Lap recovery

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Lap recovery

Postby B Michaelson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:20 am

Just had a lap for ruptured ectopic. Holy crap does my side and shoulder hurt. I am on T3's (one every 4 hrs - lowest dose) but the advil is really what helps. I know its inflammation from the CO2 but it is the worst part right now. Magic bag has helped a little.

Other than that I am dreading taking off these sticky bandages over my incisions later today. I try to get up and walk around every few hrs to keep the blood flowing.

Anyone have any advice for lap recovery?

I forgot to ask, will my body ovulate now or go to AF first? Dr said hcg should be gone in a week but I am not sure what to expect now.
Me - 36
Hashimotos, JHS/EDS, ANA negative, 1 Fallopian tube
DH - 41
TTC #1 Aug 2012 - May 2014
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016
May 2017 :bfp:

:angel: Our Angels :angel:
2004 - 7.5 weeks
Oct 2013 - 6w6d ruptured ectopic
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Lap recovery

Postby radkitten » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:28 am

Oh hun, I am so sorry =(. I lost my left tube to an ectopic back in May. Mine didn't rupture though, we caught it with my beta's beforehand.

My biggest advice is to rest and be easy on yourself. Physically it took me a few weeks to feel good again. Don't push yourself or try to do too much too soon. I think it took about a week to really get all of the air out of my abdomen and for the random bouts of shoulder and chest pain to stop.

Did you have a D&C as well or just the lap? If no D&C I would imagine AF should come as the HCG starts to drop. I had a D&C with my lap, so I had my first AF about 6 weeks after my lap.
Me (31) - Homozygous MTHFR A1298C, Endometriosis, Left Fallopian Tube removed
DH (33) - Normal
Married - 09/09/09

First ever :bfp: 5/6/13
5-17-13 - D&C and ectopic pregnancy removal at 5w5d. Lost left fallopian tube. Right ovarian cyst removed.

Aug 2013 - 1st clomid cycle (50mg CD3-7). 5 follies, missed ovulation, timed intercourse. BFN
Nov 2013 - Jan 2014 - Follicles all on the left.
Feb 2014 - 5mg Femara CD3-7 - Cyst on left ovary, 18mm follie right ovary! Trigger 2/20, IUI 2/22 BFN
October 2014 - IVF #1. Retrieval October 22nd?

radkitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:34 am

Thanks Rad.

They removed the baby with the tube so she said my hcg will be back to 0 in about a week. I wasn't sure if AF would come then or if I just start a new cycle. I don't know what my lining would be like with an ectopic but I am expecting it to maybe be heavy.

They said to take a week or two off work so I was hoping it would be less sore in a few days. I let the advil wear off after taking a T3 and I found it hard to breath with the inflamation pain. It was almost as painful as the rupture itself. Its so weird. I am favoring the side with the incisions, my left side over the side they gassed. I wasn't expecting that.

At least I have an excuse to lay in bed and watch movies for a bit lol.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby radkitten » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 am

Yeah, they did the same with mine and my HCG was back to 0 within a few days. I think AF might end up being normal, because while your body does produce the HCG, etc, when it doesn't implant in the uterus the tissue doesn't react like it does with a normal pregnancy. At least that was how my RE & OB explained it to me. One of the ways they ruled out miscarriage with me was with an endometrial biopsy. They sampled the lining and it didn't have any signs of pregnancy in it, despite my positive and slow creeping HCG.

I took about a week off from work, and when I went back it was still hard, but I have a desk job so that helped me in relaxing. Take care of yourself.
DH (33) - Normal
Married - 09/09/09

5-17-13 - D&C and ectopic pregnancy removal at 5w5d. Lost left fallopian tube. Right ovarian cyst removed.

Aug 2013 - 1st clomid cycle (50mg CD3-7). 5 follies, missed ovulation, timed intercourse. BFN
Feb 2014 - 5mg Femara CD3-7 - Cyst on left ovary, 18mm follie right ovary! Trigger 2/20, IUI 2/22 BFN

radkitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Good to know. I have a mostly desk job too so that should help. Not sure I can take more than a week off.

Thx again.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shellsbellsxx » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:44 pm

omg i'm so sorry to read this :cry:

i had my lap in august and the pain was worse than i ever thought it would be. Recovery for me was 3 weeks - only due to infection! after 5 days i was more able to move around - my advice would be to keep the wound covered for as long as possible, changing the dressings obviously. i found when walking around without the dressings on the skin moved so much it hurt so bad! But with dressings on it kind of kept everything 'still'. Sleeping on your back is about the only way possible.

Again i'm so sorry for your loss xx
Me:37 DH:43
LTTTC #1 for 13 years
(16.10.12)... Diagnosis - 'Unexplained Infertility'
:doh:
Short 22/23 day cycles, LPD- 10days
23rd September 2013 - BFP - MC 5wks 2 dys 1st Oct '13

6th May '14 6th and final clomid cycle 2-6 50mg - :bfp: (8/9dpo)

7th July '14 - ultrasound #1 @ 9+1 - TWINS! 2 beating hearts :hb: 9+3 :hb: 8+6
31st July '14 - ultrasound #2 @12+4 - 2 beating hearts and bouncing babies 13+4 :hb: & 13+2 :hb: measuring a week ahead!
19th Sept '14 - 20+5 Baby A :future baby boy: & Baby B :future baby boy: - All looks perfect!

14th January 2015 my Babies were born - Samuel Stuart 6lb 5oz and Oliver Michael 5lb 2oz

shellsbellsxx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks Shells. I was reading up and realized there is laparoscopy and laparotomy. I think mine was just the laparoscopy. They were worried about having to cut me open all the way but ended up being able to just use the probes. Im thankful that its about one or two weeks vs six for recovery.

I am sorry yours got infected. I can't imagine how painful that must have been. I am nervous about changing the dressings. They sent me home and the incisions were covered in that tape stuff they stick over the IVs. Its hard to get off and I am scared to expose the sites. I know I have to today before my shower though. Thinking I will wait for my next T3 dose then brave it out.

I miss sleeping on my side but I don't dare. The drs were a bit puzzled I wasn't in more agony at the hospital and it hurt like a bag at home but I almost waited it out because I didn't want to bother anyone if it was just muscle pain, but when it comes to cuts I am a wimp lol.

I hope you are doing ok Shells. Haven't talked to you in a bit. Glad to see you are still around. I have been thinking of you.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shellsbellsxx » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:35 am

yeah it's a good idea to take painkillers before you try removing dressings the bruising underneath can be really sore to. I had pad like dressings over mine so the sticky bits were not too close to the stitches thankfully. I'm sure by now you've done the dressing change, hope it was not too bad x

I'm lurking around... my cycle went back to normal after 4 days of bleeding, so i'm a day or 2 off where i would normally have been so we decided to just try again straight away and hope we get lucky. I now have clomid after my FS appointment this week - they really didn't want me to have it but i put my foot down! so hopefully it won't take so long to catch again x

A friend of mine had a ruptured ectopic for nearly 2 weeks... was bleeding out and hours from death ... and wasn't in any real pain! People's bodies react differently to things and nothing should be taken lightly x
Me:37 DH:43
LTTTC #1 for 13 years
(16.10.12)... Diagnosis - 'Unexplained Infertility'
:doh:
Short 22/23 day cycles, LPD- 10days
23rd September 2013 - BFP - MC 5wks 2 dys 1st Oct '13

6th May '14 6th and final clomid cycle 2-6 50mg - :bfp: (8/9dpo)

7th July '14 - ultrasound #1 @ 9+1 - TWINS! 2 beating hearts :hb: 9+3 :hb: 8+6
31st July '14 - ultrasound #2 @12+4 - 2 beating hearts and bouncing babies 13+4 :hb: & 13+2 :hb: measuring a week ahead!
19th Sept '14 - 20+5 Baby A :future baby boy: & Baby B :future baby boy: - All looks perfect!

14th January 2015 my Babies were born - Samuel Stuart 6lb 5oz and Oliver Michael 5lb 2oz

shellsbellsxx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:09 am

So I did the dressing change and it was fine. The sticky things hurt like a bag to get off becausenthey ripped out those tiny belly hairs lol. I had a tiny bit of stinging but it was all pretty good.

I am spotting a tiny bit here and there but they suctioned a lot of blood out of my abdomen so its just a little left over I think.

I am actually felling pretty well except for the bloating. The pharmacist warned me and kind of freaked me out. He told me to take stool softeners so I don't rip my stitches with the bloat. Umm ya, thanks for that nice image.

I was thinking of getting some tests so I could see when my hcg was gone then I thought better of it. I don't really want to know, or see that. It will come when it comes.

I am feeling generally pretty decent even though I am still on the meds. I walked around for a few hours yesterday while on the phone. My sister and I had a good talk about infertility, loss and all that crap we go through. It was so nice to hear her talk about it and to be able to say I understand. I think I might do some lit housework today like folding laundry. I love it when DH throws all the warm towels over my feet in bed haha. Then we fold and watch movies.

Shells I am glad that you could try again right away. I hope the clomid helps. Good for you for putting your foot down. You gotta try something right? My sister and I talked about me seeing an RE but I told her I still think it's too early considering our situation and how many cycles it actually took. She said it could take 6 months to even get in to see them. I was shocked to find this out.

It's so helpful to have people who know what I am going through because this is so new and strange for me. It turns out both my sisters have had laps. One for gallbladder removal (but she doesn't share much) and other had 2 for endo and other fertility issues.

Wow, 2 weeks! How the heck did she survive? My mom said her cousin went 2 days trying to convince the drs something was wrong but they kept sending her home. When I called and said pain and bleeding they immediately said 'ER!'. The ER staff actually got in trouble because they were supposed to keep me in triage (it was empty so I didn't wait: new hospital), but they admitted me right away without actually confirming the pregnancy. I didn't care as long as I had a place to sit. All the people who came to see me told me how they were pulled to treat me because I was a 'stat'. I guess they freak out a little if they think you are bleeding internally lol. After they confirmed the ectopic they said, up to hrs for surgery, but I didn't even have a chance to finish my text to my mom to tell her hubby would update her before the entire medical staff came rushing into my room (that was a tad overwhelming).

I am so relieved your friend is ok. It is strange, because after my tube ruptured my pain gradually went away. My shoulder started to get sore before the surgery from all the blood in my abdomen but otherwise it was ok. The dr was very perplexed. I told them, if I hadn't gotten the blood gush at home I would never have come in. I really thought it was just a pulled muscle. It really hurt but it was so much higher up than I expected and it wasn't excrutiating. Weird how our bodies are. I remember thinking, if a pulled muscle hurts this much I'll be a huge wimp during labour.

Anyways, thanks for letting me ramble. I feel like if I keep talking about it I won't focus too much on the loss part yet. I want to cry but I don't think DH is ready to be upset and if I lose it he might too. He thanked me for being so strong and taking it so well (and not getting upset). He plays the tough guy but I think hes hurting and trying to push it away. I really hope he will cry with me after. He wouldn't even get upset when his mom died 7 months ago, but I hate to think he is holding it in. And he hates seeing people in pain. We are similar that way.

Ok I am rambling again lol.

Anways, Shells I am glad to hear you are doing ok and trying again. I thought about you a lot. Maybe it's weird but I felt like now there's 2 of us in the angels section of June so we don't look lonely listed there :)
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:10 am

Holy crap that was the longest post ever lol. Sorry, I think I'm getting really bored in bed and have oo much time to think lol.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby radkitten » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:18 am

Thats crazy they used sutures for your lap. They had warned me as well that my laparoscopy could turn into a laparotomy because I also had a large cyst on my right ovary that had to be drained and excised and they were worried they wouldn't be able to get it out through the laparoscopy. But they did. They closed the 3 holes for the probes with wound glue on me. I also forgot about the bruising. I had some pretty crazy bruising around the little holes as well. I actually took pictures because it was so crazy looking. Those spots were sore off and on for quite a while. The one right above my belly button is the only one that still looks off, even now.

And the bloating, oh man =(. I wore yoga pants for the first 10 days because of the bloating. The stool softner is also a good idea. I got really really constipated from the surgery and pregnancy hormones and just blah. That is honestly the worst feeling when you're already super bloated and sore :(.
DH (33) - Normal
Married - 09/09/09

radkitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby radkitten » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:21 am

Also, it took me a while, and my husband basically shaking me one day to make me realize how serious the ectopic really is. That it could have killed me and that it was life threatening. I still have a hard time looking at it like that. It just didn't seem serious I guess? But I know as hard as it was to lose that baby, that surgery saved my life.
DH (33) - Normal
Married - 09/09/09

radkitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:54 am

Rad you are right. I still have a hard time seeing it as life threatening. I am feeling much better today and this whole thing is still so surreal. I was only just starting to accept that I was pg. Just the day before I booked my first scan. I waited as long as possible in case something might happen.

I was having bloat issues before so I went and biught some maternity yoga oants. Best thing I ever did. I can fold them up over my belly so it feels nice and protected. I think I have glue and stitches. My belly button looks glued but they did mention the stitches dissolving and I thought I saw thread poking on one. The pharmacist gave me some dulco-something red pills to take once a day to help with the bloat/constipation. My mom said it could take 3 days or so to go to the bathroom after and honestly I am a bit nervous, but it will have to happen.

My sister is a nurse, so we were laughing because my IV site will be more bruised than my incisions. The nurse I had, had to poke me 3 times to get the IV in but hit a valve on the first try (that hurt like crap). By the time she got the IV in I looked at my hand and almost passed out at how swollen it was. The skin was raised about an inch and it was all full of blood. It doesn't hurt now but its a decent bruise.

So it looks like I am bleeding now. I told DH I dont have cramps, then I realized I am still on T3's and ibuprofen haha. I think it's probably my lining. Is there any way to know for sure if it's my lining or from the surgery?

Maybe I should skip my next dose of meds to see if I am cramping. I feel pretty good and I ammoving around so much better than yesterday.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:40 am

You know Rad I don't think I told you that I am sorry for your loss too. I know you have been trying for such a long time it must have been devastating. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby radkitten » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:19 am

The bleeding is probably AF coming on. I don't think your cramping should be any worse then usual since your uterus doesn't think you're pregnant, if that makes sense?

And I know what you mean about the bruising and what not. I had blown veins in both of my arms from my repeat beta's. Over a 10 days period I had around 30 vials of blood taken for beta's/testing, an endometrial biopsy, and about 12 intrauterine ultrasounds. It was really overwhelming.

And it does take a while to realize what happened to you. But it did save your life. Thats the one thing I hold on to is that the baby couldn't have survived no matter what.

And thank you. I share because it helps me, and I know how alone and isolated I felt during mine. Miscarriage is at least common enough that there seems to be more support for it, where as ectopic no one really knows what that means. It's hard =(.
DH (33) - Normal
Married - 09/09/09

radkitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Miscarriage, Ectopic, and Pregnancy Loss Support