Metformin

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Re: Metformin

Postby kflores31 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Its so crazy to me how the female body works/doesn't work! I'm sorry you have such crazy cycles! It just makes me sad that us girls here trying so hard to have a baby and doing all the right things, to no avail. I hope we all get to see bfp's in the near future :)

I'm a newbie at temping so I don't know too much about it. I seem to be getting the hang of it. I have no problem waking up with DH to take my temp then going back to sleep till my alarm goes off. It works out pretty nice. But, I haven't seen ovulation yet. Its so exciting for me to see babydust's chart and elevating temp! Hoping it is O! I hope that after a month or so of Met, I have the same response. Maybe because we have the "skinny" pcos, the Met will have a quicker effect on us? Considering we don't necessarily need to lose a bunch of weight?

I also have used some OPK's but because my LH is elevated because of my pcos, it makes OPK's frustrating cause there is always a second line.
Me: 25 | DH: 26
Nov 2014: Dx PCOS
Jan 2015: 1500mg Metformin
6/14/15: BFP :)

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:03 pm

I have heard that having pcos makes opks not work. I didn't know it was because of high LH. im so curious to see what an OPK would like like for me but I'm just scared to waste money for it to not show me anything.

One of my high school acquaintances has been trying to have a baby for 6 years and has pcos and she is now 11 weeks with her first! It's so exciting but at the same time, 6 years!! I wont be able to handle that.

Have you guys done IUI's or anything or are you just sticking with Metformin until it proves to not work?
J&M <3
DS: 12/15/15
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:36 pm

I bought my OPK's off amazon. I got 50 OPKs and 20 hpts for like $25. But if you don't want so many, Im pretty sure dollar tree stores sell them! So you'd only be wasting $1 to try it out ;)
That's so awesome for your friend! 6 years! Oh my! I would go crazy :omg:
As for now, my doctor is just doing process of elimination. We're trying Metformin and see if it works. I have my next appt scheduled for March. If I'm not ovulating by then, then she will prescribe me clomid. We haven't really discuss what to try after that if the clomid doesn't work. I assume IUI would be the next step, that is if I can get my body to ovulate.

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:30 pm

Hopefully Metfomin will help you ovulate! March feels like forever away! I hope you'll get a BFP before then and not have to do Clomid at all. I'm pretty excited to start Clomid. I keep thinking of how amazing it would be to succeed on the first try but then I read stories of it not working at all and reality kicks back in. Are you currently with an RE or regular obgyn? I'm not sure if my insurance covers an RE so I really hope I don't have to be referred to one of them. If Clomid doesn't work in 3 cycles I'll start femara. Here's to ovulation!
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:34 am

Jzscott I would definitely recommend temping...I encouraged it for kflores too. In my experience, it has given me the most amount of information about what's going on with my body. It's possible for a woman to get their period and still not ovulate (esp. if they have long/irregular cycles). It's also possible for a woman to get a positive OPK and not ovulate (it happened to me back in June and I used one of the expensive ones the clearBlue advance). The best way to confirm ovulation is through temping. As far as waking up at different times, you can just set your alarm for the earliest possible time you wake up. On the days that you can sleep in (i.e. weekends) you can just take your temp and go right back to sleep.

My doctor is taking a similar approach to kflores' doctor. Metformin first, then clomid, and if clomid doesn't work I think that's when he'll be referring me to an RE. DH had some slight issues with his SA too, so he took another test today and we are waiting for those results.
Me: 32
DH: 32
Our little girl is 17-months old (born Oct. 2015)
BFP on 4/5/17 (est. due date 12/18/17)
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:20 am

I know, March seems like forever!! Its why I feel like i'm wasting time "trying" Metformin to see if it "might" work for me. Blah! Oh well, she's the doctor, not me. I go to my regular Obgyn. I don't even know what/if my insurance covers an RE. Yeah, the stories I read about people ttc for years on end, and clomid not working, then IUI not working, and then even IVF not working, really freaks me out. I do have a problem with worrying too much and always thinking the worst case scenario. I need to stop that!

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:10 pm

I'll definitrly keep an open mind about temping but I have a very hard time waking up to alarms because I'm such a deep sleeper that I'm worried it would just be too difficult. I really really hope clomid works! I'm very pessimistic and worry all the time so I have a hard time believing that it will but I just have to wait and see. My husband was relieved that we conceived the first time naturally because my doctor says there is no point in him having a SA. He was so worried that he'd have to and he's really embarrassed by the whole thing.
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:14 pm

Jzscott, I was really hesitant to temp as well. I was sort of intimidated by the idea. Babydust kept telling me that I needed to give it a try and so I finally gave in haha! It isn't as bad as I thought it would be at all. Now, its just a normalcy to my mornings. My DH is super sweet in the mornings too, if I don't wake up from his alarm he will wake me up and remind me to take my temp. Its worth a shot to see if it works for you or not. I hope the clomid works for you as well! Are they going to monitor your cycle with ultrasounds to make sure you O?
I bet your HD was relieved. I don't think anyone would feel comfortable with the whole SA process. :/

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:28 pm

Do you use a bbt or do you just use a regular ole thermometer? I would like to start with a cheaper one just to see if I could actually get myself to do it consistently. Your husband sounds so nice waking you up to take your temperature! What a great man you found!
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:36 pm

This is the one I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Nexcare-524560-Ba ... B006F5BCLA

But really, I don't see much difference in it than I do my regular one I already had at home...

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:18 pm

That't not a bad price at all! I'm definitely going to purchase it if this monitored cycle doesn't work.

Back to Metformin. TMI, but have you ever experienced constipation on it? I've noticed it the last couple days and I thought it was supposed to be the opposite.
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:23 am

Yes SA are not pleasant for the hubbies. My DH was super nervous and embarrassed when he had to do it. Glad yours doesn't have to.
I would suggest using a bbt thermometer because they are more sensitive than a reg one. No constipation for me, I've had more of the opposite affect on met, but I have heard of girls that get constipated on it.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:12 am

Jzscott- yes I have!! This past week I have been going back and forth between constipation and diarrhea :( it has not been fun.

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jzscott » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:39 am

I'll definitely do a bbt since they aren't as expensive as I was thinking they were. It's weird how Metformin messes with you.

I've been taking provera for 2 days and this morning I woke up to bleeding. Not heavy but not light enough to consider spotting. I called an after hours nurse and she just told me to keep taking provera for the 10 days and unless the bleeding stops to consider this cycle day one. I'm supposed to get bw on cd 3 and then cycle day 9 but I'll be in Washington by the time cd 9 comes and I didn't think it would be an issue because provera is supposed to take 10 days. I'm kind of annoyed right now because it may mean I can't start Clomid this cycle but I hope I will be able to! Also I don't have any pms. I always get sore boobs and they aren't even slightly sore. So confused!!
J&M <3
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:57 am

My last provera induced period didn't have a lot of reg period symptoms either. Has anyone experienced dry mouth with metformin? Last night I had really bad dry mouth...I drink lots of water, but was having symptoms of dehydration: dry mouth, dry lips, really thirsty, headache and yellowish urine. I'm planning on asking my doctor about this on my Wednesday appointment. I know it's a side effect of met, but I haven't had it this bad before. Hoping last night was a 1 time thing.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to PCOS Support