, sent me directly for blood work, then sent me the following day to the hospital to get my anti d needle. Then blood work everyday for 7 days. On top of that she called me at home every evening around 8.30pm to tell me that days results! She was awesome!!!

How long have you been ttc?
DD - 16
DD - 13
DD - 10 mths

Romseygirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby booger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:07 pm

I know!! If it weren't for reading on this forum and a good friend of mine who'd gone through it, I'd be super scared and wouldn't know what to think! Instead I know that I (probably) went through a very typical experience.
We only tried in January and February and not really "tried" very hard with either one, meaning that I didn't chart and kinda guessed at my fertile days. Turns out I must have gotten pregnant a week after when I *thought* I was ovulating anyway. But now I have all the OPK strips and I'm charting, so I'll be able to see when I actually ovulate... I'm still really excited that I was able to *get* pregnant, because I'm 32 and have never been pregnant before.

I signed up for this babycenter update, and now that I cancelled my pregnancy on there, I get emails on loss and TTC, and I just clicked on this link from one of them: http://www.babycenter.com/400_getting-p ... 256_931.bc
It's super optimistic and pretty surprising!
booger
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Romseygirl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Now that is good reading!!!

I wasnt expecting to ovulate at all this month and was just waiting on my period but then there was the tell tell signs of ovulatation!

I chart but I don't temp or opk, I am on cycle 4 after 11 yrs on the mirena coil. I am 35 and have two beautiful teenage daughters.

I feel like I don't appreciate my first two, I was very young and became a single mum to a 3yr and 1yr when my ex walked out. I worked full time and covered a mortgage/bills alone. I missed out on my girls baby years!!

I now have an awesome husband who is an excellent father, now is my time to enjoy pregnancy and the early years with the support and blessing of my family.

Just need to get pregnant lol
DD - 16
DD - 13
DD - 10 mths

Romseygirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lorza » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:26 am

I can't comment on the HPT, but it does seem to take awhile for the Hcg levels to drop especially when they get really low. I've been getting my blood drawn weekly since my miscarriage 4 weeks ago (I was 7w4d) and I'm still getting borderline positive blood tests.
I'm 32, my husband is 36.
TTC since Dec 2011 - Unexplained Infertility

TTC naturally through Sept 2012
Oct 2012 - HSG - Monitored natural cycle = BFN
Nov 2012 - Clomid 50mg + trigger shot = BFN
Dec 2012 - Clomid 100mg + trigger shot + IUI = BFP!!!
Feb 2013 - Miscarriage - 7w4d (Blighted Ovum)
Mar 2013 - Hysteroscopy - Clomid 100mg + tigger shot + IUI = BFN
Apr 2013 through Feb 2014 - TTC naturally, saving up for a few more IUIs
Mar 2014 - Femara 5mg + trigger shot + IUI = BFP!!!
4/1 First Beta - 294
lorza
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to Miscarriage, Ectopic, and Pregnancy Loss Support