Metformin

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Re: Metformin

Postby babydust530 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:33 am

Red, you are prob getting lower temps because you take your temp earlier in the day. I take my temp at 7:30am so my coverline tends to be higher, but the few times I woke up earlier and temped my temps were def lower. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I hope you get that temperature shift soon!
Me: 32
DH: 32
Our little girl is 17-months old (born Oct. 2015)
BFP on 4/5/17 (est. due date 12/18/17)
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby redmeetsfood » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks, babydust! Fingers crossed!
31, Married Feb 2014
TTC since March 2014
Diagnosed w/ PCOS Sept 2014
Metformin since Sept 2014
redmeetsfood

Postby kflores31 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Hey ladies I know its been a while since we have touched base! Just wanted to update you and tell you that I finally ovulated!! The Metformin finally kicked in and did its job! I ovulated on CD55. You ladies taking it that haven't ovulated yet on it, may I ask how you are taking the pills? all three at one time or one pill three times a day at different times? Cause I was taking them all at once at night time, and about two weeks ago I decided to start taking them at three different times a day. Maybe that is what made the difference, cause then the meds would be in my system all day long, instead of just a bunch at night time? Not sure... but wanted to share with you ladies! Any updates??
Me: 25 | DH: 26
Nov 2014: Dx PCOS
Jan 2015: 1500mg Metformin
6/14/15: BFP :)

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alwaysherebefore » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:34 pm

Glad to hear you ovulated! Hooray!! I used to be great at remembering the met in the morning and evening but lately I've been slacking. Like when I get home from work and bed time. I had another + opk this cycle so here's to hoping it was right and not a trick like last time!!
30, married Oct 2012
TTC since Oct 2013
Diagnosed with PCOS Aug 2014
Alwaysherebefore
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Jzscott » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi sorry to just pop in! I'm all over the place on these boards and keep forgetting where I've posted.

Kflores, im glad to hear Metformin has helped you to ovulate! When will you start testing?? I have no idea if Metformin is working for me because I am also taking Clomid but I can tell you i have no side effects. I take one in the morning with breakfast and 2 in the evening with dinner.

I'm pretty sure I ovulated on either cd 19 or 21. I got a positive OPK cd 19 but AF came 16 days after my positive OPK which maybe meant that ovulation day was the 21st??? But my 21 day progesterone was only a 2 meaning I didn't ovulate. So I'm super confused.

Normally my cycles are 70+ days with ovulation, if at all, in the 50-60 day range so having it on the 19-21st and AF showing up on cd 35 is like some kind of miracle!

I hope this month is lucky for us all and we will see some bfps!
J&M <3
DS: 12/15/15
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:09 am

Hi Jzscott, welcome back! I float from board to board too! I probably won't test at all this cycle because unfortunately my BDing doesn't add up, and my DH was out of down when I ovualted. Of course when my body finally decides to ovulate, its when he's gone! We only BD'ed two days after O, so I know that is too far past O for it to work. I'm just more anxious to start AF and be on to my next cycle and see if I O on time or late or O at all!

Thats really weird that the progesterone test said you didn't ovulate, but you had your period? Do you temp at all to confirm O? For me, it would make no sense to me if I felt cramps, saw a temp spike and sustained high temps after "o" and then started a period 14-16 days later to then find out I never actually O'd at all?!?!? That sounds so weird to me! I know that low progesterone is a problem for many women and they need supplements to help keep the progesterone high or else a misscarriage can happy in early pregnancy.

GL on Clomid, thats great you don't have any side effects!!

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi Kflores, I guess I do have side effects of metformin I just wasn't adding it up to metformin until I did a little research. I've been having crazy food aversions, mostly to meat, so bad that most of the time I gag at the thought. I thought my taste buds were just changing but I think metformin may be to blame.

I'm so confused about the progesterone test and being told I didn't ovulate. If I just had a positive OPK, I would be like, okay... sometimes you can gear up but not actually release an egg. But I had pretty strong cramps and kept feeling sharp pains on my left side. It definitely felt like I ovulated. And then to get my period, which never happens, just makes me think even more that I ovulated. This time I'm going to wait to start AF before starting clomid again, just in case. If I don't start within 14 days of when I think I ovulated and have a negative test I'll go ahead and start again.

I'm sorry your husband was gone during ovulation! Maybe you ovulated just a couple days later and could still have made it in time! We can always hope :) When is AF due?
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:16 am

I have had some food adversions from Metformin also and to be honest I really don't eat as much as I use to. I find that i'm just not that hungry and I never really finish my plate of food. Sometimes coffee makes me gag, which is sad becuase I love my morning coffee! I'm also not that keen into alcohol anymore. I have to force down a glass of wine now if I want it. So, I don't find myself drinking that much, which is good anyways!

Hmm, I know i've heard of people getting pos OPK's and it really only being a surge, but since you did get a period after that would make me think that you did in fact ovulate. Maybe your body just has a hard time producing progesterone and so when you had your 21 day draw, it was really really low? I would really reccomend tracking BBT. It has been a life savor for me. It was the only way I knew I had ovulated because I saw the temp shift and then remain elevated! Its super easy to do, I set my alarm to go off at 5am (when DH gets up) and I take my temp real quick, then go back to bed. The thermometer has a setting on it so that when I wake up later I can just press the button again and it will tell me what the last temp was so I can record it in my app. Maybe think about it?

I'm 9dpo today. Since this is my first ever natural cycle off the pill, I have no clue what my leutal phase is so I'm not quite sure when to expect AF. Maybe sometime this weekend?

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:02 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting weird side effects of metformin. Some days it's pretty awful and then other days I'm totally fine and my dose stays the same so I don't understand why. The other day my husband took me out for sushi which I LOVE and I couldn't eat more than a few pieces and I had to force them down with water. I ended up just having some edamame and miso soup and I could barely handle those. I have noticed I don't crave anything as much and because I'm never really in the mood to eat at least I'm not gaining any weight. Like you, coffee and alcohol don't seem to like me anymore. They both make me gag. Even water sometimes. Ive started drinking Gatorade because it never makes me feel sick and at least I'll stay hydrated. Just wish I didn't feel nauseous all the time.

My day 21 was only a 2. But I got my period exactly 14 days after my day 21 test and 16 days after my positive opk so I think I may have ovulated the day they tested and thats why it was so low. But this time if my day 21 levels are low and I got a positive opk I'm not gping to jump right into more clomid I'm going to wait and see if AF comes. If it doesn't come within 14-16 days after I think I ovulated and I have a negative HPT then I'll start clomid again. Maybe I just had a very weak ovulation. Although it didn't feel weak.

I'm glad temping is so easy for you. I want to start I just don't know when I should. I'm already bad at remembering opks I think I would forget temping and just mess myself up. If I keep being told I'm not ovulating but I'm getting positive opks and feeling ovulation pains I think I'll have to start temping just to see what's going on.

Hopefully AF comes soon so you can get your next cycle started! Or I hope you're pregnant and don't get AF! Wouldn't that be an exciting treat?! :)
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:25 am

Yeah, Metformin still gets to me sometimes too. I'll be fine for a few days, then randomly one day I will have really bad diarrhea. I really think it has to do with what I eat also. If I eat bad and have greasy or fatty foods, it messes with my stomach. I never really feel nauseous. Only time that happened was when I had the flu and didn't take my meds for a few days and when I started back up with my full dose it was really bad. I felt nauseous for 3 days straight. Thank God that finally went away! All in all, its all worth it to me because I know its working! I started AF today, which is 15dpo. I'm so happy that the Metformin worked to help me ovulate on my own and now have my first period! Now on to my next cycle!

I was hesitant on temping just like you. Another girl on this site kept pushing me just to try it, and now i'm hooked! I know, for me at least, with pcos OPK's don't work as well because I already have elevated LH in my system. So, I depend on my bbt to show when I ovulate. And i'll just have to BD a lot during what I think will be my fertile window. After a few cycles of bbt, I can hopefully see a pattern and then be able to time BD better.

I see you are on your 3rd round of clomid this month, wishing you good luck and babydust!!!

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:36 am

Metformin is a tricky drug. For some reason healthy food seems to hate me on metformin but I can't get enough hamburgers and French fries... And cereal and chocolate milk. Weird.

I'm glad you started your period and it was a pretty regular cycle? Are you going to try naturally this cycle or are you doing anything to help it along? I am on round 3 but technically round two because i started my period only 4 days after my last pill in the 2nd round and didn't even have a chance to see if it worked or not. Oh well. I'm so hopeful that this month will work! My husband and I are going to bd like crazy and I don't care how exhausted either of us get!! I'll still do opks just to see if it gets positive but I don't want to miss an opportune chance. But if for some reason it doesn't work I'm headed to amazon to get a bbt. Maybe you can help me get started!

I hope you have another "regular" cycle this time around and ovulate when you expect. Maybe we will be due around the same time :)
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:49 am

You know, now that you mention it, sometimes healthy foods can do it to me too. One night I had a spinach salad and was TORE up! So I guess it all depends and we never really know when the meds are going to make us sick!

This cycle was not regular, but thats because it was my first cycle taking Metformin. I started taking Metformin on CD4 and I finally ovulated on CD55. Today is 15DPO/CD1. I'm hoping for a normal AF. This will be my first real AF in over 10 years (was on bcp). Thats a bummer that you cycles got so messed up! What a waste of a round of clomid! I have a scheduled doctor appt for the 23rd of this month. We had discussed at my last appt in December that if the Metformin didn't work in the three months taking it that she would start me on Clomid. But, now that the metformin did in fact work for me, I'm a little hesitant now on taking it. I'd prefer to go the natural route and not have to take Clomid. I hope the Metformin continues to work for me and hopefully ovulate on my own again. Only time will tell!

If you need help/advice with bbt, i'm definitely here for you! This is the one I use that I got from amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-524560-Ba ... er+nexcare

A few of my friends have bought the same one and use it too.

What cycle day are you/dpo are you right now?

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:10 am

I guess that isnt a very regular cycle but I'm glad metformin is helping! My cycles sound the same as yours although I was never on any kind of bc. Do you normally have a heavy/medium/light flow? I was always told that it should be super heavy if you hadn't had your period in a while but even after going 3 months with nothing my periods were really light and only lasted a few days. Right now I'm cd 12 waiting to ovulate. I started opks today and I really hope they catch my surge, if I do.

Thank you for the suggestion on bbt. I will definitely get that one and see how it goes. I'm sure my husband will think I'm insane! He already doesn't like opks.
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:32 pm

It's hard to say what is "normal" for my body as I have no clue! I only know what was normal for me on the pill, which was a relatively heavy flow for 5-6 days. Since coming off the pill I had a few periods in the months following and they were on the light/medium side and for 4-5 days. After those few cycles, I had nothing. So, i'm not sure what to expect with my first REAL period from ovulating! I did induce a period back late Nov/early December with provera. So it hasn't been too long since I have bled. So far, this period is seeming similar to what I would have while I was on the pill.

I know everyone's body is different so I wouldn't get too worried about your periods being too light. Have you talked to your doctor about it? Maybe its because your lining isn't producing enough thus when you have a period, not much comes out?

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Hopefully you'll be able to determine what's regular for you once your body gets used to not being on the pill anymore. Every time I'm at the doctor I forget to ask about it but I have read that it may have something to do with my lining not being thick enough. I'll have to ask next time I go in and see what he says. I hope it's not an issue
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to PCOS Support