Fed up of waiting - Newbie

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Fed up of waiting - Newbie

Postby Kaiowa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:58 am

Hi there.

Been trying to conceive almost 18 months now after coming off the pill. Since then I have been charted and doing all the monitoring (only ovulated once), as well as taking every vitamin and mineral known to man (thats how it feels, anyway). Every month or so I get really really light bleeds, not a period imo but more breakthrough bleeding. So I've been talking to my doc, but she made me wait for a few more months to try and see if things straighten out (they didn't). I started getting so bleak about the body hair, the lack of baby, seeing babies everywhere, the whole "it's not fair!" Thank God I'm young enough to have time on my side, but in a way that annoys me even more; I'm young and otherwise healthy, I should get pregnant easily.
So I went back, and doc did even more bloodwork, and she's pretty sure I'm pcos. She referred me to get an ultrasound, and so I've been waiting for 3 weeks now to receive a letter just for an appointment (NHS is great and all but so slow). I have no idea how long I will have to wait, and then whether I will finally get put on ovulation drugs. It's just all this waiting around that is literally driving me mad. I guess I'm not alone in this respect?
Question: for the ladies who got an ultrasound, how long did it take before you got one? Also, what should I expect?

Thanks everyone,
Kaiowa
Kaiowa
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Fed up of waiting - Newbie

Postby Menehune » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi kaiowa!

The waiting sure does stink! Are you seeing an obgyn or a reproductive endocrinologist (RE)? I think REs tend to be more aggressive. Mine has several ultrasound machines in his office so I got a scan on my first visit. He diagnosed my pcos while monitoring me on a clomid cycle (saw the string of pearls, but this was about a month into my visits with him). I was started on metformin right away.

Best of luck with your scan and moving forward!
Me - 36 (PCOS/Endo/polyps), Him - 37
TTC #1 since Jan 2009
MM/C Apr 2010 @ 5wks
Clomid only Sept-Nov 2010
Clomid/IUI Feb-Mar 2011
Acupuncture 2011
IUI #3 Oct 2012
Started Metformin for PCOS
Clomid/IUI #4 Nov 2012
Laparascopy/Hysteroscopy/D&C Dec 2012 - Endo removed from both ovaries and bladder, uterine polyps removed
Clomid/IUI Jan-Mar 2013
Mar 2013 - Acupuncture to prep for IVF
Hysteroscopy/Endo scratch/polyps removed May 2013
IVF #1 June 2013, Long lupron, follistim/menopur, 30 eggs retrieved, 27 mature, 15 fertilized, 11 5-day blasts, freeze all due to OHSS
8/23/13 FET 3x5-day blasts transferred, BFP 6dp5dt, betas 380 @ 10dp5dt, 810 @ 12dp5dt, 38,185 @ 22dp5dt, U/S 9/26 Twins!
The twins arrived at 34 weeks, baby boy spent 2 weeks in NICU, baby girl spent 3 weeks in NICU
Menehune
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Kaiowa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi thanks!

I'm not sure who I will get the appointment with; my GP referred me but didnt tell me much. Will have to see...
Kaiowa
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Kaiowa » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:19 am

Also, did your RE prescribe you the met or did you have to go back to your regular doctor?

Thanks

Kaiowa
Kaiowa
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Menehune » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 am

RE prescribed it
Me - 36 (PCOS/Endo/polyps), Him - 37
TTC #1 since Jan 2009
MM/C Apr 2010 @ 5wks
Clomid only Sept-Nov 2010
Clomid/IUI Feb-Mar 2011
Acupuncture 2011
IUI #3 Oct 2012
Started Metformin for PCOS
Clomid/IUI #4 Nov 2012
Laparascopy/Hysteroscopy/D&C Dec 2012 - Endo removed from both ovaries and bladder, uterine polyps removed
Clomid/IUI Jan-Mar 2013
Mar 2013 - Acupuncture to prep for IVF
Hysteroscopy/Endo scratch/polyps removed May 2013
IVF #1 June 2013, Long lupron, follistim/menopur, 30 eggs retrieved, 27 mature, 15 fertilized, 11 5-day blasts, freeze all due to OHSS
8/23/13 FET 3x5-day blasts transferred, BFP 6dp5dt, betas 380 @ 10dp5dt, 810 @ 12dp5dt, 38,185 @ 22dp5dt, U/S 9/26 Twins!
The twins arrived at 34 weeks, baby boy spent 2 weeks in NICU, baby girl spent 3 weeks in NICU
Menehune
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Tathial » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi, I'm in the same position as you, my blood tests suggest pcos and I'm waiting for an appointment with the gynecologist for a scan and hopefully some meds. It seems to take forever on the NHS - the blood test results took 2 months because I had to wait to discuss the results with my doc who was away. It's so frustrating :(
Tathial
Friend

Postby Kaiowa » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:59 am

So we are in the same boat! I wonder if you will be prescribed them then and there, or if you will have to go back to your GP. I don't even know if Im seeing a gyn or a radiologist just for the ultrasound; I haven't got a letter through yet, after three weeks. Grrrrr. Will phone up docs soon if it doesn't arrive by next monday.
I didnt have to wait so long to see my gp after my blood test, but even the few days was torture.
Have you been trying for long?
Kaiowa
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Tathial » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:35 pm

We've been actively trying for 1.5yr, ever since my mc. We were ntnp for over a yr before that. It kinda makes sense now since reading that you're 4-5 times more likely to mc with pcos, which sucks. I think that you see gynecologists in the UK (I may be wrong though) - the copy of my referral is dated April 19th, so I guess I won't hear from them until after that date (which is 3wk since I spoke to my doc). She said that they'd send me a questionnaire in the post and when I send it back they'll ring me to arrange an appointment.I'm sure you'll hear from them soon, but I'd give them a ring. It would be great if you could let me know how you get on at your first appointment as I have no idea what to expect (although the doc mentioned that they should do a scan). It just feels like everything is dragging on. Good luck on your first appointment, and please keep in touch! :)
Tathial
Friend

Postby Kaiowa » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:48 am

So sorry to hear you had a mc :( The possibility is in the back of my mind too, but hopefully the child that is meant to arrive here will. I've decided to phone the docs today just to check, and I will defo keep in touch, though who knows when the appointment will actually be. It would be nice to have a date to aim to, I just really want to get the ball rolling, I've got baby brain :P
Kaiowa
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby JesslynnJo84 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 pm

I am sorry you are feeling "the wait". It is so hard! If I can be of any encouragement, I too was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009 after about 6 months of no period and coming off of BC. I went through countless tests, bloodwork, MRI's (my prolactin was high, which can also cause you not to ovulate). Finally in the begining of May, I was put on Metformin and parlodel for the high prolactin by my RE. He was so much more thorough than my OB/GYN. I highly recommend seeing one if you are not. I got my first period on June 29th, followed ovulation with ovulation kit and ovulated 17th/18th of July, then finally got a faint positive on Aug 10th. I needed progesterone as my levels were low and I was cramping alot (they were worried about miscarriage). I took metformin and progesterone my first trimester, along with three ultrasounds. Everything was great, by God's grace, and I had my son in April 2010 on his due date! Now, we have been NTNP for almost 2 years, but I have not been able to ovulate on my own. So, at the end of Jan, I went back to my RE and he prescribed the same medications, four weeks later had a period, followed through March with Ovuation Kit, not real sure if I o'd or not, but now I am several days late. Having similar symptoms, just waiting to see what will happen and praying until then! Please do not lose hope, as this could be a good step for you in the right direction toward having a baby! I know it is scary, and being diagnosed can be scary, but there is still so much hope!!! Let me know if I can answer any questions for you!
JesslynnJo84

Postby Kaiowa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:23 am

Hi Jesslynn,

thanks for your post! I have my fingers double crossed for you :) I phoned the doctors yesterday and they said they will speak to my doctor about my referral, as I haven't heard anything. I think they are only sending me for an ultrasound though, and no other info came up on my record. Still hopefully things will roll a little faster now :) Also my partner got a positive reading for his little swimmers, so now I'm feeling more encouraged. :)
I don't have high prolactin but I have higher testosterone and FSH/LH I think, which could be a problem. I know I have a long way to go, I just wish things would speed up a little.

Kaiowa
Kaiowa
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Kaiowa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:20 am

Phoned the docs, should hear about the ultrasound within a week. :)
Kaiowa
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Rachellexxx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Hun , on valentines day of all days I had my blood tests back from the doctors , they said it pretty much confimed my pcos but they would and me for an ultrasounds to double check , I waited about 4 weeks for my scan letter to come through then I had my appointment on the 27th of march , so it was quite a wait , the scan was Absolutley fine , I was a bit nervous !!

They tried at first with the ultrasound on my belly , but said she couldn't see my ovaries and needed to do an internal ( to my horror ) but it was actually really not as bad as I expected , she showed me my ovaries on te monitor and I had Absolutley loads of little cysts on my left AND right ovaries :-( so I was expecting to be disappointed , but I'm trying this whole positive mental attitude and thaugh there's no point moping about something that can't be changed , it's a medical condition so if there's nothing I can do to change it , why be upset ? ( I had to tell myself this over and over )! Anyway so I just got on with day to day life , baby dancing every other day - anyway , I'm thinking ( not too hopeful) that this month may be my month ;-) but then again maybe not .

Stay positive everyone ! And just remember that when we all do finally get our little bundles of joy we will appreciate them all the more due the struggle we've had to get through to get them

Lots of love and baby dust !!

Rach xx
1st baby should of been due 07/03/2014 , miscarried at 9 weeks *heartbroken*
The dreaded ttc journey continues
Already in my heart yet to be in my arms .
Rachellexxx
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Kaiowa » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi Rach :)

Thanks for your reply. I spent hours on the phone a few days ago trying to find out what was going on with my appointment (the hospital denied I am on the system, then my GP admitted they spelt my name completely wrong! My NHS number was on the system though). I'm due an appointment to be given by the end of April, which I suppose is bearable. I absolutely agree the wait will make these babies more precious than gems to us--I can't describe how much I will love my future child and I'm not even pregnant yet! However, when well-meaning family and friends ask if I'm pregnant yet :P Oh well.

Sorry to hear your pcos was confirmed, but at least you know for sure what you're dealing with. Are you going on meds? I don't seem to be ovulating at all so I think I might have to have them.
Keep me posted :)

K xx
Kaiowa
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Kaiowa » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:18 am

Finally letter arrived, ultrasound May 1st :) Hurray!
Kaiowa
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Next

Return to PCOS Support