Just diagnosed and worried about my docs plan

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Just diagnosed and worried about my docs plan

Postby TTCmy1stangel » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:19 am

Hello ladies. My husband and I have been ttc our 1st for the last 6 months. I went to the doc earlier this week and he diagnosed me with pcos. He went ahead and prescribed provera without even taking my blood (had to return the next morning for that) I think the doc is telling me to take the provera so I can get my period and we can start the clomid without waiting to see how long before my period starts on it's own. I understand why he's doing it but I do get periods every month'ish (32-40 days) so I don't think my cycles are so bad I need to make my period come. I just think he's trying to get the ball rolling and on a cycle we can all keep up with but I just hate the thought of taking something that could be harmful to a fetus/or my body. I could understand him doing it this first cycle to start my period and then starting clomid, but he went ahead and gave me a 3 month supply without telling me really when we would start the clomid. I usally ovulate around 3 1/2 weeks into my cycle so I'm worried by the time I ovulate I'll start the provera and basically flush my egg out before it's had time to implant and prevent a possible pregnancy for the next few months. I just really don't know what to do or think. Do I go ahead and work on getting my cycles in order so we can get the timing right, or leave things alone and nothing happens and I end up in the same position a year from now? Sorry this is so long....I've been rattling my brain for 2 days now and just need to write out all my worries.

Good Luck and lots of baby dust to us all.
TTCmy1stangel

Re: Just diagnosed and worried about my docs plan

Postby mharmon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm a a bit surprised that a doc would give you Provera to induce your period when you are getting them on your own...but are you O'ing on your own? Women can get what they think is a true period without ovulating (it's called an anovulatory cycle). Did your doc do an u/s or other tests? I would assume your doctor wants to start you on Clomid because you are most likely not O'ing on your own. So, maybe your doc wants to just get things going for you so that you are not waiting for another "period." And if I'm understanding things correctly, you did NOT get a script for Clomid? If that's the case, I would call your doctor's office back and ask for it or ask more questions until you have them answered. Your doctor works FOR YOU. Or get a second opinion. Once you take the Clomid, you would be monitored by u/s to see if it's working (you're getting mature follicles).

Since you ovulate around 3 1/2 weeks (again, how do you know this?), are you saying that your doc gave you Provera to start now and that you are around when you would ovulate in your cycle and therefore afraid to take it yet? Either way, YOU have to be comfortable with the plan. Sorry to ask a bunch of questions, but we need more info! I know you were just frustrated and writing. I also have PCOS, so I understand.
Me: 36 | DH: 37 | TTC #1 | On IVF FET Cycle #2
mharmon
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TTCmy1stangel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 am

Hi mharmon. Thank you so much for taking time to look at my post. I believe I ovulate because I temp and each month it does seem to have a shift in temperatures. They are not huge spikes but they do rise and stay. I also get positive opks(which I know can not always be trusted with PCOS) and different cervical mucous (like eggwhite). I also think I ovulate cause each month after my rise I get tender, swollen breasts (like almost a whole cup size). I think I point to all signs of ovulation but I guess you never really know. The doctor did an vaginal u/s and that is how he diagnosed the PCOS. He also did the routine pap and all over exam. He took blood the next morning (I had eaten since my first appt wasn't till 1 so I had to fast first) and I will get those results tomorrow. I think his plan was to get things started and then do clomid but I'm not 100% sure. And yeah I'm scared about taking it cause it will be around ovulation. I actually just got a stong positive opk yesterday and think I should ovulate really soon (prob today) and my doc told me to start the provera the 1-10 of each month. That means I would start taking it Friday and if I ovulate today or tomorrow (Wed) I'm scared I would shed my lining before I've even given the egg a chance. But if the egg didn't even fertilize, then I guess it wouldn't matter but it's the not knowing that I'm scared of. I will def be asking a lot of questions tomorrow but I am just scared because I've looked into Provera and it sounds really bad for fetus' and I would rather be put on prometrium if it's a progesterone problem.

Again, thank you for taking to time to post. Good luck and baby dust to us all!
TTCmy1stangel

Postby mharmon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 am

IMHO...I would wait out this cycle and see what happens. It's obviously what you want to do and that's ok. :) If no BFP and you get your "period," then just start taking the Clomid on the days prescribed. There would be no need for the Provera at that point. And I've never heard a doc say you HAD to take Provera the 1-10 of each month (like at the beginning). Weird. There's no tidy way time a cycle because our bodies are different. It sounds like you are ovulating based on your signs. PCOS can be so different for people. Will you go for a day 3 blood draw when you do start your next period? Or can you ask your doc to write up lab work to check your progesterone level a week after O to see if you did O? These are just some ideas.

FX and GL to you!
mharmon
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TTCmy1stangel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Sounds good to me. I knew on cd3 you were suppose to check different hormone levels but my doc told me to call the day I started and he would schedule one for cd5. Not sure if the 2 days will make a difference but I hate ?ing him. He may get offended or something if I try to do my own way of diagnosing. And I will ask him to check my progesterone levels. Hopefully I'll ovulate tonight and we can set something up for next week. I def think my biggest problem is my progesterone levels based on all the symtoms. I'm just happy to finally get some questions answered and to get on the right track.

Good luck and lots of baby dust to us all!
TTCmy1stangel

Postby mharmon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Your doctor isn't God! It's okay to question him. You guys are a team and should be working together. You don't have to take everything he says as gold. Maybe he'd be more receptive than you think. And if he gets offended, I would say it's time to find someone else. But that's just me! Medicine is a lot of trial and error...
mharmon
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby TTCmy1stangel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:49 am

Thanks mharmon. I talked with him yesterday and he seemed to completely change everything he first said so I think I will just take things into my own hands along with God. I at least now know that things may be a little more difficult but I know why and I'm not stressing that it's something that makes me completely infertile. I did start metformin so I will see how that helps and maybe start searching other alternatives (possibly vitex). Thanks again for posting and GL to all!
TTCmy1stangel

Postby Babyno.2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:04 pm

How long are your periods? My dr. Prescribed me provera for the opposite reason. I couldn't stop bleeding for two months straight and that still didnt work so she put me on bc for two months. That actually fixed everything.

This is my first month ttc. I'm guessing your dr. Wanted to get your cycle regulated so they can track everything. It's almost impossible to track a woman's cycle that has pcos so if you're anything like me (the thought of waiting another month to ttc killed me), I'd go ahead and try to regulate your cycle before ttc, like your dr says.
Babyno.2
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to PCOS Support