Did Metformin do nothing for anyone?

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Did Metformin do nothing for anyone?

Postby weloveyoualready » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Hey ladies - I had normal blood test results but because of other symptoms the doctor diagnosed me with PCOS and put me on metformin. I'm going on my third month and basically see no changes. What is supposed to be happening?

I was and still am ovulating around day 22, haven't lost any weight, am still hungry, etc.
Me (32) Hubby (34) - Together since 2006, Married 2013

April 2014 - Chemical at 5 weeks
May 2014 - Diagnosed with PCOS, put on metformin and progesterone.
June 2014 - HSG, normal - THANK GOD!
October 2014 - Clomid, cycle #1, bfn
October 2014 - Hubby's sperm count is 400,000. Appt. with urologist but ready to begin IVF in January

"It had to happen this way"
weloveyoualready
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Re: Did Metformin do nothing for anyone?

Postby OCD2ww » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:43 am

Hello!

I also have PCOS, diagnosed 2010. My doctor put me on Metformin, Clomid, and progesterone. The progesterone set my cycles back on track, and then I was done with it. The Metformin is a little less obvious of an effect. From what I've come to understand, it affects the ammonia in your cycle. My doctor kept me on it when I was pregnant with my first child, and I took it until after I had my son. Just recently I started TTC again, and now I'm back on Metformin. It's actually a medicine more conventionally used to treat diabetes, and if you list it on your taken medications for some other sort of medical visit, you may need to explain that you have PCOS, not diabetes.

I guess the short answer is that Metformin doesn't do anything that you'll necessarily notice, but it's still doing its job.

- Joann
Me: 32 years old DH: 37 years old
DS: Born Feb. 6, 2012
TTC #2: No BC since March 2013, seriously trying since April 2014.
I have PCOS. I'm taking Metformin 1000g/day & Clomid 100g/day (on CD 1-5)
Cycles: 28-29 days
OCD2ww
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to PCOS Support