Metformin

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: Metformin

Postby kflores31 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Yeah I know that the thickness of the lining is very important especially for implantation! Have you had your hormone levels checked? its amazing how much I've found that hormones do to our bodies!
Me: 25 | DH: 26
Nov 2014: Dx PCOS
Jan 2015: 1500mg Metformin
6/14/15: BFP :)

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 pm

I have had my hormone levels checked but honestly I don't know which ones and I don't know my levels. My doctor is TERRIBLE at giving my results. I never get called with blood work results and when I'm in person and ask for them my chart isn't even with him so he just says everything looks "normal". I'm like... Okay. I asked if I had pcos and he said based on my symptoms there weren't enough to diagnose me but he still prescribed Metformin, literally as I was walking out the door.

Have you had yours tested? Do you know which ones and if they're normal?
J&M <3
DS: 12/15/15
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:44 am

I'm sorry your doctor is so terrible at relaying information to you. I feel blessed to have such a great doctor. She calls me the moment my results come in whether they are blood tests, ultrasound, or mri. I think sometimes we just need to be a little more stern with doctors. I know that when it comes to pcos it can be a little tricky to diagnose. I had textbook symptoms so before my doctor even got my blood test results and ultrasound results back she already told me that she was 99% positive thats what I have. BUT there is another girl on this site that I have been talking with since last August and she did not have textbook symptoms and her doctor told her he thinks she did not have pcos, but still prescribed her Metformin (sounds just like you). Next appointment, she pushed to get another blood test and ultrasound done. The blood test and ultrasound proved otherwise, she DOES have pcos. Some people have polycystic ovaries and some do not. She happened to have them, as do I, and it showed on the ultrasound she got. Her hormones levels were also off, and were signs of pcos as well. The main hormones connected with pcos are LH and FSH. In a normal functioning body the LH and FSH should have a ratio of about 1:1. Mine is about 3:1! My FSH was 4.2 and my LH was 14.9. Having those numbers off by so much is what restricts your body to ovulate. Since I know that I did ovulate this last cycle, I know that the Metformin is helping regulate my hormones. Whether you have pcos or not, the Metformin wouldn't hurt to try so i'm glad your docotor has you on that. I know that Metformin plus Clomid can be a really successful combo in achieving pregnancy.

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:40 am

I'm the girl kflores is referring to :). Yes, kflores is completely correct. That's exactly what happened to me. I kept insisting I had PCO because I knew I wasn't ovulating and my doctor kept telling me its "highly unlikely" because I did not have any of the "typical" physical PCO symptoms, my testosterone was a little elevated, and when I did an ultrasound in August my ovaries looked great and clear of any cysts. Finally, I went for another ultrasound in December (just 4 months later) and both ovaries had multiple little cysts. My doctor did prescribe metfomin 1 week before I got the officially diagnosis. He explained to me metfomin has helped women who have/and don't have PCO ovulate. I started taking metfomin in December, in January I ovulated for the first time in years, and February (the second cycle I ovulate got my bfp). I did get an ultrasound last week and my ovaries were still filled with polycysts, but I was told that it's normal for that to happen throughout pregnancy for women with PCO.
I was very hesitant to start metfomin, but I'm so glad I did. I owe my bfp to metfomin and a change in my diet (reduced alcohol, sugar and white flour; and ate as organic as possible).
Me: 32
DH: 32
Our little girl is 17-months old (born Oct. 2015)
BFP on 4/5/17 (est. due date 12/18/17)
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:21 am

Oh that's great! I mean that Metformin is working and that you both know what's not working for you. It sucks that you have pcos. My ultrasound didn't show any cysts and I don't really have any symptoms so that's why they say I don't have it. But I have no idea what my FSH and LH are because they didn't give me my results. Kflores I really hope this month you ovulate and get your BFP. I'm so glad that you're having good results with Metformin!

Babydust, I can't believe Metformin made you ovulate so quickly and you got your BFP on cycle 2! I'm glad that cysts are normal and nothing to worry about. What day did you ovulate? How many weeks are you now?
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:13 am

The first cycle I ovulated wasn't until CD50 something. The cycle I conceived I ovulated on CD13. I'm about 6 weeks along, but still waiting for the doctor to confirm its a viable pregnancy. I have an ultrasound on Friday that I'm freaking out about, which will confirm whether or not they see a heartbeat.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Babydust, I hope everything goes well at your first ultrasound. Fingers crossed that you get to hear the heartbeat and see a tiny bean in there!
My first pregnancy I ovulated around CD 70. I'm wondering if the late ovulation caused it to be an unhealthy egg and that's why I miscarried. Ovulation on CD 13 sounds so much better! I'm on CD 19 right now but still no sign of ovulation yet. I do have ewcm since yesterday so I hope it will come in the next few days.
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:11 am

Thank you so much for the well wishes!
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Jzscott, any update on your cycle? Did the Clomid work for you this round?

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 pm

I had a progesterone check last Thursday but have yet to get the results. My doctors office is very bad at giving me my blood results unless I call and basically beg so no surprise there. I'm pretty sure I ovulated 2 days after that test though so I'm almost positive it will show very low progesterone. Normally my cycles are super long and I don't ovulate at all so if I did ovulate when I think I did (cd 23) then I guess Clomid worked!

I'm currently 4dpo and just living life, trying not to get too worked up about the whole pregnancy thing. If it happens, great! If not, I'll keep trying. I'm not feeling much of anything, except my lower abdomen feels like ive been doing a bunch of crunches, which I haven't been. My nipples have also been erect since 1dpo and kind of tender, and my cm went from being ewcm to creamy. I know its too soon for pregnancy symptoms though but I'm hoping these means I've at least ovulated.

Enough about me, how is everything with you? Any crazy symptoms?
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:35 am

That's a long time to wait for results! I would be calling the office every day haha! Thats awesome that you think you finally ovulated. Did you have any symtoms to make you think you did?? That's great that you are keeping busy and not thinking about it much, it will help the tww go faster!

Not much going on with me. CD16 today and hoping to ovulate any day now, just waiting for my temp to spike. I feel like the waiting time to ovulate is worse than the tww!

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:44 am

I hope you ovulate soon! Waiting is really the worst. Waiting to ovulate and then waiting to test for pregnancy or waiting for AF to show up.

The couple days before ovulation I had cramps on both sides and my lower back was hurting. I always figured that the cramps meant ovulation was that day, but I didn't get a positive OPK until the 2nd day of cramping, then the cramping completely went away and the day I ovulated I saw a huge glob of EWCM and by the next day it had turned to creamy. My nipples also became permanently erect and sore. They are less sore now than they were but hopefully that doesn't mean too much.
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:54 am

Great signs! When I ovulated last month, I felt cramping on both sides and an increased sex drive. Then two days later I ovulated, but no real signs that day. The day after my lower back was killing me and my nipples were super sensitive. That lasted a few days, then went away. I never got a positive OPK. I know that women with pcos always have higher LH in their system, so I think it messes with OPKs. All of my OPKs so far this cycle have been negative also.

I've been trying to keep an eye out for the cramping this time around, but now I feel like i'm symptom spotting and my "cramps" are probably just gas pains or something!

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm surprised I got a positive on an OPK. It was actually positive for two days, maybe longer, but I ran out of opks so I had to stop testing.

I feel like Im symptom spotting as well even though there isn't any way for pregnancy symptoms to be happening because I'm only 6dpo. I can't wait to be at 10dpo+ although I wish it were on a weekend so if I test and its negative I have a chance to cry it out before work.
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:00 am

Oh thats great about the pos OPKs! What dpo are you now? Have you tested at all yet?? Fingers crossed for you! I still haven't ovulated yet. CD21 today. Really hoping it happens soon!

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to PCOS Support