Chemical Pregnancy vs. Miscarriage

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Chemical Pregnancy vs. Miscarriage

Postby kw71086 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:37 pm

How can you tell the difference? I *might* be going through one or the other now but won't know for sure until after another blood test on Monday. I got several faint positive HPT this week but I have no clue how many DPO they were because my cycle has been so weird this time. I also had a hcg level of 14 on Thursday. I had brown spotting last weekend which I though was implantation. Red bleeding started today. My OB said to try not to worry yet because bleeding could be because of a variety of things and we will know more come Monday/Tuesday. I've passed a few small clots/tissue-y pieces but nothing major or different than a regular period.

Could it be I'm still pregnant and my hcg just wasn't high enough yet to keep the period at bay or am I having a CP or a MC and how would I know the difference between the two. Thanks!
kw71086

Re: Chemical Pregnancy vs. Miscarriage

Postby dreamingofbab » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:23 am

Hi KW - so sorry to hear you are going through a confusing and dificult time. The same thing happened to me, low HCG and then spotting and blood started. Unfortunately, I lost the baby. HCG numbers were not high enough and went down, but your doc is right - in some cases it could just be implantation and your HCG numbers could increase so I would try to be positive and see what happens this week. I hope all is okay and you have a healthy little bean in there xxx
TTC #1
M/C in December 2013, 7 weeks
M/C in June 2014, 5 weeks

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/499e90
dreamingofbab
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby kw71086 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:32 am

My number yesterday was only 24. It only went up 10 in 4 days. I go back tomorrow for another blood test.
kw71086

Postby Pookieboog » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:18 am

I'm really sorry. Sounds like since the HCG is not doubling that you are probably losing it. :(

Lots of woman have early miscarriages. It sucks pretty bad. But I assure you it's nothing you did. It just happens and it's very common.

A chemical pregnancy is just an early miscarriage. They call it such because the only way to confirm the pregnancy it is with chemicals (HGC) in the urine & blood. A baby cannot yet show on an ultrasound.
Me: 30 yrs old
Hubs: 33 yrs old
Stepson (full-time): 7 years old
Chemical Pregnancy: +9/27, loss 9/29
1st baby due Aug 23rd, 2015

My Ovulation Chart

Pookieboog
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to Miscarriage, Ectopic, and Pregnancy Loss Support