PCOS diagnosis

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

PCOS diagnosis

Postby becky88 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:44 am

Hi everyone,
My doc believes I have pcos and I was wondering if you all had any thoughts/tips? My husband and I have been ttc since October last year. We had a chemical pg in December and a blighted ovum in February (I was 8 weeks along when I mc-ed). Now my AF is not the same as before the mc so I went to the ob. I had an u/s and they found greater than 20 follicles on my right ovary and not as many but still a significant number on the left. I'm having more blood work done (a1c and testosterone among others) and haven't gotten the results yet. But the dr thinks I have pcos and is putting me on metformin. My AF comes about every 31 days so that's regular but she said the cysts are kind of a telltale sign. What do you guys think?
becky88
Friend

Re: PCOS diagnosis

Postby laomy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:17 pm

I had pretty regular periods but had pcos anyway. my diagnosis was because my testosterone was too high, also had acne and polycystic ovaries... also had low progesterone during luteal phase. Are you overweight? I am not, so I didnt think I had pcos at first, but you can be a normal weight and still have it.

the metformin will reduce insulin levels in your blood, which will help reduce the high androgens if you have it. The reduction of excess androgens will help normalize the other hormones and will hopefully give better ovulation each month. Since you got pregnant recently, I would say the pcos isnt too severe, but maybe your progesterone is low, and that could cause a m/c.

The best thing to do for pcos is to make sure to exercise and eat a diet that is similar to the south beach diet (phase II if you're not overweight, otherwise do phase I if you want to lose weight). You want to keep insulin levels low, so eat food that digests slowly like whole grains and lean protein.

Also, avoid soy since that can mess things up since it acts like estrogen.

Clomid or Femara can really help to get ovulation on track too. My obgyn says Femara is better for people with PCOS since there are fewer side effects.

good luck :)
Me and DH both 33 years old, TTC#1

laomy
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby becky88 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Hi laomy,
Thanks for the advice! I am considered "overweight" but only by like 10 lbs and the dr never mentions it. I try to work out and eat whole grains since diabetes runs in my family but I know I slip up on that a lot so I'm for sure going to try to eat more healthy! You're probably right about the progesterone but my dr said she only likes to change one thing at a time so she said she would add progesterone in a few months after we see how the metformin is doing. I didn't even think about soy being a problem! Thanks again for posting I appreciate as much info on this as possible. There doesn't seem to be a lot that is known definitively about pcos.
becky88
Friend

Postby laomy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:15 am

I was about 10lbs heavier than I wanted to be (I was on the border of "normal" BMI and "overweight" BMI) for the past year or two, and in the past few months since I have been taking Femara and ovulating normally, I have easily lost those 10lbs, like without even really trying. So, I think for me, the extra lbs were due to the hormone imbalance of my pcos. Also, my skin has totally cleared up too (acne was kinda bad). I haven't had my testosterone tested since January but I can only assume it has gone down. I know that my progesterone has gone up, without having to take a Rx for progesterone because I had that tested a couple months after starting Femara.

I agree, you dont want to start too many things at once since you wont know what each thing is doing.. I've never taken metformin, but if I dont get a BFP in the next couple months (I'm on cycle 20 TTC :( and cycle 6 of Femara) I will go to an RE and see if they think it will help.

One thing I did have a revelation about recently though -- ever since being an adult, I've had mild hypertension. None of my doctors/cardiologists knew why so they called it "essential hypertension" and just treated me with a beta blocker. I was on Atenolol for about 6 years. Turns out that Atenolol can cause insulin resistance with long term use. I know insulin resistance can up the production of free-Testosterone, and that can cause PCOS symptoms. So, for me, I think that is likely why I have PCOS. But, I have been off the Atenolol for about a year, and was switched to a newer beta blocker that doesnt cause insulin resistance (bisoprolol). Although, my obgyn doesn't want me on any meds, ideally, so, I have been weaning off. I'm just taking 1/2 my dose and my blood pressure is still controlled. But, its very difficult to wean off of a beta blocker because stopping cold turkey can be dangerous.

Anyway, I had no idea about BP meds, but just goes to show that there might be a contributing factor to PCOS that might not get picked up by your doctor or obgyn.
Me and DH both 33 years old, TTC#1

laomy
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Return to PCOS Support