When to test??

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

When to test??

Postby Trying4our1st » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:45 am

Hi Ladies

I have been diagnosed with PCOS- last month I had a chemical pregnancy after a 77 day cycle. Other cycles have been 28 days. Two at 34 days, two at 44 days and one at 55- so my question is when do you usually test? I know they say after your longest cycle but that is 77 days!! I hate testing too early and getting bfn but I would also rather know sooner if it is good news!!

I am now on cd22- am feeling a few symptoms but it could be my mind playing tricks with me ;)

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Trying4our1st
Friend

Re: When to test??

Postby BeeCee33 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:28 am

Just today I was looking up information on how long a fertilized egg can live without implanting. The general consensus seems to be 12 days. So, at the latest, your fertilized egg would implant about 12 days after ovulation. Usually within 3-5 days of implantation, you can get a fairly accurate result. There are of course factors at play (like your resting hcg level) that can affect when you will see a positive test, but I'd say by 17 dpo you should be able to get a positive test. On the early side, a positive would show around maybe 9dpo.

Now all of this is assuming you have some way of knowing when you ovulated. Are you charting your basal body temperature? That is the easiest way to confirm ovulation, but by the time you see a thermal shift, ovulation has already occurred, so it's too late to start trying that cycle. OPKs are the best way to tell at home that your body is gearing up to ovulate.

I'm sorry to hear about your chemical pregnancy. :( I understand that using OPKs on a super long cycle would be very draining. I guess if I were in your position I would do the following:
1. Track my bbt
2. Watch for indications of ovulation such as ewcm and an open cervix, when you notice these, take an OPK. Hopefully it will be positive, but even if it's not, BD!
3. BD regularly. Keeping your man's swimmers moving on a regular basis means healthier sperm. They recommend every other day, but that gets taxing after a while! My hubby and I BD'd one or two days on, one or two days off from AF to O this cycle, and I just got my BFP a couple of days ago. I think the frequent BDing is what did it, not just during the fertile window, but leading up to it.

Hopefully you don't need this advice and the symptoms you're feeling turn out to be a BFP for this cycle! Good luck!
Me (Becca): 31 DH:36

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Trying4our1st » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi Beecee

Thank you so much for your reply. I am sorry for the late response- I hadn't turned on the email reply.

I tested today and think I got my faint bfp! I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I will definately be following your advice for testing- I think I need to start tracking ovulation going forward.

Xxx
Trying4our1st
Friend

Postby BeeCee33 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:53 am

Sorry, I haven't been on these boards for a few days so I didn't see your reply. I hope that faint bfp turned into a nice solid one!
FYI, if you click on "view your posts" on the banner at the top of the page, you can see every thread you have posted on and who the last person was to reply to that post. That way you don't have to turn on the email replies, but you can still check back on things you've posted. :)
Me (Becca): 31 DH:36

BFP Feb 20, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

BFP June 2, 2017 :angel: mc @ 5 weeks

Henry James born 7/27/15

My Ovulation Chart
BeeCee33
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to PCOS Support