OPKs with PCOS......do they work?

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

OPKs with PCOS......do they work?

Postby RowtheBoat » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:23 am

I have been told that opks probably won't work for me as i have pcos......i have really irregular cycles with no clear indications of ovulation and am hoping to start clomid next cycle,
Has anyone with a similar background had success with opks or should i just not bother.......? Thanks very much for any feedback-i haven't really got anyone i can talk to about this type of problem (i have great friends but not in any comparable situation)
RowtheBoat

Re: OPKs with PCOS......do they work?

Postby CaleighDonia » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm not sure

I've heard women with PCOS have elevated LH levels all of the time, but I'm in the same not sure boat as you right now, because I have been getting positive OPKs since Tuesday of this week and they are still positive, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

That said, I have a lot of friends who were TTC on a PCOS support group on facebook who have all used and had success with OPKs xx
CaleighDonia
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby HawkeyeGirl16 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:44 pm

For some women, they work. For others, they don't. Basically, if you seem to be getting a bunch of positive ones, your LH is probably high and you won't be able to accurately pinpoint when you are getting close to ovulation. I have PCOS, but lower LH (FSH 2.3, LH 6.7), so OPKs have worked for me in the past when I was actually gearing up to ovulate. I've only had one cycle during the entire time that I was trying that I ovulated without medications and caught it with a positive OPK. While I was taking Clomid, my RE recommended using OPKs to see if I was gearing up to ovulate instead of following my follicles with ultrasound. It was definitely cheaper, but I never got a positive and it was confirmed that I don't respond to Clomid. Hope this helps and good luck! :luck:
Me: 28 DH: 30
We're TTC a little brother or sister for Mason! (Shh FB friends)
My blog: http://ttcwithpcosrpl.blogspot.com
PCOS, adenomyosis, RPL, & IC
7/09-8/10: Multiple cycles of IF medications
4/26/10 :angel: 8w3d
7/26/10 :angel: 5w0d
RPL testing: elevated anticardiolipin IgM
1/7/11: Triplet angels 19w4d due to IC Cadyn :angel: Adalyn :angel: Mikayla :angel:
5/24/11: :angel: 4w3d
6/21/11: :bfp: #5 Shirodkar cerclage & 17p
:hb: Our miracle baby Mason arrived safely 2/22/12 :hb:
October 2013: BF?
HawkeyeGirl16
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Laci1304 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:02 pm

I have mild PCOS I have pretty regular cycles on my own about 39 day cycles. I do ovulate when I take my Metformin like I should. Anyways I don't usually use opks but last year we tried three rounds of clomid and I used opks for the first time. They did work for me I got a positive every time around the time of ovulation then negatives after the time passed. We weren't successful with clomid. I haven't used opks since. May of this year I found out I was pregnant but unfortunately ended in miscarriage. Makes me hopeful though! So give them a try opks did work for me I actually just purchased more and plan in using this month. Good luck to you!
Laci1304
Friend

Postby plattis » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:04 pm

I was diagnosed with PCOS about a month ago- my LH is always really high. OPKs kinda work for me. They look almost positive for about 10 days and then I will suddenly get one that is just a hair darker. It helps me to save them all so that I can compare back. I also do BBT to confirm O with temps. Good luck!
Me:27 DH:31 (normal SA)
HSG&SIS - tubes/uterus great.
TTC #1 since Sept 2012

2012: TTC without strategy
2013: diagnosed with PCOS, clomid 4x (bfn), HSG&LAP
2014: femara 3x (bfn), Ectopic pregnancy, clomid #5, IUI 4x & IVF

9/1/14: IVF#1! 11 days of stims, 8 mature/ 8 fertilized/ 7 frosties and one beautiful 4AA transferred :)
10dp5dt beta #1: 266!
12dp5dt beta #2: 704!
19dp5dt beta #3: 13,600!!
26dp5dt (6w3d): First U/S! one beautiful little Bee with :hb: 108!
7w5d: little Bee :hb: 158!
graduated from RE to Ob!!
10w2d: Bee :hb: 169! measuring ahead at 10w5d

Mom to one beautiful little baby bee born 5/22/15 <3

the chart

my fertility & pregnancy ramblings
plattis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby RowtheBoat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:46 am

Thanks ladies, hope all is going well for u?! Did u get a strong positive Caleigh ?
I decided to give them a go next cycle and so was kind of relieved when AF finally rocked up yesterday (cd64!) so think i will start testing in a week or so...am starting clomid for the first time today (cd2-6).....or at least that was the plan however i'm now a bit confused as was convinced it was AF yesterday but almost non-existent today, sorry tmi but usually when she comes there's no doubt but this time she seems to have stopped again and yesterday had strong very right sided pain...i don't think it can be o bleeding as i've never has this before n timing would be off for implantation so thinking to just go ahead and start clomid but a tiny bit worried it could be something other than AF, aahhhhhh!!! Never imagined this would be so difficult to tell what's going on in my body!!

I'd be grateful for any thoughts and wishing u all the best luck with opks, clomid and sticky beans!!
RowtheBoat

Postby Southerngirl419 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:37 am

I must be in the high end!! this is my first month on clomid so my dr suggest i just use the at home OPK, im on day 9 of flashing smiley faces (high ovulation). That seems a little long to me, i thought id have a steady one by now!! im also getting crazy bad headaches and kinda battling an upset stomach occasionally with some cramping idk if thats signs im about to ovulate or what?!

Andrea
[/code]Andrea (Me): 28 PCOS, IC
Husband: 27 Normal

TTC since Jan 2013
Provera to start AF since April 2013

Sept 2013 Clomid 50 mg = BFN
Oct 2013 Clomid 100 mg = BFN
Nov 2013 Clomid 100 mg = BFN
Jan cycle 2014 relaxed cycle = BFN
Feb 2014 Clomid 100 mg = NEG OVULATION
March 2014 Clomid 150 mg = NEG OVULATION
TAC Surgery April 10 2014-TAC placed-IC! ladies if you have IC or a short Cervix i would look into the TAC
May 5 2014 HSG- Tubes Clear
May 2014 menopur 75/150. 1 follie 22x20 Trigger May 9. Progesterone suppositories after cd21
May 23 2014. :bfp: 12DPO beta 37.1 15DPO beta 143

My Ovulation Chart
Southerngirl419
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Sugarplum1922 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:32 pm

My advice--use the clearblue digital ones---they give you a smiley face, or just a plain circle. This is my first month using them, but so far, so good. Whenever I use the strip kind, I seem to always get a positive, or very close to a positive for usually around 2 weeks straight. So far, I started tested around cycle day 6 or 7, and I got all negatives, until cycle day 13 and 14, and now it's back to negative. I think it actually worked!!!!

Good luck!
[b][color=#BF00FF]Me: 26 Dh: 29
TTC #1 with PCOS over 2 years.
BFP!--April 2010
DS born- 12-21-2010

TTC# 2 since 2012
Currently taking-150mg clomid, 1500 mg daily Metformin.
MOTHERS DAY BFP!!!!!!!!! 8DPO!
16 DPO Beta- 589

ImageImage
Sugarplum1922
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Mrs hadaway » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Did you end up taking the clomid? I was using opks at first but kept getting positives then Dr confirmed I had high LH serum to FSH which is common with PCOS but not everyone has the same issue. When I started on clomid I was advised to start using the opks to confirm ovulation but wait 3 days after the last tablet to start using them because the clomid can give false positives which I worked out when I decided to ignore the doctor! Oops. But it went back to negative and then back to a positive which was when I really ovulated (CD14) right on time. Good luck!
Me: 24 PCOS
Dh: 33 no issues
Trying for our first since August 2011
November 2011: 8 months 50 mg Clomid
April 2012: D&C, laparoscopy, hydrotubation, hysteroscopy
August 2012: 3 months 100 mg Clomid
Ovulated each time with no bfp :(

October 2013 trying naturally
Mrs hadaway

Postby RowtheBoat » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:17 am

Hi Mrs H, yes i took the clomid in the end-think it was just a relatively light AF visit (also first one since surgery so figured that might be what affected it). I sort of tried with the opks and had negatives then a positive on cd12 now back to negative cd15 but didn't use them every day (as had convinced myself that they wouldn't work and knew due to work we weren't going to be able to bd all that much over the last week so didn't want to stress myself out too much). Now I'm really kicking myself though as not sure if/exactly when i did O. I was convinced i would O late for some reason and have not had any symptoms so think I'll keep testing in case it goes back to positive :/ unless somehow by a minuscule chance I'm actually in the tww....
How are u all doing, fx for u :hugs:
RowtheBoat

Return to PCOS Support