Please help me - am I miscarrying?

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Please help me - am I miscarrying?

Postby Ansypansy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi ladies,

I am going out of my mind with worry and Im just hoping someone here can shed some light on what is happening to me.

I am 7+3. So far, everything has been normal. I had an US last week at 6+3 and was told that all was ok. We saw the heartbeat and although the embryo was measuring 5-6 weeks (not 6-7), was advised that this was normal range for so early on and it would catch up by my 12 week dating scan. I had 3 consecutive HCG blood tests done prior to that and came back in the normal range as well.

Last night, I started with cramping in my uterus and lower back. It was bad enough for me to call the Hospital. They advised that it could be perfectly normal and as there was no bleeding they weren't overly concerned. To my despair, at 3am this morning I was woken by 'trickling' coming out of me. Sorry if this is graphic.... I went back to sleep and then it happened again at 5am and this time I was in a lot of pain, cramps in uterus and back. The spotting/bleeding started off as brown and progressively has turned red throughout today. It hasn't been 'heavy' like soaking pads, in fact, I haven't even filled a pad all day. The liquid residue on the pad is brown. However, I've been going to the toilet (every 30 mins to an hour) and wiping to see red stains every time on the tissue. About a teaspoon full each time. The blood has also been dripping into the toilet when I sit, but only lightly. The pain has been on/off all day. So far, I have had no blood clots or tissues or anything that resembles a full MC.

I saw my Doctor this morning who told me I was most likely miscarrying. I am booked in for an US Monday. I just don't understand why I haven't passed any tissues or blood clots and why it isn't really heavy bleeding?? Can anyone give an opinion on this or has anyone suffered this and had a successful pregnancy?

I had a missed miscarriage 4 months ago and a D&C at 8 weeks. The embryo died at 5 weeks and never developed a heartbeat. This was detected on an US.

Deep down, I do believe this is a MC as the bleeding (even though light) hasn't stopped all day and I am in pain, but I am holding onto hope as I haven't actually 'passed' anything yet and its been 16 hours since it started.

Please help x
Ansypansy
Friend

Re: Please help me - am I miscarrying?

Postby BichonFrise » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:52 pm

This sounded like my first miscarriage (also around 7 weeks). I wished I could tell you differently.
In my first M/C, I started with brown spotting and me wiping continuously (didn't fill up the panty liner).

Spotting is common in early pregnancy but spotting + cramp is typically not a good sign, especially the stabbing pain cramp (not the light, your uterus expanding like cramp). In my case, the cramp came a few hours later. I didn't expel any clots or tissues on that day, just cramping, spotting mixture of brown and later red blood. By the time I made it to the obgyn office, my bleeding had stopped so I had high hope that the baby would survive but my Obgyn confirming that I was in the process of miscarrying.

A couple of days later, I passed the clots and started a full blown bleeding that was like heavy period for 7 days.

However, there is still other possibility. I hope this is not the case for you.
Me (39) DH (41)

TTC #1 since June 2013. Married for 10 years.

BFP #1: 10/01/2013 MC: 10/15/2013 (7 weeks)
BFP #2: 12/24/2013 MC: 01/01/2014 (5 weeks 1 day)
BFP #3: 02/08/2014 Ethan was born 6 lbs 9 Oz on Oct 17th, 2014.

TTC #2 since November 2015

My Ovulation Chart
BichonFrise
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kandii » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:55 pm

I had a fairly similar experience.

I started spotting and the blood was brownish. I called my doc who decided to do hcg. My hcg levels were not doubling. In fact they were stay level at around 8800. I was scheduled for an u/s and was diagnosed with a blighted ovum.
After 2 weeks of brown spotting my doc sent me in for Misoprostol.

I never really had cramping through out my experience. But I've been told "brown" blood is "old" blood and nothing to be worried about where as "red" blood is "new" blood and is not a good sign. Usually means tissue pulling away from the uterus.

Combined with the cramping I would agree with your doc that this is a miscarriage.

I really wish you all best. Miscarriages suck. I'm still stuck in limbo with mine.
~*TTC since October 2013*~
BFP Dec 29, 2013 / Blighted Ovum Jan 23, 2014 (8w5d) / MC Feb 5, 2014 (10w4d)
Got my rainbow BFP July 19th, 2014!
DS born March 24th, 2015

~*TTC #2* shhh :shh: it's a secret!~
Kandii
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby trying2beehopeful » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:46 pm

I know how you feel, I'm in the same boat, well... kind of.

I have been spotting brown for about 2 weeks (only when I wipe). This morning I had red blood (two wipes full), no clotting, it had some mucus mixed in it. I haven't had any red blood since, I did have some brown this afternoon. I'm not experiencing any cramping but I really believe that I'm miscarrying. :cry:

I'm currently in the process of obtaining new health insurance, I'm kind of in limbo with the transition, so I currently DON'T have health insurance. I haven't seen a doctor, and that has been very difficult. I don't have anyone to call on, I don't know what my HCG levels are or were, I don't know if there's a heartbeat (or if there ever was one), I don't know what's going on.

DH wanted to take me to the ER this morning but... what can they really do anyway, he said "It will give you peace of mind". He's thinks because I don't have cramping, and because red blood isn't pouring out of me, that I'm fine, that "spotting is normal in the first trimester" :|

I've had 6 positive HPTs. I'm 6 weeks and 2 days according to the first day of my last AF. This was my first pregnancy. I'm heartbroken. I hoping to be insured by next week, it's been like pulling teeth getting information from my soon to be healthcare provider. It's terrifying NOT knowing anything! Feeling so lost.
trying2beehopeful
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby BichonFrise » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:16 pm

Trying2beehopeful,

I am so sorry you are in limbo. What state do you live right now?

If you are up to it, you can go to order blood test online from website like walkin lab. My DH did it the other day and the result was very fast (he has insurance but we were in hurry to check his blood test and couldn't wait for him to see his primary care or next physical).

http://www.walkinlab.com/women-s-wellne ... mtest.html

If you live in the state that allow this, each test costs $41. If you look around, you might find 5 - 15 % off coupon code (so could get it cheaper). You can take HCG qualitative test twice (with 48 hours in between) and see if your HCG is doubling every 48 hours as appropriate. Of couse, ideally, you should do this with dr supervision but since you are in limbo, this might give you answer. Hope the insurance issue will get sorted out soon.
Me (39) DH (41)

My Ovulation Chart
BichonFrise
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby trying2beehopeful » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:59 pm

Bichonfrise

Thank you for the link! I live in California. Definitely going to look into it.

DH is insisting we go to the ER but I can't even imagine what they're going to charge us for that, he says, whatever it is it's worth it. I'm trying to wait it out but I'm loosing my mind! I've been in the dark for weeks now. I'm emotionally exhausted.

Thank you for the response and support. I really appreciate it.
trying2beehopeful
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Kandii » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:38 am

Trying I am sorry you have to go through that. I live in Canada so I don't have those financial barriers to healthcare. I couldn't imagine adding those to an already stressful situation.
I started spotting brown before I miscarried. It never went to red. Had to use cytotec in order to fully miscarry cause my body still thought it was pregnant. I had what they called a Blighted Ovum. So the placenta and everything keeps growing even though there was no baby inside the sac.
I started spotting at 8w5d and miscarried at 10w4d. It was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever experienced. I am now 61 days passed using the cytotec and it has gotten a bit easier. But somedays are worse then others.
You will get passed this and I have my FX for you that it's not a miscarriage.
~*TTC since October 2013*~
BFP Dec 29, 2013 / Blighted Ovum Jan 23, 2014 (8w5d) / MC Feb 5, 2014 (10w4d)
Got my rainbow BFP July 19th, 2014!
DS born March 24th, 2015

~*TTC #2* shhh :shh: it's a secret!~
Kandii
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BichonFrise » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 am

Ok, in that case, go for beta. $80 is still a lot better than paying thousands. Also, I live in CA also. There are a lot of places that offer private scan, obviously, they don't usually do diagnostic but this is something that you can do depending on your beta result. The price is not too bad for private scan, nothing compared to what ER charges.
Me (39) DH (41)

My Ovulation Chart
BichonFrise
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby trying2beehopeful » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Update:

So after too many sleepless nights, I couldn't take it anymore. I called the hospital this morning, spoke to someone in the "insurance and billing department" about my situation. They told me that I can sign up for PE (Presumptive Eligibility). It's a program that allows qualified providers to grant immediate, temporary Medi-Cal coverage for ambulatory prenatal care. Though, I don't qualify for Medi-Cal, she said it's way for me to get immediate coverage until my insurance kicks in, a loophole I don't quite understand, but...it worked! A HUGE thanks to Maria for helping me with the forms! I was able to see a doctor the very same day!

I had my very fist US, saw my little apple seed :) I heard the heartbeat (133 bpm). I'm 6 weeks and 2 days today. The doctor didn't feel the need to check my HCG levels :? , he said, "there's a heartbeat, it looks good". They did draw blood, so I'l get my numbers next week anyway.

We saw something else in my uterus, doctor said it was a hematoma, which is what's probably causing the spotting and bleeding. He didn't seem too concerned about it. He put me on pelvic rest and scheduled another US in a week. I haven't spotted today. I'm not totally out of the woods yet, he said, "I can't guarantee anything" but he said "try to relax, everything looks fine today" Yeah... sure! :| I DO feel a tiny bit better now, I least I KNOW something. :sticky: :sticky:

Thank you ladies for your kind responses, they have been very helpful. All of you are in my thoughts. Ansypansy, I hope you received some resolution at your US today, wishing you all that is good.
trying2beehopeful
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ekkotack » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:04 am

Congratulations on your little apple seed! Such a blessing!!
Me: Ekko, newly 35 and AMA on the front of my chart :(
DH: Jamie, 33
Mommy to Ellis Mae, born 10/26/12

*Angel babies*
Oct 2013 d&c
April 2014 d&c

BFP 8/22/14 grow baby, grow! !
ekkotack
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Miscarriage, Ectopic, and Pregnancy Loss Support