D&C or Natual Miscarriage?

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

D&C or Natual Miscarriage?

Postby Kandii » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi ladies, I am looking for some personal experiences with either a D&C or natural miscarriage.
I found out Thursday I have a blighted ovum, but emotionally my DH and I have started going through the motions. But physically the miscarriage hasn't taken place.
I am not sure whether I want to wait for a natural miscarriage to occur or if I should have a D&C done.
Hoping some ladies with experience with either or both will help me make a more informed decision. Thanks
~*TTC since October 2013*~
BFP Dec 29, 2013 / Blighted Ovum Jan 23, 2014 (8w5d) / MC Feb 5, 2014 (10w4d)
Got my rainbow BFP July 19th, 2014!
DS born March 24th, 2015

~*TTC #2* shhh :shh: it's a secret!~
Kandii
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: D&C or Natual Miscarriage?

Postby CaroL31 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:16 pm

I am so so sorry for your loss. I had a m/c in November 2013 at 10w6d. Although I didn't know really anything about the process since this was my first pregnancy. I had light spotting on Monday and went to the hospital, thinking it was nothing. The Dr. told us there was no heartbeat and scheduled us to come in for further testing the next afternoon. We were devastated. He did not tell us anything about what we could expect or what would need to happen next. The very next morning, the bleeding increased and I will tell you that what happened on Tuesday was very difficult to experience. The bleeding was uncontrollable. I couldn't even stand without soaking through a pad, my pants etc. My husband had to put towels on the car seat to get me to the hospital. There was a lot of tissue passing as well. It was very hard physically and emotionally. I would get what felt like contractions and then I would experience a huge gush of blood and tissue. They were changing my hospital bed pads every 15 mins. I am so sorry if this is tmi but I feel like I wish I would have known what was going to happen. I really had no idea. The Dr. did a manual clot removal and this helped the bleeding significantly. But it was still heartbreaking to see the physically evidence of the miscarriage. I can't help but wonder if a D&C would have been easier emotionally since you aren't forced to see everything happening. I'm still not sure what my decision would have been after having been through my experience. I guess for me and DH, it was part of the grieving process and having been through it together (he never left my side through all of it) and I know we are stronger for having gone through this.
I know your heart is breaking but you will get through this. Take it one day at a time. It will get easier, I promise.
Carolyn (Me! 31) DH (39)
BFP on Sept 27 2013
Lost at 10w6d on Nov 25 2013
BFP!! April 5 2014
CaroL31
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Kandii » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have been sitting in limbo waiting for this miscarriage to happen naturally for 8 days now. So far nothing more then spotting. My doctor told me I have to get some blood work tomorrow to see if my hcg levels will drop.

If they do - then the miscarriage will happen naturally
If they don't - then second ultrasound and possible D&C

I am just tired of waiting. My DH seems to be moving on and healing and I'm stuck. I see blood every day, every time I have to go pee. Just a constant reminder. It's completely frustrating.
DS born March 24th, 2015

Kandii
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby CaroL31 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:34 am

I can't imagine having to wait for it to happen so my thoughts are with you. My DH was the same, after a few days he started to move on and I was still so desperate to hang on to the baby we lost. I was so emotional and mad at the world and although he was trying to be supportive, he just didn't get it. He wasn't feeling what I was feeling. I guess part of that is because the baby was growing inside of my body, not his. It's natural for you both to deal with this tragedy in different ways. From what I can see, every woman has a different experience with m/c. I hope it happens soon so you can start to heal. Take care
Carolyn (Me! 31) DH (39)
BFP on Sept 27 2013
BFP!! April 5 2014
CaroL31
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby smalln35 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:39 am

I would have to say natural deff! I have had 2 miscarriages both very diff. The first I had to have methotrexate shot and everything was horrible. Didnt get preggo again for another year. Second miscarriage I had naturally. I didnt bleed for almost a month. Baby stopped growing at 6 weeks but wasnt till about 10 weeks that I started bleeding and bled off and on for a while. I got preggo again right away never had a period. It was almost as if miscarriage was my period-and I say this for timing reasons only- because I ovulated 2 weeks later then was preggo. Never had a period so had to have a dating ultrasound o confirm everything. Aislinn is 7 months old today and perfetly happy and healthy. If you can try to do it naturally. You will not have to wait to recover-at least body wise-mental is diff- and you can start trying again right away!
smalln35

Postby smalln35 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:48 am

Please remember that a miscarriage is hard especially for a woman because you have to be the one to experience it but honestly trying again really helps take your mind off things.

A few things that helped me through both...

1. The miscarriage most likely meant the baby was not healthy, I know its hard to think about that but its your body's way of saying that wasn't right.

2. You got pregnant once, you will get pregnant again. I have two miscarriages and 2 babies. Sometimes your body needs a jump start. If you got preggo once it will probably happen again and soon.

3. The best time to get preggo is right after a miscarriage and pregnancy. Keep trying like animals because its a good time to do it. If you can ignore the blood then its a great time to get preggo again.

4. Miscarriages are normal- terrible to think about but they are. It doesnt mean anything is wrong with you.

5. Getting preggo again will help ease the pain. Just because you are trying to get preggo again doesnt mean your forgetting about the first. I still think about my miscarriages but then I look at my babies and I am so glad that my two are very happy and healthy.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know. My two miscarriages were very different so I like to think I have some good advice.
smalln35

Postby smalln35 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:54 am

Lol sorry one more thing...

Dont let the doctor dictate what you want. My levels were not dropping right away but I knew I was not having and ectopic so I decided to wait it out. Already had a doc interfere with my first miscarriage and look what happened. After getting my shot I didnt get preggo for a year then finally got clomid and I got lucky.

Eventually my levels did start dropping and everything was fine after that. It took me about 6 weeks to miscarry from the time the baby died till I was done. Still got preggo again though. I really think its because I let it go naturally no interference of any kind.
smalln35

Postby Kandii » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:31 pm

So this original post is a bit old.

A lot has changed since that post. I was not given then option of D&C at all. I was given misoprostol and it worked well for me.

Today the bleeding from the MC has stopped. I was advised to wait until after first AF to TTC again but I have a lot of conflicting information about it.
DS born March 24th, 2015

Kandii
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby smalln35 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:37 pm

I didn't wait and my 7 month old is staring at me right now smiling. If you are ready then go for it!
smalln35

Postby NewMrsB » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:01 am

Hi everyone

I had my 12 week scan today and they found out my baby died at 7 + 3 and diagnosed a missed miscarriage. I decided to wait for things to happen naturally but it's been dead for 5 weeks and I haven't felt anything, no blood yet, nothing.

Just wondering whether there are any natural remedies that can help the process?

This is heartbreaking so my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who has had to go through this :(
Me: 34
DH: 36
BFP 17.01.2014 after nearly 4 years of TTC#1
6 cycles of clomid - all BFN
Got pregnant the cycle before IVF
MMC 18.03.14 had 12 week scan, baby died at 7+3
Medical management - miscarried 8.4.14
NewMrsB
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby 80's Baby » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:45 pm

Newmrsb, I'm so sorry you're going through this. My doc diagnosed me with a missed miscarriage last week. I should have been 9 weeks, but the babies only measured 6+5. He's REALLY pushing a d&c, but I want to try cytotec. I'm getting a second opinion tomorrow from a high risk perinatalogist. Same thing, no bleeding and no cramping. I'm not expecting a miracle, but I don't want an invasive procedure. I've heard of women using vitamin c in large doses to help things along, but I don't know if it works.
Me- 29
DH- 28
DD- 11/2007
DD- 02/2012

TTC since March 2013 - Dr. found 2nd degree uterine prolapse
July, 2013 - :angel:

BFP - January, 29 @ 9 DPO
Twins :angel: :angel: - missed miscarriage - D&E@ 10 weeks

August 19 - bfp @ 9 DPO! TWINS!
October 1st - Baby A - :angel: Baby B - Heartrate 162
November 24th - It's a girl!

80's Baby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby CaroL31 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:17 pm

NewmrsB - I am so so sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through since I experienced my own loss in November. It's heartbreaking. But I promise you the empty feeling, the heart break will lessen each day. You will get through this.

Take care of yourself. :(
Carolyn (Me! 31) DH (39)
BFP on Sept 27 2013
BFP!! April 5 2014
CaroL31
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to Miscarriage, Ectopic, and Pregnancy Loss Support