Suppose to have d&c, but miscarried before the rolled me out

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Suppose to have d&c, but miscarried before the rolled me out

Postby Rhondalynn77 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:58 pm

Disclaimer: *Graphic details:
I was diagnosed with a missed miscarriage at 11w2d. The baby had stopped growing at 8w2d. I had one episode of bleeding that covered my underwear, but once cleaned up, nothing, no more blood. So I waited to go in till the next day. I went into urgent care and the ob on call told me that what he found was measuring around 8w and there was no blood flow, i was 11w2d along. I was sent for a formal u/s to verify what the ob saw and the tech saw the same, a baby measuring 8w2d with no bloodflow/heartbeat. I was given 3 options: naturally m/c, medicinal help (cytotec) or a d&c.
I decided to opt for cytotec to help with the m/c. I had 8 doses with no results, other than mild cramping, but this started me spotting/light bleeding. I went into see an ob on Tuesday and he said my placenta was completely intact and he said usually with a m/c that it starts to become oblong as it deteriorates, but that hadn't started.
I opted to have a d&c as i felt that i didn't want to try the cytotec anymore. I had my pre-op visit on wed and the d&c was suppose to happen on Friday morning. Well my ob who was going to do the d&c had me take 2 doses of cytotec to soften my cervix. I took one dose on Thursday night and the second early Friday morning. I started cramping on the way to the hospital to check in for my surgery. I basically ended up going into labor with contractions and everything in the waiting room, my obs first surgery was running behind and they didn't have a place for me to go. I didn't take any pain meds that morning since i thought i would be having surgery soon. Well i waited 3 hours before even getting in to a bed and by this time i was in so much pain and was regularly having contractions, around 30-1min apart. I spoke with the charge nurse (more like yelled) he told me there was no beds and that i had to wait till the one i for my doc was cleared then i could go in. I was so upset, they couldnt give me anything since i wasn't admitted to pre-op yet and i had to be coherent to talk to the anesthesiologist. Finally they found a place for me and after another 45 min they finally gave me something (which barely took the edge off, just made me groggy but didnt help with the pain). the cramps/contractions were horrible, and got worse. After the worst of them i felt something 'pop' which was my water breaking. They called my ob and told her what had happened and she came down with a u/s machine and externally checked me to see if anything was still there. she said i had passed everything and it was probably in my vagina since i was still laying down in bed, i got up to use the rest room and passed a rather large clot which i thought was the placenta and baby. my ob said i didn't need the d&c since things happened on their own, so i finally got some iv pain meds (they couldn't give me anything really earlier, i think they gave me guaifen) so i got a dose of dilaudid and was discharged.
Well i had more cramping, clots and blood the rest of the day and night and finally around 4am i actually passed the placenta and baby. I think what i saw at the hospital was just a large clot. (this is my first m/c and i didn't know what to look for). I am not sure if my doc just missed it on the u/s or was just looking at the stuff in my vagina on the us thinking that it was the placenta and the baby had been absorbed, but no the baby was still there. The placenta was mixed with a rather large clot, everything was around the size of a stick of butter. I actually scooped everything up into a plastic cup and woke dh up. (i had a few pieces of toilet paper in the toilet so the clot/placenta was pretty much on top of the bowl.) Dh and i prayed over our baby and then i made dh flush, i just couldnt.
Over all i am glad i didnt have to have surgery, but i really wish i had taken my pain meds at home before going to the hospital or that they actually realized what was happening and that i probably wasnt having surgery and had them give me something. The pain was awful and since i was in pre-op the nurse didnt really know what was going on (like an ob nurse would have), otherwise i think she would have had them give me more pain meds. I could also tell she had not had a miscarriage by the way she was asking the questions. Dh was right next to me when my water broke, and through all of this. Miscarrying is an awful experience and I pray non of us ever have to go through this again. Sorry this post is so long and detailed. Thank you for reading.
Me: 37, Rhonda
DH: 38, Brian
DS: 6, Elijah
:angel: early m/c May 23, '14
BFP: Feb 9, 2014 :angel: m/c Ap '14
:angel: early m/c 2/12
TTC since June '13

PCOS 1500mg Met. Male Factor: 1% Morph prob due to type 1 diabetes

Nov 4 100mg Clomid (1 egg)-BFN
Dec 14 100mg Clo (1) and IUI-BFN
Jan 15 100mg Clo (1) and IUI- BFN
Feb 15 150mg Clo (2) and IUI- BFN
March 15 delay:cyst. Bravelle (FSH) Inj Cancelled: Cyst
April 15-Natural: BFP!!!
TEAM PINK!!

"Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5&6

Rhondalynn77
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Suppose to have d&c, but miscarried before the rolled me

Postby awilliams » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:31 am

Rhonda, I am so sorry this had to happen this way. I know there are no words that can really help, so I won't try. But I am praying for you and your dh.I hope that having this happen somewhat naturally makes it easier for your body to move on. (((Hugs)))
Alice: 29, diagnosed with PCOS January 2014, postpartum hypothyroid
DH: 28, no known issues
DS: 5
TTC since January 2012
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5,6
BFP May 20, 2017
awilliams
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby MamaBB1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:22 am

So so sorry you had to go through this Rhonda. It is quite an experience! It is very painful, the contractions, and I'm sorry you couldn't get the pain medication on time but I am glad you passed everything out naturally. You are a woman, and we are strong, we bend but never break. Our children will come and we will love them, and the journey will be worth it all. Get well soon, rest up, and before you know it July will be here xxx
Wife (29) to my shining Knight (32) and Mummy to my angel baby boy (24wks)

TTC#1 since Jan 2014
BFP July 2014
Miscarriage @7weeks Aug 2014

"Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer ~ Romans 12:12"

"Only special mummies get angel babies ~anon"

My Ovulation Chart
MamaBB1
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Rhondalynn77 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:19 pm

thank you alice and mama. <3
TTC since June '13

March 15 delay:cyst. Bravelle (FSH) Inj Cancelled: Cyst
April 15-Natural: BFP!!!
TEAM PINK!!

"Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5&6

Rhondalynn77
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SEPT2014 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:28 am

Rhonda, thank you for posting your story, I am thinking of you everyday. You have gone through a lot. You are right, it is a really hard experience. Your post will help others and I hope by writing it down it has helped you a little bit as well. I found writing things down helped me a little in the longterm even if it was just how i was feeling in a notebook. Please take care Rhonda, you and your family :hugs:
Me: 38, DH: 42 - TTC No. 1 since Oct 2013
My Ovulation Chart

MC twin A 12.01.2014 @ 6w6d
Emergency Lap on 16.01.2014 @ 7w3d Twin B (ectopic) & ruptured right tube, left tube ok

May 2014 - CP/MC 5w+3, numerous chemicals since

Metformin (PCOS), bromocriptine(elevated prolactin)
April 2015 HSG - normal uterus and left tube fine
Nov 2015 - investigative hystero & D&C - normal
March 2016 - Start IVF+PGS - our last hope :omg: :love:
Day 9 : 11 measurable follies - egg retrieval March 2016 :omg:
8 eggs selected for fert by icsi - 8 x fert.
Day 5: 5 embryos for PGS biopsy & freeze.
PGS (ngs)results: 2 x normal & 3 x abnormal
FET June 2016 1 x PGS normal blast transferred :omg:
Trust your gut instincts.
Bfp July 2016 - please stay around little one :hb:
SEPT2014
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Rhondalynn77 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Sept thanks so much. I know you have gone through a ton too. thank you for the advice, i did feel that it has helped me to read what others have gone through. i hope this can help someone else who has to go through this as well.
TTC since June '13