waiting to miscarry

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

waiting to miscarry

Postby snflowr » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi all,
I just found out I had a missed miscarriage (embryo stopped growing at 6 weeks, when I should I have been 9 weeks along). I am devastated, but also a little numb from the thought. It's sinking in slowly.
I decided to wait until I pass it naturally, or change my mind and get some medical help. People have different opinions and personal preferences on getting a D&C, medication, or trying it naturally. I am wondering which is the safest option in terms of being able to attain healthy future pregnancies and which option leads to the fastest recovery (so that I can TTC again). Any information you may have would be great.
me (41 & Hashimoto's) dh (46) :angel: (2014); :angel: :angel: (2014); DS (1)
TTC#2 since Oct 2016; :angel: (2017)
snflowr
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: waiting to miscarry

Postby delightfuldoula » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:00 pm

I am sorry for your many losses. I had a loss last year. I started spotting at almost 10 weeks u/s showed no baby only sac that measure 6 weeks 5 days. I miscarried naturally and went on to get pregnant the next cycle about 6 weeks later and that baby is sleeping beside me in my bed right now. It took me about 5 weeks to get a negative pregnancy test after I started to bleed. I was under the care of midwives so I felt comfortable doing it naturally with no medications or interventions even though they said I might want pain relief I found it a more 'gentle' experience not to have ANY medical intervention. I miscarried in my own home in my bathtub with just my husband beside me. I think natural is the way to go in terms of being allowed to ttc again the soonest. I think it takes longer after a DC to build your lining up again. Its all a matter of preference though this is a time to do what you feel is best.
Me 30 DH 35
Vasectomy July 29/2009
Reversal Dec 19, 2011

DD JULY 11 2006
DS Sept 13 2007
DD Nov 29 2008
DD Jan 17 2010

DS Nov 29 2012
DD July 11, 2014
Angel baby Aug 9 2013
delightfuldoula
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ekkotack » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:34 am

Hi Snflowr, I'm so sorry for your loss. For what it's worth, I found having the d&c got me on the road to TTC again the quickest. I tried cytotec, didn't work. I tried m/c at home on my own, didn't work and I ended up in ER and then bled still for months due to retained tissue. With the d&c you're able to TTC again about a month later and we got pregnant straight away on the first cycle. Hope that helps.
Me: Ekko, newly 35 and AMA on the front of my chart :(
DH: Jamie, 33
Mommy to Ellis Mae, born 10/26/12

*Angel babies*
Oct 2013 d&c
April 2014 d&c

BFP 8/22/14 grow baby, grow! !
ekkotack
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby snflowr » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:32 am

Thank you, both. I am updating my post so that it may help people who get here looking for information on what to do with missed miscarriage.
After it was confirmed at my 9 wk visit that I would miscarry, nothing happened for a week. BBT was dropping and then jumping back up after a couple of days. Then a few days of very minor spotting. Then I saw red blood one day, after a few hours I had full blown backache, uterus cramps (just above pubic bone), and very heavy bleeding with clots of various sizes (largest being 1.5" diameter). I was using an overnight size pad every 1-1.5 hrs. Cramps were too strong to be called cramps. But all of it subsided by the evening. I had a much shorter episode of the same thing on the second day, passing one clot, and then it subsided. I did not have follow up bleeding, although I was expecting the rest to be like a period. It was confirmed that I passed most of the products, but I still had the D&C to make sure no remnants are left.
I wish I would be cleared after natural miscarriage and didn't have to have any medical intervention. However, I say this because the terrible first day was on my day off work, and the second episode happened after I returned from work the next day. This would be a disaster if I were caught anywhere among people.
me (41 & Hashimoto's) dh (46) :angel: (2014); :angel: :angel: (2014); DS (1)
TTC#2 since Oct 2016; :angel: (2017)
snflowr
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby smari » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:32 am

Snflowr,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone, this post was very helpful to me. I am going through a natural miscarriage right now (not necessarily by choice, but it happened that way). I agree that there is an inconvenience factor about a natural miscarriage. You don't know where you'll be when it starts... hopefully home or close to home. I didn't leave my house for the first 24 hours because bleeding was incredibly heavy. I'm still bleeding 6 days later, but it's more like a period at this point. I'm re-doing a blood test in two more days and hoping I don't need to follow-up with a D&C.

Good luck to you in your next attempt!
smari
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to Miscarriage, Ectopic, and Pregnancy Loss Support