pcos/thyroidectomy

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

pcos/thyroidectomy

Postby aim...pos » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:20 am

I'm new to this site, but felt like it might help me chill out a little to talk to others who are going through a similar thing.

Anybody out there got pcos, and got thyroid issues or had a thyroidectmoy? if so, how were your periods after the thyroidectomy? Did they get more or less regular?

Mine were pretty regular before my operation 4 months ago, but now they are almost non-existent! Feel like I've taken a step backwards! Been ttc since last October (seems like a lifetime).
aim...pos
Friend

Re: pcos/thyroidectomy

Postby iceteadingo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:09 pm

Hi Pos,

I was told at 16 that my ovaries "had the appearance of PCOS" - I think this is as far as most diagnoses go... I had irregular periods, I then went on the pill for close to 10 years so I never really knew what my periods were doing. At 24 I got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, stayed on the pill, took thyroid medication accordingly. Around the time I turned 28 (sorry for the ages, just to give some timescale) I stopped the pill and went on the implant, this contains a constant dose of progesterone, so my own body started dictating when my periods would be - it was pretty irregular... About a year later I had a thyroidectomy (April 13). I'm still on the implant, but since the operation I swear my periods have become just about regular, they've settled into a cycle of around 32 days, and considering I've gone 6 months without a period in the past, this is quite a big deal to me!

I'm not ttc yet - I'd like to, a bit worried about when the time comes it's going to be hard, maybe in a year or two. Last month I had some really bad ovary pain - I couldn't stand, turned out to be a heamorragic cyst, it was pretty big, but the doc just told me to come get another ultrasound in 6 weeks - which I must be nearly due for.

The op shakes you up quite a bit, must take some time for the body to settle. I see you posted in July - have you had any more luck?
iceteadingo

Re: pcos/thyroidectomy

Postby iceteadingo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:19 pm

I've just seen from another one of your posts that you've conceived - hooray! There is hope... xx
iceteadingo

Return to PCOS Support