Unsure what to do :/

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Unsure what to do :/

Postby SomedayAMommy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:46 am

Okay...so I'm still new to this whole thing and we've been trying for 4 months. I've been using OPKs for 3 months now and the first month they seemed to work well. Got a positive, so we dtd...still nothing. Second cycle it was a bit weird. I worried I got a bad batch of the test strips because the test kept coming up positive, and the control line was non-existent which means its invalid.

So this month seemed to be okay...until I started testing positive after the day I thought I Oed (26th of Jan). So now (after reading up on some things) I've heard that if you have PCOS the OPKs are useless because it just gives positives all the time.

Okay so here's my question(s)...How do you find out what day you ovulate if you can't test for it? I heard about temping...but I'm not sure how that works if you have PCOS and your cycles are really irregular. Does it still work the right way? Any suggestions, advice or comments? (would be greatly appreciated!)
SomedayAMommy
Friend

Re: Unsure what to do :/

Postby Thully_1980 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 am

Hi.

With temping, you'd be able to tell because the temp dips when you release the egg and after O'ing, your temp will rise due to the presence of progesteron...so I think its a much more accurate way of testing for a person like you.

If you are irregular, I think temping should be your thing coz you might think yoy O on a certain date and could be wrong (could O earlier or much later than anticipated)

That was my limited-knowledge response. Hope it helps a bit.
Me - Thully - 34 - Diagnosed with PCOS(because of hormonal imbalance) by gynae in Jan 2014
Dh - Jimmy - 54 - has 4 children from previous marriage (Incl twins)
TTC #1 together, for 16 cycles

My Ovulation Chart
|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Calendar[/url]
Thully_1980
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SomedayAMommy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:40 pm

That was really helpful, actually!...hahahahaha! If they said it like that in the directions I would have been temping months ago! They make it look so complicated (or maybe I'm just really simple, LOL)!!

Thank you again!
<3
SomedayAMommy
Friend

Postby aspasia » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:49 am

Hi,

i have PCOS as well and I've been temping for a while. It works just fine for me and since my cycles were very irregular it really helps me pinpoint the O day. Also i started taking Agnus Castus which helped me regulate my cycles a bit so maybe you should give it a try, it takes approximately 3 months for you to see a difference.

Lot's of baby dust
aspasia
Friend

Postby SomedayAMommy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:56 am

Thank you! Thats definitely something I'm going to try...does it matter when I start temping? Should I wait til my period shows up?
SomedayAMommy
Friend

Postby aspasia » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:11 am

Hi,

i start temping on the last day of af every month because i have read that your temp is all over the place during af.
aspasia
Friend

Postby Thully_1980 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:52 am

Hi aspasia, I never used to temp during af, and would start CD10. Maybe you should try the same or earliest should be CD8
Me - Thully - 34 - Diagnosed with PCOS(because of hormonal imbalance) by gynae in Jan 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Thully_1980
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SomedayAMommy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:01 am

Ok, I can do that...Oh, and do you really have to take it literally before your feet touch the floor?
SomedayAMommy
Friend

Postby Thully_1980 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:34 am

Well, I do.

But I have a friend who keeps hers in the bathroom and her temps look normal and consistent.

But I would recommend you keep your thermometer by your bedside...or under your pillow like some women do.

I take my temp at 04:00 daily and I fall back to sleep for about 45 minutes and then I wake up to start my day.

My Ovulation Chart
Thully_1980
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SomedayAMommy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:20 am

Oh those are really good tips! That might help because I have the thermometer beside my bed, but I have to get up to go write it down (which wakes me up)...maybe if I just keep the thermometer under my pillow (And the paper beside the bed lol) I will remember to take it and then can jot it down. Do they say you have to be sleeping for a certain amount of time before? Should it be like 6 or more hours of uninterrupted sleep? Sorry, I know I'm asking a ton of questions lol.

Thank you! :D I'm so excited to try it now!! (I'm on CD 41 and patiently waiting for af to arrive so I can start again lol)
SomedayAMommy
Friend

Postby Thully_1980 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:41 am

I don't mind all the questions :D...I learnt this temping thing by asking...so I'll share with you as much as I know :)

You have to sleep at least 3 hours uninterrupted sleep, which led me to set my watch for 04:00 coz if its at 04:30, at times I will need to use the bathroom anytime earlier than that, and end up messing the consistency of my temp taking. I never go use the bathroom before 04:00.

For me, I wake up and take my temp, switch it off and fall back to sleep...then when I wake up and turn on my thermometer, I can be able to see the temp I took in the morning. I don't record it same time. My one, and maybe yours is like that too, when you turn it on, it shows the previous reading, before showing room temperature and then allowing you to record yours. But if you click it on and off...the 3rd time the reading will be gone...so its best to take temp (I even do it in the dark half-asleep), once it beeps, switch it off...then once you wake up, check your reading.

At times I'd be so busy in the morning, I'd take it to work so I can see my temp, punch it on FF :)

Hope this helps.

My Ovulation Chart
Thully_1980
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SomedayAMommy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Thank you Thully!! And I've been trying it for two days now and its been working! You're a life saver!! Thanks again! (hahaha oh no, you shouldn't have offered. Fair warning--I will be coming to you for questions!! lolol)
SomedayAMommy
Friend

Postby Thully_1980 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 am

:D

Hi Someday, hope all is going well with you and you are finding temping to be a JOY :mrgreen:

My Ovulation Chart
Thully_1980
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SomedayAMommy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Actually I AM! And it is REALLY interesting!! I'm finally (slowly) answering questions about myself...however, I have another question if you don't mind! First--(again, if the question is too personal please don't feel like you have to answer) have you ever had a cyst burst from the PCOS? I have, so I thought I would know the difference. And now I'm kind of confused because I'm fairly certain I O'ed yesterday/last night (and we made sure to BD last night) I thought I was feeling the pain of ovulation (it just felt like period cramps at first) but now as the day has continued, the pains have gotten worse...Do you know if ovulation ever feels like a cyst bursting? I've never paid attention to whether or not I felt my ovulation because I never cared...but now that I'm actually paying attention to my body I don't know how to tell the difference.
SomedayAMommy
Friend

Postby Thully_1980 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 am

Hi Someday

So sorry for the late response... been MIA from this site.

Unfortunately I'm one of those that don't feel their ovulation... so I can't give you exactly how it feels like. And I've never had a cyst burst at all... sorry I couldn't be of help.

My O this cycle confused me too. On Friday if the 18th I had the painfullest boons and I was so sure that I was O'ing...but FF seems to think I only O'd 3 days ago. These things are confusing :doh:

My Ovulation Chart
Thully_1980
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to PCOS Support