pcos - TTC #1 - irregular cycle

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: pcos - TTC #1 - irregular cycle

Postby babydust530 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 am

That's good to hear! My appointment went well too. Here is the rundown:

-another round of blood tests that he wants to do CD3
-another ultrasound; scheduled it for 12/17 in his office this way he has the results right away
-another 5 days of provera 10mg to induce AF (I plan on starting it today)
-he still doesn't think I have PCOS, stating that the only indicator is the elevated testosterone, but he wants me to start on metformin (I'm planning on starting it tomorrow). He told me that the medication won't do any harm, so even if I don't have PCOS it may still help regulate my hormones.
-I have another follow-up scheduled for the end of the month, and he said we can see how I'm responding to the metformin then, and depending on how that goes and the results of the blood test/ultrasound we can think about clomid
-he also gave a script for DH to have a semen analysis. DH is pretty nervous, but he agrees its a good idea.

Part of me is feeling excited to try these new medications, but part of me is very nervous about the results of all of these tests DH and I have coming up.

Alwaysherebefore what have been your experiences on metformin?
Me: 32
DH: 32
Our little girl is 17-months old (born Oct. 2015)
BFP on 4/5/17 (est. due date 12/18/17)
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alwaysherebefore » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 pm

I'm glad to hear you both had good appts and that you feel like you're headed in the right direction! It's always refreshing to feel like your making progress towards the goal.

My experience with metformin has been good. I did experience some standard side effects at first. I had some "tummy trouble". By tummy trouble I mean diahreah. It only lasted about 2 days though so not too bad. I did have some light nausea that lingered for about two or three weeks though. I never vomited or anything I just never felt hungry. It's evened out though and I've been on it for about 4 months now.

I had my shorts cycle off of BC last cycle and if my opk was reliable then this too should be another short cycle for me which I give full credit to the metformin. The first weeks might be a bummer but for me its been worth it!
30, married Oct 2012
TTC since Oct 2013
Diagnosed with PCOS Aug 2014
Alwaysherebefore
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby char_ox » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:00 am

Glad your appointment went okay! Hopefully for you it isn't PCOS and you can sort it easily with meds :)
My partner is also going for a seman test, I feel the exact same, excited but nervous!
Keep me updated ...x
char_ox
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby babydust530 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:16 am

thanks for the support ladies. Alwaysherebefore, what has been your experience on drinking alcohol and taking metformin. I've heard mixed reviews. I have a party this Saturday and was looking forward to having a few cocktails? Also, do you take metformin even after you ovulate? The label says not to take it if pregnant or if you may be pregnant, so I wasn't sure if I should stop them after I ovulate.
That's awesome about the shorter cycles, how long were you on metformin before you noticed these changes?
Sorry for the bunch of questions, I'm just a little anxious about taking a new medication (especially when my doctor doesn't think I have PCOS).
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby char_ox » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:41 am

I'll always be here for support.. Its nice to be able to talk to someone who doesn't just smile and say "yeah" my partner doesn't really understand half of the stuff I tell him lol.
I have a scan booked for the 17th December, and I need to go for my blood tests this week. Exciting but nervous about all the results, as I know I have pcos but not exactly what's going wrong lol.
Hope all is OK, just an update aswell I'm 51days late and I'm on CD85 & still no AF!!
char_ox
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby babydust530 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:48 pm

That's so funny, my sonogram is also scheduled for December 17th. Did your doctor say anything about prescribing provera to help induce AF?
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby char_ox » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Wow whats with the same appointments :)? Lol, my doctor didnt even mention nothing about the here and now problem... Its the first time I have seen him as I've not long moved to this area, so I'm guessing I'll just have to wait it out, surely it can't be good for me tho!
char_ox
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Alwaysherebefore » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Babydust - I still have drinks while on met. The issue is possible lactic acidosis but I think it's pretty rare. I never take my med with alcohol though. And you can def take met all month. In fact if your on it and become pregnant I believe you stay on it for the first trimester.

I have been on met 3 or 4 months and I noticed a difference after about 2 months. I always thought met was for ppl who were insulin resistant and I was very skeptical too. I'd say give it 3 months to see if it helps. After that if you still feel skeptical then reconsider.

Char - perhaps after your scan your dr will consider provera. You're right it's not great you've been on your cycle so long, it will be a sucky AF when it happens! I went 110 days or so and it was such a heavy period, Uhg.
30, married Oct 2012
TTC since Oct 2013
Alwaysherebefore
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby char_ox » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Oh yes I'm dreading it when it finally comes :(
char_ox
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby babydust530 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks for the feedback alwaysherebefore. Today is day 3 on met, and so far I would say day 1 was the worst symptoms (nausea and mood swings). I'm planning on having a drink with dinner tonight and see how I feel. If I feel fine, than I'll have a couple of drinks at the party on Saturday. What CD are you?
I also read that some people are recommended to stay on met for the first trimester, while others are encouraged to stop once they find out they are pregnant (I wish recommendations could be more consistent; it would def help lessen my anxieties) . But, I'm trying to not worry about that, until I cross that bridge. One thing at a time.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Alwaysherebefore » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:31 am

Hopefully those side effects don't stick with you long, they are not fun! He nausea stayed with me the longest. I hope you're able to enjoy your party tonight! I'm sure once you get your bfp your doctor will let you know whether or not to continue the meds.

Afm, I'm cd 31 and 12dpo. No symptoms of af or anything else really. I usually only get cramping the day before af though. I haven't tested yet and I haven't really decided if I'll do it this weekend before going back to work or wait until next weekend if af is indeed late.
30, married Oct 2012
TTC since Oct 2013
Alwaysherebefore
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby char_ox » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Alwaysherebefore good luck for when you test, I hope its a BFP :)

I'm CD87 / 53days late. No sign of nothing ...ergh frustrating!!

Any sign of anything babydust?
char_ox
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby babydust530 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Fingers crossed!! I hope you get you BFP! :) I did have a few drinks, and was fine. The symptoms have gotten better. Yesterday was my last day on provera. Hoping af comes soon. So far nothing, not even cramps.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby char_ox » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Does provera usually do the trick for you? Iv never had nothing to help AF come, my doctor didn't even seem slightly worried I'm so late.. lol I'm going for the blood tests tuesday 9th. That's the only thing happening at the moment for me. :)
char_ox
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby babydust530 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:11 am

Yes, last time I took provera in August I had AF 2 days after my last pill (I hadn't had a period in a few months). Today is day 3 since I took my last provera pill and I'm starting to bleed a little and I'm definitely feeling some cramps...hoping it turns into full AF.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to PCOS Support