recent loss with PCOS... any one with similar experiences...

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

recent loss with PCOS... any one with similar experiences...

Postby redneckgurl26 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:32 pm

I was diagnosed with PCOS this past November and was put on metformin. It has helped regulate my cycles. My last period before my loss was either April 8th. My doctors all of them put it of to the PCOS because a hpt in May was negative at my gp. I found out July 8th I was pregnant. Then unfortunately I found out July 14th that the baby had passed away at 8 weeks 4 days and I was supposed to be 13 weeks 6 days. I don't know if it could be due to the fact I was off the metformin for a month it not, but they are running tests to try and figure everything out. This is my 3rd loss. They sent some tissue from the baby off for chromosomal testing. I'll have those results back in about 3 more weeks. I was told at my appt yesterday that PCOS increases the risk for MC which freaks me out. I was told if everything comes back fine they will more than likely lean towards the PCOS being the cause which will mean I have to stay on the metformin as well as will most likely be put on progesterone infections.

Had anyone had a similar experience. I hope not but am curious of any ones outcomes if you have.
Me - 27
DBF - 32

02-2007 :angel: (blighted ovum)
07-2007 :angel: (baby passed @ 8 weeks)
07-2013 :angel: (baby passed @ 8+4)
12-2013 :angel: (blighted ovum)

My Ovulation Chart
redneckgurl26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: recent loss with PCOS... any one with similar experience

Postby redneckgurl26 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Here is the blood work that was ordered to hopefully find a cause for my recurrent 8 week losses.

Me - 27
DBF - 32

My Ovulation Chart
redneckgurl26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby CC330 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 pm

:hugs: I'm so sorry for your loss! I haven't had a loss but wanted to give you a hug
Me - Coreena (24)
DH - Max (29)
DS - Carter (23 months)
TTC #2 for 14 while nursing
DX PCOS 12-2007
Started Metformin 6-10-2013
CC330
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby LK1123 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Hey sorry for your loss. I got your pm but I've been in hiding on the site. I just lost one July 2 at 5 weeks. This makes second confirmed loss and most likely 3rd (no bw ever done, extremely faint line and then af next day) the other two were years ago and I definitely wasn't trying. Was on BC for both. This time around my Dr offered to run many of the same tests you're doing but his office couldn't tell me for sure if insurance would cover some of them and the lab couldn't either. The lab did quote me to pay up front at a discounted rated $6200 so I said no thanks. Maybe if we lose another but I pray that doesn't happen. I'm now in limbo waiting for af to start femara again. Not sure if I o'd or not. May have to provera induce af again to get restarted. We took this month off from all charting and just made love when we felt like it. Dr said not to worry about protection. If it happens this month it happens. Wasn't worried about waiting a few months before ttc again. Said that's an old way of thinking. I really hope you get answers soon and that it's an easy fix. :)
Me, Lindsay, 32 / DH, 34
Married 11.23.12
Me - Dx PCOS 2006(?) (on Femara); hypothyroidism 2013 (Synthroid 25mcg)
:angel: 07/02/13
:angel: 12/25/13

"Blessed is she who believed that the Lord would fulfill His promises to her!" Luke 1:45

My Ovulation Chart

LK1123
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby redneckgurl26 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Thank you hun. We had been taking a break ourselves when I got pregnant. I was told to wait to try again until we have some answers which makes since but at the same time I keep thinking what if there is no answer to find. I was shocked when my midwife told me it could soley be the PCOS causing an issue and if that was the case then we needed to keep me on metformin and start me on progesterone. I couldn't help thinking why didn't anyone mention this before and we start all of this sooner. Hell they knew we weren't preventing pregnancy and my history of miscarriage. Makes me so mad when I think about it. My first loss in Feb 07 was a blighted ovum (found no baby @ 8 weeks) and my second in July 07 baby passed at 8 weeks found out at 10 weeks natural MC followed by d&c at 12 weeks. I'm in the process of finding a new obgyn or at least a gyn to get a second opinion due to left over tissue being found 10 days post d&c and current obgyn/midwives don't want to do anything about it because its only 1.3 cm in size. Are you kidding? That seems pretty big to me. Plus thanks to my still present hcg level (as of a week ago anyways) I still somewhat feel pregnant which is making me crazy.
Me - 27
DBF - 32

My Ovulation Chart
redneckgurl26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JennMarie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 am

Hi there ladies :) I am new to the site and also have PCOS. I am so sorry for your losses... I can't even imagine what you must be going through. :hugs: I have never had blood testing to see what my hormone levels are, but I have lots of breakthrough bleeding even when on birth control pills. I started reading up about anything that could help women with PCOS have normal cycles, and I saw numerous articles about Vitex. Have you ever tried it or heard about it? I'm on my first month taking it right now and currently I feel about the same, although I hear that it is supposed to work slowly. It has been shown to raise progesterone levels and is frequently used by women who have experience multiple losses through the first trimester. I have never personally experienced a loss, but I wanted to mention it to you just in case you hadn't heard about it. I wish you all a healthy pregnancy soon!
Me-33
DH-39

JennMarie
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby LK1123 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 pm

Redneckgurl - PCOS alone can cause miscarriages since it's a hormonal imbalance and a lot of women also have low p4 when they have pcos. Metformin should be continued at least until the end of first trimester and the progesterone supplements can be done a couple of ways. You can temp and start them as soon as O has been confirmed or you can just wait and start them as soon as you get bfp on hpt - the second route is what I'll be doing if we end up preg again. The progesterone is what causes so many "false" preg symptoms so I don't want the tease while in the tww. I'm not insulin resistant, but am on Glumetza (like Met, but formulated a little different) and am on it because it aids with the use of Femara. Doc said to stay on through first tri. I was on it already when I got pregnant in June and it didn't prevent miscarriage, but it's supposed to help. I was not on progesterone suppositories though.

JennMarie - I have heard about Vitex and actually bought it before going to Femara. I took it in to ask my endocrinologist about it and she wasn't sure about me taking it so was going to research, but we decided to go the Femara route instead. I hope it works for you. Keep us posted :)
Me, Lindsay, 32 / DH, 34
Married 11.23.12
Me - Dx PCOS 2006(?) (on Femara); hypothyroidism 2013 (Synthroid 25mcg)
:angel: 07/02/13
:angel: 12/25/13

"Blessed is she who believed that the Lord would fulfill His promises to her!" Luke 1:45

My Ovulation Chart

LK1123
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby redneckgurl26 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi ladies. I've heard of vitex but am unsure if its something I want to try or not. I've been on metformin since November of 2012 but have heard about a newer diabetic injection that is not insulin staying to be used for PCOS. It is called victoza both of my parents are on it for their diabetes and it also helps with weight loss. I know I shouldn't be concerned about my weight loss I should be concerned with getting everything figured out. When the progesterone was mentioned to me it was mentioned as injections but I want told how I would need to take it. When I get all of my results back on the 20th I'm going to ask about starting Clomid since it was already offered to me before my MC. Even on the met my cycles started going wakey again so I think that's why they offered the Clomid to make sure I o. I had started back temping after my d&c but my thermometer disappeared which I should be getting new one in next few days in the mail (haven't been able to replace my basal one yet tho) so I'll start back up then even tho its in the middle of cycle. Want to get in the habit of doing it again. May wait on the Clomid tho only because I'm not currently not able to physically be with my man do to living arrangements and I'd hate to waste the chance, ya know?. I hope all goes well with you LK. Am sorry to hear about your loss. I'm wondering if the fact that I want on my met for a month before I found out I was pregnant may have had something to do with the MC? I can't think that way there was no way I could have changed what happened.
Me - 27
DBF - 32

My Ovulation Chart
redneckgurl26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to PCOS Support