MMC and chemical pregnancy back to back

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

MMC and chemical pregnancy back to back

Postby mrsmedic » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 am

First time posting although this site has been a wonderful help throughout this TTC process. A little background info 26 year old female 32 year old husband TTC #1 but that darn sticky bean just won't stick! I currently work as a paramedic in a busy system and my husband is a chef both of us are on vitamins, and consider ourselves very healthy, BC was an IUD which I loved and had removed in Nov of 2013 was told by my ob/gyn I can start TTC whenever I wanted to which was awesome! Dec 3, 2013 BFP! yay we were so excited everything was going well first u/s at 8 weeks showed a great heart rate, tech and MD were very pleased and scheduled a standard follow up for 12 weeks for a CRL. About 4 days after the u/s started spotting tan and only occasionally, obviously I freaked out and called the on-call MD who was not concerned at all and said take it easy tonight! you've been working a lot and its probably from some stretching since this is your first pregnancy. Took her word for it and went about my weekend. About 5 days later the spotting was still there and I figured since my MD was aware if there was a concern she would have called me, on Wed of the following week there was a few spots of dark brown but nothing requiring a liner so I called my MD and asked again if I should be concerned. I was at work and a wreck but she said no, just come in tomorrow for a scan to ease your mind. Everyone I asked had said don't worry brown is good! red is bad! even my MD.

Went for the scan first thing the next morning and my poor u/s tech was in tears, I knew what had happened but she couldn't get the words out, maybe because I was too calm she thought I would breakdown, maybe because I was watching the screen and told her I couldn’t see a HB, I don’t know. She finished the scan handed me a box of tissues and told me to call my husband since I kept talking about how upset he would be and how he couldn’t leave work to go to this appointment. Then the tears happened long and short I was supposed to be 10w5d baby only measured 8w2d hb stopped the day of the u/s it looked like. Sac never grew and only measured 6w0d, the second u/s tech was confused I wasn't told of the discrepancy by either the first tech or MD. Took the Misoprostyl (Cytotec) ugh two days of misery but was happy to be back on the TTC boat!

Got another BFP 3/16/14 very faint but there, 3/17, 3/18, they got a smudge darker then 3/19 again faint with the brown spotting started ultra light tan then got a little darker by 3/19 at night (yesterday) the heavy bleeding started and i'm back to square one.

Im frustrated and looking for any words of support or encouragement. I feel terrible i've put my husband through this a second time and I don’t even want to tell him if it happens again. He gets excited for a day or two maybe even a few weeks and BAM! nothing. Thanks ladies for letting me vent, you guys rock! Good luck to those of you who have gotten your BFP!, good luck to those TTC! fingers crossed for you TWWers.
mrsmedic
Friend

Re: MMC and chemical pregnancy back to back

Postby BichonFrise » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 pm

I had 3 BPFS back to back (only 1 AF cycle in between).

The first MC happened on Oct 15, 2013. I was 7 weeks at the time. Then the 2nd BFP came in Dec. Like you, my line never got darker and ended up with chemical/early MC at 5 weeks. Then I got pregnant again and now *knock on the wood*, I am 9.5 weeks (just got back from my u/s with healthy bean). Obviously, I'm not out of the wood yet.

Regarding the chemical after the MC, my reasoning is that I think simply your body might not be ready for it yet. Not to mention, chemical is very common. According to this http://pregnancyloss.info/statistics/, failure rate for 1 - 2 week gestation is 75%, we are simply just part of the statistics since we test early.

When I had my chemical, I bleed a lot (which makes me thinking that I had still a left over tissue from my previous MC and hence my baby couldn't stay implanted). I hope the 3rd time is the charm for you. I know how frustrating and stressful this can be, hang in there.
Me (39) DH (41)

TTC #1 since June 2013. Married for 10 years.

BFP #1: 10/01/2013 MC: 10/15/2013 (7 weeks)
BFP #2: 12/24/2013 MC: 01/01/2014 (5 weeks 1 day)
BFP #3: 02/08/2014 Ethan was born 6 lbs 9 Oz on Oct 17th, 2014.

TTC #2 since November 2015

My Ovulation Chart
BichonFrise
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsmedic » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:46 am

Happy to hear your bean stuck! and 9.5 weeks with a helthy u/s! With the next cycle TTC I am going to try not to test until after AF is over a week late, not sure how successful I will be waiting that long to test but maybe I won't get so excited over a faint positive and then scrutinize every since line and shadow on the darn test. Thank for the reply many positive thoughts headed your way, happy and healthy 9 months dear!
mrsmedic
Friend

Postby Kandii » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:45 pm

Welcome to the boards, and I am sorry to hear of your losses.

My very first (and only) pregnancy ended is miscarriage. I started spotting around 8w3d and was diagnosed with a blighted ovum on 8w5d. The miscarriage was refusing to progress naturally so I also used Misoprostol at 10w4d. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't fun either.
I am now 42 days post using the pills and still no AF, hcg still above 5 and completely frustrated.
I'm expecting to have to wait another 4-6 weeks before I see my first AF post-MC.

I'm glad to have these boards, to talk to people who understand.

I really hope you get your sticky bean soon!
~*TTC since October 2013*~
BFP Dec 29, 2013 / Blighted Ovum Jan 23, 2014 (8w5d) / MC Feb 5, 2014 (10w4d)
Got my rainbow BFP July 19th, 2014!
DS born March 24th, 2015

~*TTC #2* shhh :shh: it's a secret!~
Kandii
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsmedic » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:41 am

Hi Kandii! the wait for AF after the pills was not fun! I'm very lucky my doctor didn't sugar coat the pills, the wait or how everything works and feels. If I took them and was only told "its just like a bad period" I think I may have ended up in the ER! I got my period 5 weeks after almost to the day. They didnt do blood tests to see if my HCG was dropping they actually told me to buy cheapie PG tests to do every week until the line is absent. Waiting for the line to go away seemed to bug me a bit until I realised it was necessary to get back on track! My first two and only two pregnancies have not been successful but i'm confident i'll get my chance! You will too! Hoping Af comes quick for you, and its going to be like the Misoprostyl light version btw if you're anything like me after the pills. Not as much cramping and pain but much heavier than usual and an extra day and a half of bleeding.

Good luck! fingers crossed for you!
mrsmedic
Friend

Postby Kandii » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:48 pm

I wish they didn't sugar coat it for me. I was quite resistant to using the pills at first, but they basically told me its the pills or natural cause they wouldn't do a D&C at all.
I wish they would have told me it would take this long to get moving forward. Cause I kept hearing 4-6 weeks for first AF, they forgot to specify 4-6 week AFTER hcg was below 5 and that getting an hcg below 5 could take 4 weeks AFTER using the pills. AKA the whole process would be a minimum of 8 weeks.
Not exactly forthcoming from my perspective but hey? What can ya do.

Are you trying again ASAP once the body is ready to go?
~*TTC since October 2013*~
BFP Dec 29, 2013 / Blighted Ovum Jan 23, 2014 (8w5d) / MC Feb 5, 2014 (10w4d)
Got my rainbow BFP July 19th, 2014!
DS born March 24th, 2015

~*TTC #2* shhh :shh: it's a secret!~
Kandii
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:43 am

Sorry for your loss mrsmedic.

I had a 7 week loss due to rupture ectopic and 2 cycles after I had a chemical.

I am relieved to know it can still happen quickly but a little sad I haven't gotten a sticky yet. It has only been 2 cycles since my CP.

I also started wondering if I should hide it from my DH until I know it will stick, but then I realized he would want to know. He has been with me through all of this and I would want his support if it happened again.

He has been acutely aware of the chances of loss with both bfps and was very hesitant to get excited on either of them. I am a little sad the ability to get excited has been taken away from him but I am glad to not do this alone. The times when I hurt the most he is always there with me.

I also would go crazy if not for this site.

Fx you get your sticky bean soon.
Me - 36
Hashimotos, JHS/EDS, ANA negative, 1 Fallopian tube
DH - 41
TTC #1 Aug 2012 - May 2014
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016
May 2017 :bfp:

:angel: Our Angels :angel:
2004 - 7.5 weeks
Oct 2013 - 6w6d ruptured ectopic
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsmedic » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:56 am

B Michaelson, Im right there with you with being on the fence about telling the hubby or not. Unfortunatly, he also has had a lot of bad news about his mom and sister between the MMC and CP. Between his moms chemo appointments and his sisters tests to rule out neuro problems I feel like the guy cant catch a break! He has been amazing and i've resolved to wait a week after the next BFP then tell him, he always has gone to appointments with me and I wont take that away because seeing his face when we saw a heartbeat was amazing and he still has the US in his car (put away but there when he wants to see it). I'm dreading the next BFP, and I dont think i'll ever be able to become as excited as I was the first time, I feel crazy thinking "next time I dont want to think about anything no nursery colors, no names, nothing until its halfway or more through the pregnancy" I also feel that my aprehension about the BFP is taking away from his excitement. Not sure what to do yet but if I come up with any reasonable ideas i'll make sure to pass them on to you! Im happy to hear he is so supportive of you, it really does make it a little easier! I wish mine would stop saying "it happened for a reason everything will be fine next time" I know he dosent know of anything else to say but dosent want to keep silent about it either. Good luck! happy thoughts your way for your STICKY BEAN!
mrsmedic
Friend

Postby B Michaelson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:14 pm

I so feel you. I think rather than be excited we will both be petrified the next time. It's too bad we miss out on that. I imagined having a family would go much differently than it has.

My DH doean't really talk about it. After I got out of surgery and was recovering at home he thanked me for handling it so well and bot falling apart. Little did he know it was a slow unravel, but I think maybe he was afraid if I fell apart he would too. I think he avoids it because it hurts and he is never good with that type of thing. When his mom passed away he didn't cry and also doesn't talk about it much.

It's sad to me that we have to be this way. It should be easier and a hoyful thing. It has become a burden for so many people I know.

I'm sorry to hear your DH is going through so much with his family. That's tough. I hope things turn around for you both soon.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BichonFrise » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:26 am

Hi again,

Pregnant after loss is such a tricky thing. The M/C leaves a deep scar for many of us. I was surprised on how apprehensive I've been in this pregnancy. We are no longer naive. We are fully aware that the risk of MC is real, not something that "oh it happens to anyone else but me".

Dh is the same way. I'm 11 weeks now and we can't bring ourselves to talk about the future yet. When he found me looking at nursery room in pinterest, he gently said that it might be too early. Today is actually the first day when I finally feel happier and truly hopeful/excited. Before that, unfortunately the MC has robbed us the ability to be free, light, and happy. But...the anxiety will lessen for sure and when you cross that bridge, you will be smiling again. B, I am rooting so hard for you. I hope this cycle is yours!
Me (39) DH (41)

TTC #1 since June 2013. Married for 10 years.

BFP #1: 10/01/2013 MC: 10/15/2013 (7 weeks)
BFP #2: 12/24/2013 MC: 01/01/2014 (5 weeks 1 day)
BFP #3: 02/08/2014 Ethan was born 6 lbs 9 Oz on Oct 17th, 2014.

TTC #2 since November 2015

My Ovulation Chart
BichonFrise
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby B Michaelson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Oh Bichon, I know that feeling. I haven't been there fully but with my cp we just waited it out in silence. I will never breathe a full breath after a bfp again. It is sad how it robs you of that excitement and anticipation but I like to think it makes us stronger and more appreciative.

The fact that you made it this far is wonderful and very good news. I have hope this is your take-home baby and can't wait to hear the day you bring him/her home.

Thx for thinking of me. I am sure it will happen soon it just feels an eternity away. Some months are easier than others. For some reason I have really been missing LO this time.
Me - 36
DH - 41
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016

2004 - 7.5 weeks
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson