PCOS? Insulin resistance? Metformin? Vitex?

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

PCOS? Insulin resistance? Metformin? Vitex?

Postby Pookieboog » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi ladies! I am gonna try to keep this short but wanted some opinions. Thank you to ANYONE who takes the time to read!!!

My biggest hormonal complaints / identified issues are:

- night sweats
- hot flashes during SOME periods
- acne around PMS
- lots of thick / black chest hair
- high androstenedione
- high testosterone
- vitamin D deficient
- low b12
- fasting glucose in the high range or normal, 95
- HEMOGLOBIN A1C, 5.4 on a 0-5.6 scale.
- heavy periods, I bleed through a super tampon in less than an hour for the first 2 days
- periods every 24-30 days with spotting that that stops about 4 days before actual period.

I had one doc tell me I have PCOS because there are cysts on my ovaries. THEN I had a chemical pregnancy and went in for another ultrasound and this new doc said the cysts are not PCOS type cysts, just "normal".

I am on Metformin, she wanted me to take 250 mg / twice a day but it gave me such horrible heartburn I could only stomach once / day with food.

This past cycle I was pretty sure I conceived again because of all of my symptoms. My tests showed something that COULD have turned into a line but it was barely notable and then disappeared and symptoms stopped and AF came.

Now for my question!!! I want to do things right the next cycle but my doc can't see me again until right before Christmas. I am going to start temping and charting AND using the OPK but I am not sure how reliable temps will be with the night sweats.

I also ordered vitex because I heard so many good things but am scared to add another factor in. Also I read you shouldn't take it WHILE pregnant on web md. Same with the Metformin, it's supposed to help conception and lower miscarriage rates,but then I read not to take it while pregnant. So what gives?

Any advice on any of the above is more than welcome. Again, thanks so much for your time!
Me: 30 yrs old
Hubs: 33 yrs old
Stepson (full-time): 7 years old
Chemical Pregnancy: +9/27, loss 9/29
1st baby due Aug 23rd, 2015

My Ovulation Chart

Pookieboog
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: PCOS? Insulin resistance? Metformin? Vitex?

Postby Pookieboog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:39 pm

UPDATE: I have an appointment for Dec 2nd at my city's reproductive endocrinologist & fertility specilist. I was hoping to have a month of charting before I went to show her but I'll take it!!!
Me: 30 yrs old
Hubs: 33 yrs old
Stepson (full-time): 7 years old
Chemical Pregnancy: +9/27, loss 9/29
1st baby due Aug 23rd, 2015

My Ovulation Chart

Pookieboog
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby ricemill » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi Pookie,

How did your RE appointment go?
ricemill
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby AshleeNB » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:46 pm

Any update?

I had pretty much have the same thing.
I am currently taking metformin 500mg twice a day started Feb 20th.

vitex 2 a day started that in late February Also

Started in late october B6. B12. Folic acid. Prenatal vitiamns. Women's once a day Complete.

I also started taking the provera on Feb 18th just finished my 10 days. Started af on Feb 28th. Starting clomid 100MG for 5 days. CD 3-7. I'm on CD 2 so tomorrow will start the clomid for my first round. My af has never been regular though. My testosterone was a high 77 though so they said it might take 2-3 months before any real results.

So I guess I'm looking for some wishful thinking and positive hope.
Im Ashlee - 22 D.O.B. Jan 17th

My DH Justin - 30. D.O.B. April 13th

Diagnosed with PCOS Feb 18th 2015

TTC since Oct 2013. Just started charting March 2015 takin temps and doing opks to find O day.
1st round of clomid March 2015
AshleeNB
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to PCOS Support