Newly Diagnosed PCOS, TTC since 2012, Advice?!

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Newly Diagnosed PCOS, TTC since 2012, Advice?!

Postby amc318 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:00 am

Hello all!

I am new to this website, and am so glad I've found somewhere I can talk about this stuff cause I have nobody to talk to in real life about this stuff besides my doctor and DH who just listens...he doesn't understand most of what I am saying haha. I am also 25 yr old in case anyone was wondering. I have been TTC #1 since November 2012.

Anyways, I was diagnosed with mild PCOS in mid June 2014 -- I'd have to ask my doctor about it again to remember exactly what she had said (i was told over a very quick phone call by the assistant when the results came in so all the info she told me didn't stick 100% lol go me) but if I remember correctly she said that my bloodwork was pretty much normal -- only thing is that I have an elevated level of testosterone which is the most reasonable cause for my pcos-like symptoms. I never had an ultrasound to see if I actually have cysts, maybe she'll do that later.

My obgyn told me to start doing low-carb (i'm techincally obese..meh) and she also put me on Metformin (1500mg/day). I have lost about 10lb's so far on the metformin, and could have probably lost more but I haven't been so good with the low-carb on this second month of metformin.

The first month on metformin, I had a 28 day cycle and was thrilled! Before they've been anywhere from 28-38 days or so...sometimes longer. This month is my second month on metformin, and I am a bit disappointed cause I am currently on CD38...had a very light spotting only when I wiped about 8 days ago but nothing since that one instance.

I have not yet taken a preg test, I bought some earlier today and am waiting for a good pee before I try it lol.

I guess I am posting all this cause I am just feeling a bit discouraged at this cycle. I mean -- I could be preggers...i have had some sore nipples (but that could also be cause I was messing with them and probably made them kinda sore), and I have also gotten sick several times this month in the morning (but that could also be cause I forgot to take my metformin until like 10-11pm so when I woke up I could have still been feeling some nausea from the meds).

But I also know that for the past several cycles (i should have taken better notes) but I haven't had much lining come out when my period has come...so along with my PCOS, acne, lack of concentration (hence the phone call about my diagnosis...prime example haha), and many other symptoms I feel I might also have low progesterone. I am not sure if they tested that on the last bloodwork but I will need to ask her when I have my follow up appt in Sept.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts/advice is appreciated!

Also, I'll let you know what I find out when I take the test :)

Thanks in advance!!!!
Me: 25
DH: 30
~TTC #1 since November 2012

--Metformin (1500mg/day)

12/2012: chemical pregnancy
6/2014: PCOS official diagnosis -- DR Rx'd Metformin
8/27/2014: BFP!!!! I'm In Shock!

amc318

Re: Newly Diagnosed PCOS, TTC since 2012, Advice?!

Postby bluenoser » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:38 am

I don't really have any advice for you, as I'm newly diagnosed as well and am trying to figure all this out. I just wanted to wish you luck and hope you get your bfp soon!
Me: 36
DH: 34
Stepdaughter: 11
Stepson: 9

dreamingoftwopinklines.blogspot.ca
bluenoser
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby amc318 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:40 am

Ok, so I took a test this morning with FMU and it was negative.

I thought I might have seen a very very very faint line, but I think it was just my eye catching the dye of where the other line was supposed to show up...i don't think there was actually a line there.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ...... i really just wish i'd get AF so it's just over with....this crap is so frustrating!

More importantly though, I think when stuff like this happens it reminds me of what I know I should do to help my chances. I need to lose about 60 pounds, so I know that the weight is probably the main reason behind all of my issues. I never had these kinds of cycle issues back when I was a healthy weight, I had my period pretty much on time every month, it would be predictably heavy for the first 4 days or so then taper off until the 7th day and be over.

Now, it usually still happens but the number of days in my cycle always varies -- up to 10 days sometimes -- and I also might bleed more one time than the next. I don't recall seeing any lining really either when I used to definitely know I had lining come out when my periods were more normal and on time back when I was healthier.

...so I just need to get my booty off the couch and workout as well as continue my low-carb!

Maybe next month, I chose to be positive! :)

--Metformin (1500mg/day)

amc318

Postby Kaylewis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:52 pm

I just wanted to tell you not to give up hope Hun and take your doctors advice, I was always pretty petite growing up but my weight could fluctuate, I remained small in high school but in 2009 my boyfriend and I moved in together and we stopped eating healthy and partying every weekend I went from 5 ft (125 lbs) to 5ft and 180lbs, suddenly my period stoppe for 5 months straight I went to my female doctor and she told me I had pcos at 20 years old and to lose weight and come back for metformin when I wanted to get pregnant, this was in May 2009. Well long story short I worked my butt of that summer and list 40lbs my period returned in September 09 and I got pregnant with my now 4 year old son in October which was a surprise cause we weren't trying and I was on birth control pills, Aftee he was born I had the mirena for a few years and never got periods with it, however since it's removal in sept 2013 I've kept my weight down to my high school weight and have no pcos what so ever, my cycles are normal every 28to 31 days with a 13 day lp like clockwork. I even conceived again though it ended in miscarraige, so just follow your doctors advice and don't lose hope.
Kaylewis

Postby Kaylewis » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Sorry for the typos I'm on my phone and it has a mind of it's own no matter how much I correct it
Kaylewis

Postby amc318 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:34 am

Thank you for the reply, Kaylewis!!!

And no worries about any typos, my phone does that all the time -- i hate it! lol

But your story definitely sounds a lot like mine, and I have faith that losing weight will be the biggest factor for me considering not having all these issues when I was at a healthier weight.

I have about 60 pounds to lose to get back to where I was when me and DH got together....and if it's by working out I'm sure I'll look a lot better too. I was that like 'skinny fat' back in the day, I had no definition at all so I felt like I was still fat....oh man, if I only then what I know now... haha :doh:

Anyways, thanks again for the reply! And congrats! :mrgreen:

--Metformin (1500mg/day)

amc318

Postby amc318 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:56 am

I have some lovely news!

I got my BFP this morning totally unexpectedly -- I had one POAS test left so I figured what the hell..and took it -- BFP right away!

Im going to get a digital one later today that says how far along it might be, but from my calculations I think I'd be right around 8 weeks.

Baby dust to everyone!!!

--Metformin (1500mg/day)

amc318

Return to PCOS Support