Two Week Wait

Support for anyone experiencing a miscarriage or looking for support from others who have been there.
Post a reply

waiting to miscarry

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi all,
I just found out I had a missed miscarriage (embryo stopped growing at 6 weeks, when I should I have been 9 weeks along). I am devastated, but also a little numb from the thought. It's sinking in slowly.
I decided to wait until I pass it naturally, or change my mind and get some medical help. People have different opinions and personal preferences on getting a D&C, medication, or trying it naturally. I am wondering which is the safest option in terms of being able to attain healthy future pregnancies and which option leads to the fastest recovery (so that I can TTC again). Any information you may have would be great.

Re: waiting to miscarry

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:00 pm

I am sorry for your many losses. I had a loss last year. I started spotting at almost 10 weeks u/s showed no baby only sac that measure 6 weeks 5 days. I miscarried naturally and went on to get pregnant the next cycle about 6 weeks later and that baby is sleeping beside me in my bed right now. It took me about 5 weeks to get a negative pregnancy test after I started to bleed. I was under the care of midwives so I felt comfortable doing it naturally with no medications or interventions even though they said I might want pain relief I found it a more 'gentle' experience not to have ANY medical intervention. I miscarried in my own home in my bathtub with just my husband beside me. I think natural is the way to go in terms of being allowed to ttc again the soonest. I think it takes longer after a DC to build your lining up again. Its all a matter of preference though this is a time to do what you feel is best.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:34 am

Hi Snflowr, I'm so sorry for your loss. For what it's worth, I found having the d&c got me on the road to TTC again the quickest. I tried cytotec, didn't work. I tried m/c at home on my own, didn't work and I ended up in ER and then bled still for months due to retained tissue. With the d&c you're able to TTC again about a month later and we got pregnant straight away on the first cycle. Hope that helps.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:32 am

Thank you, both. I am updating my post so that it may help people who get here looking for information on what to do with missed miscarriage.
After it was confirmed at my 9 wk visit that I would miscarry, nothing happened for a week. BBT was dropping and then jumping back up after a couple of days. Then a few days of very minor spotting. Then I saw red blood one day, after a few hours I had full blown backache, uterus cramps (just above pubic bone), and very heavy bleeding with clots of various sizes (largest being 1.5" diameter). I was using an overnight size pad every 1-1.5 hrs. Cramps were too strong to be called cramps. But all of it subsided by the evening. I had a much shorter episode of the same thing on the second day, passing one clot, and then it subsided. I did not have follow up bleeding, although I was expecting the rest to be like a period. It was confirmed that I passed most of the products, but I still had the D&C to make sure no remnants are left.
I wish I would be cleared after natural miscarriage and didn't have to have any medical intervention. However, I say this because the terrible first day was on my day off work, and the second episode happened after I returned from work the next day. This would be a disaster if I were caught anywhere among people.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:32 am

Snflowr,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone, this post was very helpful to me. I am going through a natural miscarriage right now (not necessarily by choice, but it happened that way). I agree that there is an inconvenience factor about a natural miscarriage. You don't know where you'll be when it starts... hopefully home or close to home. I didn't leave my house for the first 24 hours because bleeding was incredibly heavy. I'm still bleeding 6 days later, but it's more like a period at this point. I'm re-doing a blood test in two more days and hoping I don't need to follow-up with a D&C.

Good luck to you in your next attempt!
Post a reply
IsoFresh
Pregnancy Test Strips
FertilAid for Women and Men
OvaCue
OvaGraph
IsoFresh
5 Tips Newsletter