pcos - TTC #1 - irregular cycle

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: pcos - TTC #1 - irregular cycle

Postby Little_Bits » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:25 am

First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm glad your DH was there to celebrate with you and that you were feeling well enough to actually enjoy it. Sometimes just being together (especially with him so far away), is the best birthday present.

I'm sorry that my posting has become so infrequent! My second job (teaching on-line in the evenings), seems to have gotten out of control and some nights I'm working for 2+ hours after getting home from work. Yesterday I was so exhausted that I wasn't able to stay up past 8pm, then I slept until 8 this morning! Of course I had to wake up to go to the loo and drink water, but I clearly needed the rest. This morning I finally feel back to my old self, but I know by the time Tuesday rolls around I'll be back to being a zombie. I both love my job, and wish I had less to do so I could rest more. Once the baby comes I guess, there is no free time at all so at least I'm getting prepared!

I think it's so great you'll be able to get a larger apartment this summer, and still have time to start nesting before you're too big. I tried setting up the new changing table today only to find I'm missing two screws so I'll need to go to the hardware store tomorrow. I wanted to put up the decorations, but the packaging on the stickers said you shouldn't put on newly painted walls - now I have to wait a month! At least I'll have time during my spring break in April, it just seems so far away. I did fold and sort all the baby clothes (so tiny!) and organize the closet. Last weekend I went to a second hand kids market and bought two bags of clothes birth-6 months for about 20 quid! I'm all about the used things - babies grow so quickly anyways. I'm sure with two little ones to clothe you'll also be looking for second hand clothes and deals! I'm sure you've started looking on GumTree and there must be a second-hand market near you too.

I had to laugh when I read how you said you were disgusted by pizza! I couldn't even think about pizza (or anything else remotely greasy) for the entire first trimester. Every time my hubby ate pizza I made him go somewhere else so I wouldn't have to look at it. I'm glad to report I'm back to eating pizza without a problem and it is delicious. Are you still feeling okay otherwise? Are you getting enough rest? I was reading about some second tri problems, and it seems (so far) I've been very lucky and missed out on a lot of bad ones. I don't have swelling or varicose veins or muscle cramps or sciatica so I think I should count my lucky stars.

I'm sorry your DH had to leave again, but it's great he'll be back so soon. I hope that time starts flying by as you near the end of your first tri - you are so SO close now!! And Scooby and Shaggy are getting bigger every day (love the names btw). And now your nuchal is now less than a week away, so I know you are very anxious for that - and so am I!! Let me know how it goes!

Please feel free to steal any and all ideas from me, I think the t-shirts were so wonderful for both me and my family that I would recommend it to anyone. How exciting about being able to announce your babies when you know their genders! I bet everyone will be so excited and just overall thrilled for you!! It's all just so fun to have a bit of time to think about these small things that make pregnancy exciting, and to have so much support from fellow mums was a fantastic surprise for me. Are many of your friends back home mums?

Hoping you have a calm and restful weekend!
Me: 28, mild PCOS, history of large cysts that rupture, stage 1 endometriosis resulting in severe abdominal pain, lap to remove endo and adhesions (4/28), HSG shows clear tubes.
Clomid 50mg (6/15) - no response
Clomid 100mg (8/15) - scan shows ONE follicle!!
DH: 34, perfect in every way
TTC since August 2014
First ever BFP October 22!! :bfp:

http://wishingformyrainbow.blogspot.co.uk/

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:00 am

You're incredibly busy--I give you a lot of credit for managing to juggle a demanding full time job, your second job, and pregnancy! Are you planning on keeping up the second job after your teaching gig ends? I give you a lot of credit--and it's incredibly sweet of you, but don't worry about response times. I like how I always know you're there (and even if my response times lag, I'm always here too).

I love that you're ready to have everything finished for the nursery and getting ready for the baby. That's fantastic--and I imagine I'll be in the same place when I'm as far along as you are (I mean, I'll have to wait because of the move, but even so). And congratulations on scoring bags of used baby clothes--that's an incredibly good idea (and a good tip). With two, we'll definitely be looking to go used with everything we don't need to get new. I want to get past the nuchal and into the second tri (eek! So close yet so far!) before even starting on a registry and figuring out items, but I know we'll need so many big ticket purchases (cribs, strollers, car seats), it'll be nice not to have things taken out of the way. On the plus side, a friend who we told about the pregnancy has a neighbor (who's very nice and I know a little) and said she'd be happy to pass along a ton of baby clothes from the new baby girl and her son. Which is fantastic--and I'm super grateful. For newborn clothes, I couldn't care less about gender of stuff--being able to get hand-me-down clothing is perfect. You said it: they'll outgrow it quickly, and I'm sure there will be a lot of wear and tear.

I don't have too many friends who have children. Well, here I have a friend with a four year old, which is nice because she's given me a good sense of how things like childcare work here. Back in the US, though, my social set is undergoing a bit of a baby boom: I have a very close friend (one of the people who knows I'm pregnant) who's due in August (and she's team green like you!), so it's really fun to be going through everything together. And I have friends due in April, May, and June who I'm excited to tell soon. It's funny how much things have changed since last year--instead of feeling that pang of sadness, it's funny that we're now part of this whole world. And the timing is convenient, so that so many people I know are going through the same process and will be at a similar place. All my fertility struggles means that I'm still constantly amazed (and really grateful!). Do a lot of your friends have children? Do you feel like you've got a set of mom friends ready? I'm excited to meet people at the NCT classes here.

Thanks for telling me about exiling your husband when he ate pizza! That definitely makes me feel less weird. When I was nauseated by pizza, I wondered, "Who am I?" I mean, pizza, of all things? Anything greasy and heavy has been turning me off, but my nausea comes and goes unevenly. I was worried much of last week that I was feeling too good (could it be a sign of bad things in the pregnancy?) but then Friday I was hit by awful nausea--I would have been more relieved if I hadn't been so miserable. The only things I could manage to consume were ginger ale and dry toast. And then this weekend I felt great.

I'm glad to hear you're mostly okay with second tri symptoms (besides bothersome digestive ones!). I hear you on the heartburn, by the way, so I totally sympathize. But I hope your comfort keeps up, and it's wonderful that you've stayed so active. I'm still tired a lot, but I'm sleeping a ton, and napping on weekends. I've also found the pilates and pregnancy exercise videos have really helped stretch out and feel less stiff.

I'm definitely on the edge of my seat waiting for Thursday. My scan can not come quickly enough! Good luck at your midwife's appointment. I totally hear you about the joy of the little things in pregnancy (from announcing to getting ready for the baby)--once I'm officially in the second tri there's much I'm looking forward to. Do you have more scans scheduled post-anomaly scan? I realized I don't know the scheduling for scans later in pregnancy (wahoo! You count as later in pregnancy--you're over halfway!). Anyway, I wish you luck with the busy week, and I'm on the edge of my eat waiting for your spring break so you can finish up the nursery!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)
7 cycles of clomid: bfn
first cycle injectables: bfp!

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:34 am

Bad day over here! I woke up and realized I had beige/brown cm. I had been having white/creamy cm throughout the pregnancy, which I knew was normal and hadn't given it a second thought, but seeing beige/brown discharge was abjectly terrifying--and particularly today, with today two days away from twelve weeks (!!!). I immediately called the midwife, who, after asking if I was cramping or having red/pink blood (no and no) was reassuring and said it's probably nothing. She said if I start outright bleeding to go to the Maternity Assessment Unit, but for now just to wait until the scan on Thursday. I asked her what could be causing it, and she said there was no way to know--that sometimes it just happens. She also said it's often old blood that gets knocked out, but I don't know what the old blood would be from--she suggested maybe I'd had bleeding earlier and just hadn't known it, but I've been watching like a hawk and haven't seen so much as a speck since my last af.

I talked to dh, who was calming about it. He also reminded me to be calm so that the stress doesn't do bad things to the babies, but honestly, I'm completely terrified. As far as I can figure I still feel pregnant, but that's tough when it's too early to feel the babies (my breasts are still big and I'm still feeling digestively off in that distinctive way). I'm not nauseous at the moment, which on the on hand seems bad (vanishing symptoms?), but the other part of me realizes that's not determinative--I've been very on/off nauseous for weeks now.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me freak out. This is definitely going to be an unbelievably long three days--but for now I'm just hoping and crossing everything nothing gets worse. I know it'd be super different having a miscarriage now vs at 6 weeks (what I was last time), but then I definitely had unmistakable and unambiguous actual bleeding. This time it just felt late enough to be virtually out of danger, you know?

Luckily I finished what I need to do from the office and can spend the rest of the day working from home and relaxing, and I'm going to try to relax and take it easy. Anyway, I'll definitely keep you posted, I hope Scooby and Shaggy are okay in there.
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:23 am

Okay, quick update on my end: it seems to have gone away, and certainly no cramps or bleeding. I'm still nervous and it'll brutal waiting the 48 hours until the scan. I hope things are okay on your end--that you're feeling good and managing to power through the workweek!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Ah! I was so nervous reading your post!! I'm glad there hasn't been any further bleeding and no cramping, and I have had a few friend with brownish cm without any problems so I know it can be normal, but still! I'm glad you got to talk to your DH and he was able to calm you down, and I hope that you are now relaxing and taking it easy and finding a way to pass the time quickly until your scan. I know once you see your babies again it will be so much easier to move forward. The chances of miscarrying after a scan with a heartbeat is very low, so we'll just keep our fingers crossed and send any updates my way!

On my end I am completely exhausted. I left for work at 6:45, then left school at 5:15 to drive a mile to my new yoga class. My GPS kept trying to send me down one way roads, and I ended up getting so lost and so upset that I nearly drove myself home. Yoga is supposed to be relaxing, not stressful! I decided to go in the end, and although I did enjoy it (and I think I'll enjoy it even more once I know how to get there!), I spent most of the time feeling stressed that I was late and hadn't paid the meter quite enough. And then I only got home just now (8:30) and I've still got to eat and do my online work :/ I've decided when the baby comes I'll be taking 3 months maternity from that, and then slowly adding back in some classes. I like having some external work to do, and I seem to be better organised and efficient when I have tasks that need completing.

I'm glad to hear you've got someone to pass on lots of kids things! It's really amazing how big the mom network is and how generous everyone seems to be. They've all been there, and are happy to help! I've got a few friends back in America with children, though not very many close friends, and a few of my husband's friends and their wives (who are now my friends!) have kids and they live in Bristol. One of my college roommates just had her baby two weeks ago, and one other one has two kids (she's the one that shared all her maternity clothes!) but otherwise most of my close friends are just getting married or are still single. My only friend who is pregnant now with me and is just 17 weeks now, so we are enjoying sharing a lot of things now! I think you hit it spot on how different it is now to hear about someone's pregnancy, or what they are going through being pregnant compared to what we would have felt if we hadn't been so lucky to respond to our treatments. I really enjoy celebrating with everyone, instead of feeling sadness and anger and unhappiness! I don't really know anyone here in Scotland with kids, so I will also be looking to my yoga class, NCT class, and then all the baby classes in my town to meet other mommies. I know they can save your life and help you from going insane!

I'm not sure what the scan schedule is in England, but in the UK you don't get an routine scans after your 20 week anomaly - so if we want another one we'll have to pay! I'm sure with twins you will have many (many!) more scans, and I might end up breaking down and paying for another one just so I can check on Wriggles. But then again, s/he will be here in 17 short weeks, which seems like both an eternity and a blink of an eye! One of my colleagues noted that I'm the perfect visual countdown for the end of term, because Wriggles' due date is the day before school ends. That means I know exactly how many weeks and how many days are left of school! Now I've just got to decide when to start maternity leave so I get some time to rest while also not stressing about leaving my students. I know it'll just be here before I know it.

Keep me updated on your situation, and I'm waiting anxiously to hear the results of your scan and sending all the positive thoughts your way!!
Me: 28, mild PCOS, history of large cysts that rupture, stage 1 endometriosis resulting in severe abdominal pain, lap to remove endo and adhesions (4/28), HSG shows clear tubes.
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks for waiting out those last few nerve-racking days with me, and I'm happy to report good news! The nuchal went really well--and it was incredibly seeing both babies. At first I thought there was something up with the picture, it took me a little while to realize how active they are! They are both right on for growth, with two strong heartbeats, and the whole anatomical tour (all their arms, legs, hands, feet, spines, brains, etc.) all seemed just as they should be. Their nuchal measurements--1.3 and 1.4--also seemed right in the normal range. Also interestingly, the babies aren't exactly the same size--one is 4 mm bigger than the other--but they said that's normal (and it's a pretty small size difference). There seemed to be no explanation from the brown cm--everything seemed just as it should be on the scan. The doctor said sometimes it's old blood (maybe even from implantation, interestingly), and unless there's fresh blood they don't really worry about it.

My only regret is I only got two pictures, and they're not great (and no picture of the two of them together on the same screen!)--the sonographer was quite brusque and seemed rushed. She also changed my dates and said I'm 11+6 (so two days back from what I thought), although one baby measured 12 weeks exactly and the other 12+2, so I'm not sure what made my dates switch. Ah well, time to change the ticker. One other bit of information I found surprising--the sonographer moved the ultrasound around to check out my ovaries, and I immediately gave her a head's up that they're polycystic (I wasn't sure if she'd read my notes). She immediately corrected me and said they're not! She said the left was all clear, and she saw the corpus luteum not not cysts on the right. And she even asked, "Who told you you had polycystic ovaries?" Which left me skeptical--my polycystic ovaries have been visualized by at least four different doctors over as many years on well over a dozen occasions at this point (and I've definitely seen the screen enough times and had the "string of pearls" pointed out to me so I could verify them for myself), so either the cysts magically went away (seems unlikely) or she wasn't the most skilled. Or maybe pregnancy helps? Hopefully it does, and it bodes well for you next time around!

Anyway, overall my visit to the hospital was slightly chaotic (I ended up going on a bit of a wild goose chase for blood tests), but I was pleased with how good the consultants, midwife, and nurses are at the high risk clinic, which is where I'll be getting my care. They were warm and answered all my questions and I felt comfortable. Which is good, because I'll be spending a bunch of time there. I have a scan at 18 and 22 weeks to check cervical length (there's more of an issue with that with twins)--I'll do one in the US because I'll be there. There's the anomaly scan at 20 weeks, and then a full slate of appointments (scan, consultant, midwife, blood tests) at 28 weeks, and then at least every four weeks after that. I also see the regular midwife at the GP's office at 16 weeks, and I'm not sure when after that. And they gave me the full slate of blood tests to check for the nuchal test, thyroid, and also on my antiphospholipid syndrome, so depending on those results I could be back sooner. Anyway, that's at least the schedule for the near future, but I got the sense that depending on other things, it could be more frequent, all of which is a-okay with me. I can totally understand why you'd want another scan--20 weeks is an enormous amount of time to wait! Have you been using the doppler a lot?

I'm sorry you're so exhausted! You are really running a chaotic schedule. And I totally feel for you about being so upset over the GPS--I've definitely found myself on more of an emotional hair trigger than I'm used to. (Have you felt your emotions getting more under control as the second tri goes on?) I applaud your dedication to get to the yoga class when you still have more work and dinner ahead of you (and a long workday the next day!). And I hear you on the exhaustion--I've been so tired and so into naps (pre-pregnancy I never took naps) I joke with DH that these babies are going to be world-class sleepers.

Your maternity leave from your second job makes sense to me. You'll need the first three months to recover and adjust and have your whole world centered around Wriggles, and then adding in work will be hectic but it makes sense. I can tell you thrive off of being busy, as stressful as it'll be to juggle everything. I'm thrilled I get a maternity leave--one of the many advantages to having a baby here as opposed to in the US. Apparently I'll get full pay (whew), and for 26 weeks (!!). It's a major relief not to have to dark back to work right away, and I'm thrilled I can stay home for a while with the babies, try to breastfeed, and get to really bond with them. I don't have a dilemma about when to take leave--they're due right before the fall term, so I won't have any teaching right before they're born anyway, and I should be able to make it through next term without a problem (it ends in mid-June). What are you thinking for when you take your leave? I can imagine it's tough to balance--and also hard to know how uncomfortable you'll get at the end (and how much nesting is left, etc.). Man, it must feel so close for you--Wriggles will be here before you know it! I can't wait!

Whew, I am delighted (and hugely relieved, particularly after being scared). The good news is still sinking in. It was amazing seeing them on the screen, looking like babies rather than blobs. I've ordered shirts for my parents and am psyched for the big reveal (we're going to Skype this weekend). I think I'll wait until I get the official downs syndrome risk letter to announce too widely (and work can wait a week or two), but it's feeling so real to me! It was amazing seeing the babies, looking so vibrant. It's amazing to think by the fall we'll both be juggling babies!
Attachments
baby 1 nuchal.jpg
baby 1 nuchal.jpg (42.16 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Last edited by inthemetro on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:46 am

And I wanted to give you a short of the second baby, too. DH and I joked that the first one is calm like him and the second (who was wriggling enough to prevent a good clear photo) has nervous energy like me!
Attachments
twin 2 nuchal.jpg
twin 2 nuchal.jpg (41.14 KiB) Viewed 911 times
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:37 pm

I am so relieved! I've been helping out at the school's Lion King performance and just got home at 9pm, and I couldn't wait to hear your news. Hurray for good news! Healthy, active babies are just want you want, although I'm sorry that you didn't get the clear pictures you'd have liked. Since you have a few more scans coming up, maybe the babies will calm down a bit!

I'm heading straight to bed now (have to wake up at 6 for work!) but I am just so so happy for you! I'm sure you are just floating on cloud 9, and getting excited to share the news. Does it feel s lot more real now that you could see the babies (instead of just little blobs with heartbeats?). I hope you have a restful day tomorrow, take more naps!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:05 pm

Aww, thanks so much for taking the time to check in when you must be beyond wiped. Helping out with the Lion King sounds really cute (I love the idea of little kids in animal costumes!) but one more thing keeping you up. Whew--I'm tired thinking about it, and I give you a lot of credit.

It definitely feels more real! It's nice to be able to move into the next phase. I can tell people, fully transition to maternity wear (well... I'm balking at the expense and hoping to wait to purchase more stuff until I return to the US, so I'm hoping I can last with very little until then). I will definitely do the after work nap (I'm happy to have no plans whatsoever tomorrow night), but I hope you get some rest! We're almost at the weekend, and I hope you have lots of low key relaxation in store!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:33 am

Okay, Little_Bits, one more quick update. I'm actually going back for another appointment on Thursday. I received the letter in the mail about my appointment yesterday (which was the day after the nuchal and all those appointments). I immediate rang the clinic, scared that I was getting booked in so soon because my test results had gone horribly wrong. Luckily that wasn't the case--they hadn't even gotten any results yet--but they wanted me to see another consultant early on too, and I think with the high risk clinic the idea is more appointments are better. It makes things slightly hectic work wise (and I'm hoping it'll be a bit more organized than last time--hopefully not another 3.5 hours at the hospital) but it's fine by me. Particularly with this brown cm (which I'm still having), I'll be very happy to see the babies again.

Anyway, congratulations on making it through the workweek. Has the Lion King wrapped up production? I hope you have good weekend plans, and I want to hear all about how Wriggles is changing!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:31 am

Hey inthemetro,
Thanks for the update! I also immediately thought that you going back into the clinic already was bad news follow up, and I'm so relieved that they just want to see you again. I hope the time at the hospital isn't that long either, but hey - that's part of being pregnant, right? Hopefully your work will be understanding. Have you told them yet? You are so so close to your second trimester and with the nuchal all right at least it's a safe enough time to share it!

The Lion King is finally done (hurray!) and the students did a wonderful job. Yesterday was all about catching up on the things I haven't quite done during the week (laundry, cooking, shopping errands, etc.) and today I'm helping with scoring in a gymnastics competition. I think I have to stop saying yes to helping people because I am WAY too tired for all of this. I would have preferred a whole day sitting on the couch and watching movies!

Okay, back to your nuchal for a moment as I didn't really get the chance to express all my thoughts and questions before. HURRAY for such a good scan! How interesting that your babies are measuring at different days, but I guess it's good that that's normal for twins. I'm glad to hear that your babies are active too, and isn't it fun to see them moving around so much? They're already their own little people and they are still so tiny. That is also REALLY strange about your ovaries not looking polycystic. I think that you have been seen by enough people, and then seen the string of pearls enough times to know what your ovaries normally look like. In my last ultrasound I still had quite a few small cysts on both sides, but nothing was growing to unmanageable amounts. I think either she's not very skilled in looking for PCOS or maybe your pregnancy and rounds of drugs truly has helped. Since PCOS affects us most when TTC, we can comfortably forget about it for a while during the pregnancy.

I'm glad to hear that everyone was so great with you, and that even if it was a bit hectic everything got done. Your check up schedule sounds exhausting, but also wonderful! At least you'll always be reassured that nothing bad is happening because you'll be seeing and hearing your babies so often. I've got another normal doctor's appointment in 3 weeks just for urine and blood pressure tests. I haven't been using the doppler nearly as much as I did in my first tri and early second tri because Wriggles is SUCH a kicker. I swear s/he kicked me 75% of yesterday, and I absolutely love it!! I can't believe that I'm almost 24 weeks already, the date that Wriggles is viable on the outside world. I hope s/he stays in there a lot longer of course, but to know that people have their babies already at that age is crazy.

What great news about your maternity leave, and it seems that everything is really working out time-wise for you! Thank goodness for the UK and it's willingness to take care of their mothers, babies, and families in general. It's so great you'll get 26 weeks paid and just be able to be home with your babies. With two little ones, you will need all the time you can get! I haven't decided when I'll start my Mat leave, but I'm thinking around 38 weeks. You might have guessed I'm not one to sit around and twiddle my thumbs, but all the mums I talk to are encouraging me to take time for myself, as it's the last time I'll ever really get to relax. I guess I'll just see how it goes as I get closer to my due date, and my deputes said they can be flexible as long as I keep them in the loop.

Well, I'm off to the gymnastics competition now, but I'm hoping this coming week is much less busy! I hope you are having a lovely and relaxing weekend!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:34 am

First of all: congratulations to you and Wriggles on passing the viability threshold! That is definitely an enormous landmark. Even though there's months to go until you're due, that's still incredibly magical. You can rest easier, knowing you've gotten to hear. Also, particularly given that you're nearly done with the second tri, I'm super impressed you were in a gymnastics competition! That is really an achievement, to stay flexible and nimble despite how pregnancy can really throw you off (even now I definitely feel stiffer than normal). I'm really impressed also because of how totally non-flexible I am (though I hope all this pilates and prenatal videos I've been doing is helping at least a little!). So I'm really impressed you're still at it, and I bet you'll bounce back super fast postpartum.

Also, how wonderful that you feel Wriggles kicking all the time! Silly me, of course you don't need the doppler--feeling the baby kicking must be way more reassuring! I had actually totally forgotten that of course baby kicks must be tremendously comforting. It was funny--at least my last appointment one of the nurses asked if I could feel the babies, and I was surprised by the question--I assumed 12 weeks would be very early for that (and in any case, I definitely haven't felt anything yet).

And bouncing back postpartum will be all the more important given the difficulties of adjusting to life with a new baby and juggling other things going on in your life. Also, I hear you on the challenge of knowing when to start your leave. Your friends make sense that it'll be nice to have some time to yourself--making yourself a few leisurely meals, reading novels, taking a long bath, maybe getting a massage. But it's great that you can set a date and change your mind, given that there are so many unknowables. You might feel terrific until you're in labor, but you may be more exhausted or uncomfortable, and of course it seems hard to predict when exactly Wriggles will arrive--seems like there's a lot of variation even among full term.

On my end, I told my family this weekend, which was wonderful. They loved the reveal, and are all excited. My parents want to come visit in September, which will be fantastic--it'll be great to see them and have them get to know the babies (and, of course, help out). It was funny, though, trying to plan it. Of course, with planning a trans-Atlantic trip, you can't really know when the babies will be here--particularly for me, given that it seems like there's unfortunately a decent likelihood they'd be early and even if they're to term it's hard to know. So I think they'd aim to come around my due date, by which time the babies should nearly certainly be born.

I'm still waiting on the nuchal report--I'm guessing I'll probably get it in a week or so, but I know no news is good news. The appointment schedule is something--the only annoyance is with work. I'm fervently hoping the first appointment was a bit of a lark--I was there for 3.5 hours--because otherwise it's going to absolutely massacre my workweeks (they can't do any appointments on weekends, only on weekdays). To be fair, everyone apologized profusely, and I think the snafu was that I needed so many different kinds of blood tests from different departments. But not that I'm complaining--I'm glad the babies are getting monitored, everyone at the high risk clinic seems great, and it's comforting in the face of all the scary stuff you hear about the risks of twins to know they're so competent and watching so closely. I'm also glad I'll get to know a few different consultants, given that there are so many variables with birth (c-sections are also way more likely with twins), it'll be good to have someone I have a relationship with in charge of whatever's happening.

As for the sonographer insisting my ovaries aren't polycystic: I still don't know what to make of that. My guess is that she wasn't looking that closely at them and, to be fair, it was the sonogram place you get to sent to for a nuchal--she was hyper focused on visualizing hands, feet, brain hemispheres, etc., so maybe it was just out of her purview. But you're right as a reminder that PCOS really is on hold with pregnancy. And, for whatever it's worth, I have heard that PCOS can be helped by pregnancy. Sometimes it throws your hormones back into whack, and having one pregnancy can make things much easier to have another (which is particularly good news for you!). My mother and my aunts all have PCOS (not all of them were diagnosed, but since they all had super irregular periods and they're all slender, so it seems like a fair guess), and all of them got pregnancy easily with their second children at exactly the age you'll be, so it's all to say, I think there's a lot on your side for things being smooth sailing.

Congratulations on wrapping up the Lion King (as exhausting as it must have been, it must have been so cute to see your students in those costume). Good luck this week--I hope it's at least giving you a breather now that the play is over. On my end, this is the last week of full term, so it's hectic but then at least I get a real break. And DH comes on Friday! Which is wonderful, and it'll be great to get to see him (he's on his spring break), and then we go back to the US together after. I'm already excited for my US trip, which is all the more exciting given that I've been feeling less nauseous this week. I've been surprised by having cravings for more raw veggies--I ate a huge amount of this salad last night (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/06/ ... -and-mint/), which absolutely hit the spot. Which I'm hoping bodes well for my crazy food aversions to be on the wane! I hope you are getting lots of tasty food and even managing to enjoy it (is the nausea all gone now?) and that your energy stays up!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:32 am

Ah! You are almost at 13 weeks, the official start to the second trimester! And your DH arrives tomorrow, what a lovely gift. I am just so happy for you right now :) If you PM me an address (maybe a work one?), I'd love to send you a little gift of celebration. If you don't feel comfortable, I completely understand, but I think this is something that definitely needs to be celebrated. How wonderful that you got to share the news with your family last weekend, it is such a terrific feeling and I can just imagine how they feel - especially learning about 2 babies! It's so sweet that they want to come visit, and I think you have the timing down well. If they come around your due date, then the babies will definitely be here by now, since as you pointed out most multiple births come a bit early. My parents just booked a whole month in Scotland to be sure they don't miss the baby, as if you go 2 weeks over they make you induce labour.

It's definitely a case of no news is good news for the nuchal, they would have called you if something was amiss, and it sounds like you're getting such great care. All I can think all the time when I'm treated by the NHS is just how expensive this would be if I was back in the US and paying insurance.

I hope that you aren't too exhausted from this week, but at least it is almost over! I ended up staying home sick today (which I never do!) but I just felt so rotten every time I stood up, and I remembered that I need to take care of my baby too. After a full day of rest, I think I can get back to it tomorrow, then have a rest this weekend. My mother in law is coming up to visit, so in reality, it won't be much of a rest but I hope she doesn't mind if I'm a bit lazy. How exciting that your US trip is already here, and perfect timing with you nausea going away! Mine disappeared basically right at the 13 week mark, and that's when my fruit and veggie crazy cravings kicked in. That salad looks AMAZING, I'm going to have to try it next week when I'm feeling better. I hope that your flight and trip go smoothly, and don't forget to take your folder full of notes and have health insurance that specifically covers pregnancy related things just in case. I had to be sure that the health insurance I bought for our babymoon covered early delivery and medvac for a baby, just in case. I'll only be 27 weeks, but since babies CAN be born that early I don't want to be caught out somewhere and paying through the nose for care! I'm sure your trip will be just fine, but we both know how terrible the US healthcare system is.

It's funny that they asked if you could feel any movement yet, I also thought 12 weeks was too early. But I suppose with two babies they take up more room so you'll most likely feel them earlier. I only felt the first teeny tiny bubbles at 18 weeks, and then real, full blown kicks around 20. How exciting that soon you'll be feeling the kicks soon too, and twice as many! I hope now that you're out of the first tri things will also speed up for you a bit. Somedays I think to myself - WOAH I'm really far along! And then when I realize I still have 16 weeks to go, I think actually that's a pretty long time and I'm not even close to meeting my little one. Days like today (where I lay around and rest and nap and watch movies) are nice, but also make the time just creep by. It makes me feel quite grateful for my busy schedule so time isn't dragging its feet along.

I've been very lazy with my workouts this week, but again with the not feeling well I'm trying to give myself a break. Oh and I didn't compete over the weekend! Hah, I'm way too pregnant for that :) I helped do the scoring, which involved walking between the judges tables, eating, walking, eating, and catching up with friends. I rested Monday, Yoga tuesday, then skipped spin last night because of feeling sick. I have a really hard time letting myself rest or being lazy, and I literally have to remind myself to be kind to my tired, changing body, and that it's okay if I don't get in my 5 workouts a week, or if I have a little extra ice cream. Are you this hard on yourself too? I feel like all the pregnancy books and articles I read are so judgemental, telling you to have some carrots instead of whatever you are really craving (like that works!) and I know we shouldn't gain too much weight, but this is the only time in our lives when we are supposed to put on weight, and can't we enjoy it a bit?! Okay, sorry, that turned into a bit of a random rant.

Anyhow, I know you are eagerly looking forward to tomorrow and your DH's arrival! How long will your US trip be for? I bet you can't wait to tell everyone in person! I hope you bought a fun shirt or something to share the news. If I don't hear from you before, have an amazing time!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:06 pm

I loved how you talk about that WHOA feeling--how did we get so far? I was thinking in the middle of today how amazing it is how far we've come. It's both early, but also far--the babies are the sizes of peaches, and my app tells me they have so many things! When we first crossed paths on this board it seemed like we were so far from our second trimesters, and now we're both here (I'm glad to hear you say 13 weeks is the second tri--I gave up on all the conflicting information, and I love having an official start of second tri date!). You have a gorgeous baby bump and are knocking on the door of your third tri! And babymoons and nursery decorating and more are coming up.

DH arrived today--poor guy, his plane was diverted to Manchester because of the fog and he was five hours late, but it's great to have him here. My term ended today too--whew, not a moment too soon. The end of term arrangements were rather frantic, enough so that I wasn't getting more than six hours of sleep the past few nights and I'm totally wiped. But it'll be nice to have things be chiller (and, of course, to get to work on my own writing, which I've ignored the past few weeks as things got hectic). DH and I are going to head to France for a week, too, which will be great to see friends (and do some work), and then we get to go back together to the US. Whew! And thanks for the tip, by the way--you're so right about the need to not step foot in the US without health care, but luckily I'm on DH's health insurance (until September), so I'm all set.

And you were totally right about the timing of feeling better. I've definitely felt less nauseous and I've been having more of an appetite. Suddenly vegetables sound delicious, which is a relief after a month where dark greens were really rough. Though a milkshake also sounded delicious this afternoon, so I had one. Mmm.

One random tip: have you seen the Babyname app? I thought of you struggling to get your husband to consider boy names, and I thought it might help. We're not really going to buckle down and hash out names until we know genders, but the app is a terrific place to start. You link with your husband, and you both choose through a vast list of names--it's set up like tinder, but for baby names (swipe left for ones you don't like, swipe right for ones you do) and the app keeps a list of ones both you and your husband like. I never was on tinder, but I can understand the appeal--it's kind of fun, and DH likes it too, and we already added a few more names to our list (well, unfortunately all girl names--Lucy, Margot--but hopefully we'll get some matches with the boy side of things). How's the name game coming along on your end?

I totally hear you on being hard on yourself! But it's so natural to not fit in five workouts--I mean, you're juggling so much, work-wise, and pregnancy itself is exhausting. (Also, that makes sense you weren't in the gymnastics competition--but it's awesome you were there to judge. Particularly given how busy you are, how cool you're doing so many activities--it sounds social and fun.) I've been trying to fit in several of those little pilates workouts, but I rarely do more than 20 minutes at a time. And I've definitely ended up letting days tick by when I'm exhausted and I want to lie down.

I also hear you on the judgmental tone of all the diet advice. And also on how ridiculous those "craving replacements" are--when you want ice cream, there is no conceivable way you want low-fat yogurt! Also, so much of the advice is just about lowering calories, which I think is less of an issue for me--eating the full fat yogurt is just fine, I don't need the fat free. I'm more interested in eating heathily than low-cal.

So far I've gained 2 kilos (and have a little belly while I will definitely send you a shot of!), which seems to be about normal for twins. (Though it was funny--when I first hopped on the scale at the doctor's office, I was shocked to see how much weight I'd gained, and then I realized I was still in my winter coat, boots, and carrying my backpack with books, computer, etc. You know it's a crazy week when you forget to take that stuff off). I had my appointment yesterday, which was mostly I think just to check my vital signs and to meet with the consultant at the high risk scene who deals mostly with multiples. He wanted to go through my medical history and set a schedule for more appointments, which was fine by me. Apparently the scans are at 18 weeks, 20 weeks (the anomaly scan), 22 weeks, 28 weeks, 32 weeks, and 36 weeks. He talked about the big things that are higher risk with twins and what they'll be looking for--pre-eclampsia, preterm labor, and bad/uneven growth. I like him (he's the same doctor who did my dating scan), and it was pretty chilled out. He said basically they have to watch for all those things more closely with twins, but that the overwhelming likelihood is that everything will be fine, which was good to hear ("you're healthy and everything looks good at 13 weeks; most likely the same will be true at 37"). There's always stuff to worry about (ttc, in pregnancy and I'm sure after)--but it's nice to also be able to kick back and enjoy it and try not to worry about the stuff that's less likely to happen. Are you feeling zen about all risks, or do you struggle with that balance too?

Anyway, whew. I'm glad you took a day off from work--following what your body needs is so necessary. And sometimes you just need that break. Particularly given that your weekend will be hectic given that your hosting. Do you get along well with your mother-in-law? I hope she'll help you nest, and also let you rest and relax!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:21 am

Im glad your DH has arrived safe and sound, delays and long trips of very nice! I hope that you are really enjoying your time together now and looking forward to your trip to France and the US and I'm glad to hear you have the insurance just in case! Are you just in Oxford this week relaxing? When do you head out for your trip? I can't believe you were only getting 6 hours of sleep, you really need twice that much. I guess that's work for you sometimes, As miserable as it can be.

Thanks for the tip about the baby name app, I downloaded it and sent the invite to my husband, and I think it's terrific! My hubby in the other hand isn't quite as enthused (yet!) and just seems quite stubborn about it all. My Mother in Law was here this weekend, and apparently when I went to bed early on Saturday night, my hubby and his mum stayed up chatting about lots of things, including baby names. The next morning she was all ready to offer me advice, including names she likes and doesn't like. I had to gently tell her that it is hard enough just for two of us to find names that we like, and that we weren't discussing names with others because it makes it too difficult. Luckily she got the hint, or I think it could have been an awkward conversation. The rest of the weekend was fine, we do get along well and she is a kind and thoughtful lady. It's more that hosting is not really relaxing at all, so I ended up being completely exhausted on Monday morning - definitely not what I needed! It's Wednesday now and I feel like I could sleep a whole week, but I've skipped so many workouts that I'm dragging myself to spin now... I really can't let myself just turn into a jiggly ball of fat. I've noticed my thighs getting less toned as my tummy gets bigger, and that freaks me out a bit. I've always had terrific legs. My sweet hubby just said that once the baby is out I'll be able to get back into my normal routine and be fine.

I'm glad to hear your most recent appointment went fine, and that even though your schedule of care seems quite busy you will be well looked after. I've got a midwives appointment in two weeks when they look for preeclampsia and GD. Wriggles is moving all the time now and I am feeling tons of different types of movements. Apparently s/he has a sense of direction now and is practicing going head down in prep for delivery (in 15 weeks! Eek!)

I read a few articles over the weekend (linked through Facebook), that were just full of parents complaining about being parents... 'Why parents are so tired' and things like that. I understand that parents need an outlet for their feelings, because nothing is great all the time, but I feel like all parents do is complain all the time... Suspiciously like pregnant women. Are parents really that miserable? Or do they not talk about the wonderful parts to being a parent? Are you finding anything similar? I find it especially coming as advice from other parents, saying things like, 'you'll never sleep again!' And 'enjoy quiet time because you won't get it for 20 more year' and similar statements. If they all find it so miserable, then why bother having a second, or third (!) child? Why can't they share positive things for someone who is about to be a mum?

Sorry for another random rant! Its parent teacher conferences this week and next, do things are worse than ever in terms of free time and stress. I hope the opposite is true for you now, and that you are enjoying a well deserved break!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

PreviousNext

Return to PCOS Support