Metformin

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Re: Metformin

Postby Jzscott » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 pm

I've been really really thirsty as well with constant dry mouth! I didn't even think it could be metformin but maybe it is. I haven't had an headaches though.
J&M <3
DS: 12/15/15
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alwaysherebefore » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 pm

Hey ladies! Sorry to fall off the radar for a while. Not much going on cycle-wise but been really busy with work, house guests and life. Officially done with AF, and onto the next cycle!

Jz, that sucks your chance at clomid this cycle might be foiled! How annoying! I hope the provera stops the bleeding so you can be back on track!

Kflores, I know how you feel about waiting! It seems like met alone is never helpful (surely it helps some otherwise we wouldn't be on it) so why can't we just jump ahead!!
30, married Oct 2012
TTC since Oct 2013
Diagnosed with PCOS Aug 2014
Alwaysherebefore
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby babydust530 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:57 am

Hi ladies, I mentioned it in the other forum that some of you are in, but wanted to mention it here as well in case I missed anyone. AF arrived yesterday on CD33, and from temping I was able to see that I ovulated on cd33 and had a 16 day luteal phase. I've been on metformin alone for almost 2 months. I have to thank this ovulation to metformin. I don't think I've ovulated since coming off the pill 1 year ago. I know there aren't a lot of success stories out there on metformin, but it looks like it did help me ovulate (even though it was so late in my cycle). I'm hoping that as months go by, I'll start to ovulate closer and closer to cd14. Hang in there ladies, maybe metfomin will start to regulate all of our cycles.
Me: 32
DH: 32
Our little girl is 17-months old (born Oct. 2015)
BFP on 4/5/17 (est. due date 12/18/17)
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby CinnamonSugar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:11 am

It was my first time on Metformin last Dec. and doc made me take if for 2 months. As for the s/e, I've had bad tummy issues/diarrhea for the first few weeks and I noticed that milk made it worst. But after my body got used to it, the s/e were gone. It made me had my period twice for the 2 months I've taken it. I was supposed to start clomid after metformin but I've decided to try Fertilaid cause it's more natural.
TTC for Baby #2

CinnamonSugar
Friend

Postby babydust530 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:32 am

That's great that metformin helped you get your period! Were you diagnosed with PCOS as well? Were you not getting your period prior to metformin? How long are your cycles now? Sorry for the many questions, its just exciting to hear a success story with metformin. :)
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alwaysherebefore » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:32 pm

Agreed, it's great to hear a success story! I hope for you that's all you need. We all hope for natural conception! Keep us updated on how the met and fertilAide are working for you!
30, married Oct 2012
TTC since Oct 2013
Diagnosed with PCOS Aug 2014
Alwaysherebefore
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby kflores31 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi ladies, sorry I kind of faded away from this board for a few weeks. I was out sick with the flu all of last week and im just now feeling human again. I'm CD36 today and as usual just waiting and hoping my body will ovulate. Nothing new.
Me: 25 | DH: 26
Nov 2014: Dx PCOS
Jan 2015: 1500mg Metformin
6/14/15: BFP :)

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby charlieeex » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi girls just letting you know I have been on metformin now since August. I was told to slowly increase my dosage to 1500mg a day. At first I was very very sick, I could only handle 1000mg until about a month ago. Metformin has helped me go from 60-90 day cycles to about 35. I am now 3dpo and ff has me ovulated on cd 14! So it really truthfully works. Although I don't have a bfp story to share with you ladies as hubby has some fertility issues too. But I believe if it's only the female factor and you're on metformin it definitely helps!!!
Hubby and I both 26.

TTC # 1 since October 2013.

Diagnosed with PCOS, MTHFR

DH-- low sperm count - good morphology, low motility, also has a small varicocele.

June 1 2015 - Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, dye test and d&c.

March 2016 - Round 1 IVF/ICSI 8 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilised. 5 day transfer of a perfect A grade blastocyst = Chemical, none frozen.

June 2016 - Round 2 IVF/ICSI 13 eggs, all mature, 10 fertilised. 3 day transfer :bfp:
Beta = 169!
EDD MARCH 20 2017
7w2d scan = hb 148
8w2d scan = hb 167!

We welcomed our little boy, William Paul into the world on 27th of February 2017, 4lb 14oz. Life is good.

We are very lucky to have 5 little embryos on ice
charlieeex
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby CinnamonSugar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:41 pm

babydust530 wrote:That's great that metformin helped you get your period! Were you diagnosed with PCOS as well? Were you not getting your period prior to metformin? How long are your cycles now? Sorry for the many questions, its just exciting to hear a success story with metformin. :)

Yup was diagnosed with PCOS last year and doc immediately prescribed Metformin. I used to have my period every 3-6 months prior the diagnosis. I don't think i would go back to taking it for the cycle tho cause i hate the s/e. I dont want to start to experience it all over again plus i just can't give up milk in my coffee which makes the diarrhea worse. So far fertilaid is working for me and i didn't experience any S/E while on it.
TTC for Baby #2

CinnamonSugar
Friend

Postby CinnamonSugar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:43 pm

charlieeex wrote:Hi girls just letting you know I have been on metformin now since August. I was told to slowly increase my dosage to 1500mg a day. At first I was very very sick, I could only handle 1000mg until about a month ago. Metformin has helped me go from 60-90 day cycles to about 35. I am now 3dpo and ff has me ovulated on cd 14! So it really truthfully works. Although I don't have a bfp story to share with you ladies as hubby has some fertility issues too. But I believe if it's only the female factor and you're on metformin it definitely helps!!!

So happy metformin made u ovulate! :) do u and your hubby have any plans on TTC?
TTC for Baby #2

CinnamonSugar
Friend

Postby CinnamonSugar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:46 pm

Alwaysherebefore wrote:Agreed, it's great to hear a success story! I hope for you that's all you need. We all hope for natural conception! Keep us updated on how the met and fertilAide are working for you!

Yup i hope so too! We are currently on the TWW and hopefully we get a BFP. Will update u in a few wks :)
TTC for Baby #2

CinnamonSugar
Friend

Postby redmeetsfood » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi all! I also disappeared for a while. My doc changed my plan and it bummed me out for a while, but it seems to be working! She said I need to be taking the full 1500mg of met and doing cardio (huffing-puffing-can't-barely-talk) cardio 5 days a week, even though I'm not overweight. She said the important part is to treat the underlying insulin resistance that goes with PCOS. If we get that under control, I should start ovulating. So I've been doing what she said and low and behold on CD106 I got a period! I'm not using any ovulation kits and my temps are bananas, so I have to idea if I'm ovulating, but at least I got a period right?! The cycle tracking apps I'm using have me in a "fertile window" right now so fingers crossed...
31, Married Feb 2014
TTC since March 2014
Diagnosed w/ PCOS Sept 2014
Metformin since Sept 2014
redmeetsfood

Postby charlieeex » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:42 am

Hey cinnamon - at this stage we are going to just give it a shot tracking o etc. I've gotta give dh some time to grieve his swimmers I think. If nothing happens 6 months from now we will try something more intrusive I guess. what about you?

Redmeetsfood - I remember when I first got my period on me tformin I was so happy to know I finally ovulated! With your temping - are you taking your temp at the same time every morning after 3 hours of sleep? If so, I'm not sure why your temps would be all over the place unless you had some other hormonal imbalance or something?
Hubby and I both 26.

TTC # 1 since October 2013.

Diagnosed with PCOS, MTHFR

DH-- low sperm count - good morphology, low motility, also has a small varicocele.

June 1 2015 - Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, dye test and d&c.

March 2016 - Round 1 IVF/ICSI 8 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilised. 5 day transfer of a perfect A grade blastocyst = Chemical, none frozen.

June 2016 - Round 2 IVF/ICSI 13 eggs, all mature, 10 fertilised. 3 day transfer :bfp:
Beta = 169!
EDD MARCH 20 2017
7w2d scan = hb 148
8w2d scan = hb 167!

We welcomed our little boy, William Paul into the world on 27th of February 2017, 4lb 14oz. Life is good.

We are very lucky to have 5 little embryos on ice
charlieeex
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby babydust530 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:00 am

Red that's great news!! I was on met 1500 mg too when I finally got my period on cd37, but I saw a clear shift in my temp. Then the very next cycle (the one I'm currently on) I ovulated on cd13! I can't believe met is finally working for me. I'm currently 8dpo, but we only bd once during fertile window because I wasn't expecting to o that early and that weekend we were away w friends and sharing the room w another couple. How is your chart looking now? See if you can post it. Good luck!!
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby redmeetsfood » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks babydust! Here's my chart. I only have one chart since Fertility Friend won't plot your temps until you have a period and I went so long without one. I'm also using Ovuline, which plots your temps no matter what, but it's not easy to embed in a post.
My Ovulation Chart

Charlie - I try to take my temp at about the same time every morning (usually between 4:30-5am, but this weekend we were celebrating our one year anniversary, so I didn't temp until about 7am each weekend day). I've been telling myself that the underlying insulin resistance that goes with PCOS is the reason why I don't have even temps, but I really don't have any idea.

My temps range from 96.1-97.8 usually, with the most common temps being 96.6 and 97.3. Does anyone else have low temps like this?

I'd love to hear ya'll's thoughts on this!
31, Married Feb 2014
TTC since March 2014
Diagnosed w/ PCOS Sept 2014
Metformin since Sept 2014
redmeetsfood

PreviousNext

Return to PCOS Support