Vitex or metformin?? Or maybe both??

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Vitex or metformin?? Or maybe both??

Postby Kendra313 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:16 am

Ok so I've just finished reading all these miracle metformin stories and I have to say it all sounds good but is it really so. I have had pcos for as long as I can remember I also suffer w/ obesity. I started taking vitex a month ago in hopes of correcting my irregular cycle (my cycles are usually about 180 days... Yea I know probably the longest you've ever heard) and as of today I'm cd 48 w/ no + opk. I plan to give the vitex until 1/11/14 to work some magic if nothing happens I will induce af w/ progesterone and start on 1700mg of metformin daily. So I guess my question is is metformin really as good as they say, or is vitex really as good as they say? I've taken metformin before and it made me extremely ill but I'm willing to endure for the sake of having a child. What's your take on these meds?
Kendra313
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Vitex or metformin?? Or maybe both??

Postby Kendra313 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:52 am

hello is anyone there???
Kendra313
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby redneckgurl26 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi Kendra. I was dx with pcos November 2012 and was started on 500 mg metformin 2x a day. I was gradually increased to 1000 mg 2x a day. Yes it can make you ill. I started eating 15 to 30 mins before I take it and that helped a lot. It also helps if you gradually up your dose and don't start at a high dose. My cycles went any where from ever 60 to 120 days sometimes longer so I understand where your coming from. I also suffer from obesity. For me it had been about 6 years since my last mc before I got another bfp. Once I started the metformin and took it daily my cycle started straightening out and are averaging 39 days now. I had another mc back in July (got pg in may and was of metformin in June thinking it had stopped working) and recently got another bfp Nov 13th and am currently 7 weeks 2 days. So yes metformin is as good as they say.

The major difference between metformin and vitex is metformin can be taken during the first trimester where vitex can not. Metformin is also known to lessen the chance of miscarriage when continued into the first trimester.

Have you asked your doctor about vitex? I've heard from many women where they were going to try it but their doctors told them not to.
Me - 27
DBF - 32

02-2007 :angel: (blighted ovum)
07-2007 :angel: (baby passed @ 8 weeks)
07-2013 :angel: (baby passed @ 8+4)
12-2013 :angel: (blighted ovum)

My Ovulation Chart
redneckgurl26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kendra313 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi Redneckgurl yes I emailed my doc this a.m. Waiting to get a response now. Also I've read vitex reviews that state that it should be taken through the 1st trimester to help prevent miscarriage b/c it helps build hormones that strengthen the lining of the uterus. But as we know we can't always believe what we see online especially in our ttc journey b/c things seem to be a bit contradictory.
Kendra313
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby redneckgurl26 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:41 am

Kendra - yes i know it says our should be taken during the first tri but at the same time it says not to.

This is from webmd :
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Using vitex agnus-castus during pregnancy or breast-feeding is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. The concern is that vitex agnus-castus can interfere with hormones. Don’t use vitex agnus-castus if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.

Everything I've read says there isn't sufficient evidence to say it prevents miscarriage when taken during the first tri.

Try looking up chasteberry which is another name for vitex. You may get more info.

I know it may seem contradictory about saying met helps prevent mc yet i had one while on it but when i had that mmci had been off meet for a month not knowing i was pregnant and thing it had quit working regulating my cycle. So far all is well with this pregnancy an currently 7 weeks 3 days.

Hope this helps. GL and KUP!

:babydustb: :sticky:
Me - 27
DBF - 32

02-2007 :angel: (blighted ovum)
07-2007 :angel: (baby passed @ 8 weeks)
07-2013 :angel: (baby passed @ 8+4)
12-2013 :angel: (blighted ovum)

My Ovulation Chart
redneckgurl26
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Laci1304 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:09 pm

I think metformin is wonderful I get my cycle every month on my own since starting it. I was sick with the regular metformin so my Dr switched me to metformin er with no side effects! I have had two pregnancies since starting it in 2011. One was a chemical the second was a mc at 6 wks. The last time I got pregnant I wasn't taking the metformin everyday like I should have and was shocked when I found out I was pregnant. I honestly think if I would have been taking it everyday like I should have I could have prevented the miscarriage. But who knows I won't beat myself up about it. So now I'm trying to take the metformin like I should and keeping my fingers crossed!!! So in other words I highly recommend metformin the extended release. I have even lost weight since I started it.
Laci1304
Friend

Postby Kendra313 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks Laci. I'm still on the vitex and will continue to try and regulate myself naturally. However, if I don't get af by 1/11 then to medformin we go.
Kendra313
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Kendra313 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:07 am

So last night I was in my Med Admin class and we were talking about fertility drugs and someone brought up Geritol Complete Multivitamins. When one person said it a bunch of others started chiming in proclaiming that it really works. So I plan to take it along with the metformin next month just to give it a try... ****** FYI it is not recommended to take along w/ prenatal vitamins b/c they both contain iron and it can cause a overdose********
Kendra313
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Kendra313 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:13 am

So I am now taking the metformin and vitex after making sure it would be ok w/ my ob... All I will say at this time is for each of you to keep me lifted up in prayer b/c for lack of better words my stomach has been all to pieces. But I wont complain its just another cross to bare so that I can make it to the goal. What do you do to help w/ the nausea and upset stomach caused by metformin?
Kendra313
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Laci1304 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:02 pm

You can do it it will pass! For the upset stomach and diarrhea I would take imodium especially at work cause I definitely couldn't run to the bathroom all the time. The imodium really helped. I always had some crackers on me too helped with the nausea. You should ask about getting the extended release form of metformin the side effects aren't as bad at all if any! Just make sure you take the med everyday around the same time and try and not forget a dose so it can build up in your system and those nasty side effects will go away. I was so good about taking it for 6 months straight and probably quit having side effect about a month in. I quit taking it like I should have and had to start all over! I hate pills I wish they made it in a tasty liquid drink :)
Laci1304
Friend

Postby Kendra313 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm going to gang in here although the nausea is annoying it's not as bad as my first go round on metformin so got that I'm thankful
Kendra313
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to PCOS Support