pcos - TTC #1 - irregular cycle

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: pcos - TTC #1 - irregular cycle

Postby inthemetro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:08 am

Hey Little Bits, I just wanted to check in quickly. Sorry for the radio silence--I was super under the weather for the last few days. To be fair, it's not serious--some kind of minor flu/bad cold virus (though probably the latter because I got the flu shot a few months back)--but I was definitely miserable. I also had another day of that cursed brown cm, which definitely terrifies me, but apparently isn't medically significant (it wasn't red, accompanied by cramping, and I only saw it on Friday). I checked in with the doctors office, who said that it sounds like the babies aren't in trouble, phew. But--and not to be too much of a wimp, because I know there are people who are actually sick!--it's miserable to feel lousy and not be able to take much by the way of over the counter relief. I was lucky to have DH completely baby me, and I just stayed in bed, sniffing, sneezing, and feeling nauseous, and watched bad tv. It's also why I haven't yet gone to the Post Office to get your package--I'll definitely go tomorrow.

I'm sorry to hear how exhausting it was on your end hosting your MIL! I can only imagine. You want to be a good daughter-in-law, so even with a sweet and conscientious guest you want to run around and serve and make her comfortable. Given how hectic your jobs are and how busy you've been, you've really needed your weekends to lie low and recharge your batteries. It's nice that it was mostly sweet and she wants to be involved in your life, but I completely understand the double-edged sword element. I hope you can take it easier this week (or at least this weekend?). I'm understanding how important it is to slow down the pace in key ways with pregnancy. I think your body (and certainly your immune system!) are definitely not at full speed.

I think your thoughts on not sharing names with anyone in your family is a very wise idea. Everyone's got really intense opinions, and it's better to just reveal the name once Wriggles is here. I've been surprised by that, too. I talked to one friend about some name candidates, and she was like, "I have to veto Norah. I knew a Norah who was awful and I just can't call your baby Norah." Another friend told me very sternly not to use the name she had selected for her unborn child--and she's not even trying to get pregnant yet! Luckily her name choice isn't on our list, but it seemed weird to me (and I think all involved would survive just fine if friends use whatever "our" names turn out to be).

I'm also sorry your husband is so indifferent about baby name choosing. My DH is definitely less gung ho about it than I am. I feel like I'm way more of an earlier planner than he is, even though I accept that semi-tabling it for the moment seems totally fair until we find out the genders. If there are one or more boys, we've got some real searching to do, though. We only have two names we both kind of like (right now it's Simon and Noam), though the running list I have has a lot of girls' names we both really like (though narrowing those down will also be a challenge). We haven't even started to discuss middle names.

I think you're spot on about the negativity of early parenthood. I'm with you--all the doom and gloom about how you'l never have quiet again seems unnecessarily negative (and overwrought). At a friend's party last week I met a woman whose third child was seven weeks, and she seemed super chill. Her major advice was to be calm, and she said how people overexaggerate--I'm sure there's an element of luck that her baby already slept nights from 11 to 6 (and naps easily in the middle of the living room while her siblings play loudly), but I think it's also important to see that there are people for whom things work smoothly and not to expect disaster.

I love that you can feel all kind of Wriggles movement! And how incredible that s/he is practicing going head down already! That's crazy! I have a midwife's appointment on Wednesday, so I'm hoping she'll check the heartbeats on the doppler (I haven't had that yet, I think because my first appointment was too early for that). And I'm excited to get to feel them move. I'm also excited to start pick up some more maternity clothes in the US. I'm with you about loving maternity stuff, but I only bought leggings and jeans (I already had a a loose, elastic waste skirt and a pair of dress pants that work great for maternity wear, at least for another few months), but I bet it'll be time soon to have blouses and t-shirts. And my belly's just big enough so that none of my dresses fit. It's all getting real now!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)
7 cycles of clomid: bfn
first cycle injectables: bfp!

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Hey inthemetro! I'm so sorry to hear you've been unwell, it's even worse being sick when you're pregnant because you can't take anything! I'm glad your DH is there to pamper you and just let you rest - exactly what you need. I'm feeling quite tired, but by the end of the week I always am. Honestly, I can't believe I've only gotten sick once being around all the germy kids all day. Are you feeling back to 100% now?

I'm sorry you've experienced some of the crazy opinions of namers! I especially dislike the ones that tell me I can't take "their" name - like they own it? And if I'm pregnant first, I think I'll name my baby whatever I dang well please. We've kind of tabled the name discussion for now, although I'm sure it will pick back up as we get closer. My hubby did say that Benjamin wasn't that bad - it's just the fact that he isn't thrilled with it. I will also like William as another choice, but I suppose we'll just have to keep working on it.

How are you feeling over there - almost 15 weeks already! Whoa! Are you on your trip already? I'm sorry I know I've asked before I just can't seem to remember. We've just started our "Easter" break (Friday off and Monday off around Easter) and then I'm back at school for three days, then we get our two weeks of spring break and I'm off to Majorca for some sunshine and beach and relaxing time!

I wonder if you'll start feeling movement soon with the two of them in there already fighting for space. With your clothes starting not to fit, it really is getting real!! I had a little panic yesterday when I hadn't really felt wriggles moved at all during the day, so I took the midwife's advice and ate something sugary and laid on my side, counting any movement. It turns out Wriggles was moving, just in a new way. Instead of kicking out into my tummy, s/he is kicking down into my bladder. It is a strange feeling for sure, and sometimes it just feels like my tummy is rumbling, except really low down in my pelvis. The bump is REALLY there now and I finally, really, truly just look pregnant and I have to say I'm loving it. I think I read a mom somewhere who said she had "reverse body dysmophia" where she felt she just looked stunning when she was pregnant when really she just looked normal, pregnant and a bit rounder. I'm always so disappointed in my photos as I feel like I surely must look better!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to a nice calm weekend with a friend who is visiting, and then just a few days of work to get through, then more holiday! I can't even think past April 18th (end of holiday), because I know the time will just drag on after that. Hope you are well and that the brown cm goes away -how annoying, even if it's not harmful. Definitely enjoy yourself, you deserve it!
Me: 28, mild PCOS, history of large cysts that rupture, stage 1 endometriosis resulting in severe abdominal pain, lap to remove endo and adhesions (4/28), HSG shows clear tubes.
Clomid 50mg (6/15) - no response
Clomid 100mg (8/15) - scan shows ONE follicle!!
DH: 34, perfect in every way
TTC since August 2014
First ever BFP October 22!! :bfp:

http://wishingformyrainbow.blogspot.co.uk/

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:07 am

I love that you can feel all manner of Wriggles kicks! The midwife asked me if I've felt anything, and I definitely haven't yet, but she said 18-21 weeks is standard for first time moms. And your bump is beautiful and you are glowing--you're right, there's absolutely now way anyone would mistake you for anything but pregnant now!

It makes sense about tabling the name discussion. I mean, as much as it seems like we're getting so close, there are a few months yet. And the Benjamin news is really heartening: I think it's a beautiful name (and, for whatever it's worth, I have so many Bens in my life who are great people). And William's a great choice too--I love Will as a nickname, and I think it's another name that's adorable for a baby but beautiful and almost regal as he gets older. Are you narrowed down on girls' names? Our current favorites for girls are Margot, Lucy/Lucie, Stella, Eloise, and Violet--I love them all, so I'm feeling good on at least that front, but on the boy front we'll have to get cracking. It's amazing how fussy you have to be with names. I don't want something too common, but also not too crazily uncommon; something that doesn't have nicknames we hate; something that will age well with the baby; something that doesn't have to be super Jewish, but it can't sound too Wasp-y (and obviously not something like Christopher); it can't be the name of someone close to us in our life; and it has to work with DH's last name, which is what I think we're going with. Whew. Anyway, I've definitely found people can be weird about baby names, but it's nice to be able to talk to you about it (particularly given that we're going to keep it on the downlow from most people until they're born and it's all set).

Also, one strategic question. Have you looked into the US Embassy's rules for getting passports for babies? I figured it was worth figuring out what I need (particularly because we'll need to get the babies their SSN and passports very quickly in order to travel when they're a few months old). It seems awfully confusing. DH and I are both US citizens, so I figured it'd be super straightforward if we showed up to the embassy in London with our marriage license and our passports and our birth certificates and the babies' birth certificates, but the website seemed to imply that we needed our school transcripts and proof of having had US residency! Which seems weird--we were both born in the US and we can get a hold of all those transcripts, but it'd be a pain in the neck (I have my college and grad school transcripts scanned, but who has their high school transcripts lying around?). And what to do they mean by proof of time lived in the US? I mean, I grew up there, but I'm not sure what kinds of documents I'd have to bring to show that, exactly.

I'm impressed you've only gotten sick once despite working in a school. That's wonderful--and probably a reflection of your super healthy lifestyle (all that exercise and fruits and veggies is paying off dividends). I'm happy to report I'm feeling better again, and the brown cm is gone (hopefully for good this time). I'm also back to doing pilates, which feels good. I'm back in the US on Sunday, and I've already signed up for a few prenatal exercise classes (which are way cheaper and easier to get to in New York than here). In the meantime, I'm so glad that you've only got short weeks ahead, and then Majorca!! You must be so excited. What a well deserved baby moon, and I can imagine you're counting down the days. Did you find decent maternity shorts and assorted beachwear?

Though more immediately, enjoy your nice calm weekend. That sounds perfect, and just what you need (and I'm glad it's your friend and not your MIL). I'm finishing up work and then will pack tomorrow, but I'm psyched to go back and see everyone. Yay for looking forward to all kinds of pregnant travel!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:48 pm

I can't believe I haven't been on here in a week! I've just had my last push through before the end of term and it felt like a mad rush every day, plus I think the pregnancy is really catching up with me. We had to run errands like grocery shopping and picking out curtains on Monday and by the third shop I nearly wanted to cry I was so tired. Getting in and out of the car is also feeling like more of a chore with the beach ball in the way. Not that I'm complaining, but I am looking forward to a rest :) The kicks and other movements have now gotten so large that you can actually see my tummy moving from the outside and instead of a flopping fish it's like a whale trying to escape through my belly button. I'm not going to lie - I LOVE IT. I sit there holding my tummy and talking to my precious little one. My DH has really enjoyed it too as the movements are no longer, "Can you feel it?" but, "AH! That was a huge kick! What are you doing in there Wriggles?!" Not long now until you start feeling movement too.... so so exciting!!

I love your girl name choices - all easy to say and spell, but also feminine and unique. I've got a Lucie and Stella in my current classroom and they are absolute sweet hearts. And I totally get you on how complicated it can get to choose names. As a teacher I've had so many little terrors that have ruined names for me, and then our last name is so crazy that we had to rule out anything starting with an "s", "sh" or "ch" (so no Charles!). Hubby and I both liked David, but three of my cousins are all named David and I feel it's just a bit too common. I suppose at some point we need to buckle down and really decide on two or three names to be ready in case it really ends up being a boy.

It's so funny you should ask about getting passports for your babies. I was literally just looking at this last weekend! I also couldn't believe that I had to prove that I lived in America after I was 18. I've got my university transcript, and my parents suggested I contact my old high school and ask them to send my transcript over for that. That will be 7 years of proof, more than enough to go along with all the other documents they need. Apparently you can use anything that shows you lived in the US for at least 5 years after you were 14 - things like SS payments, rental contracts, maybe employment records as well? Do your college and grad school transcripts add up to 5 years? I guess they just want to be sure you lived in the US as an adult and not just a child.

How is your trip going? Have you been telling people in person? I'm glad you're feeling better and I hope that your trip was easy and uneventful and that you got there quickly. I'm glad you've got some prenatal classes lined up - let me know how they go! I'm flying out Saturday morning (6am!! Eek!) but then will be really happy to have arrived early and have the whole week to rest and relax. We're bringing a whole pile of board games, books and movies and I'm taking a break from my online work as well. I'll bring along my iPad as I'd like to keep in touch with the world a little bit, but not be tempted to do any work. Sometimes the body just needs a little break!

So I've got a midwife's appointment tomorrow, but nothing exciting planned (just urine, blood, and a few measurements) and then I can't believe that next week I'm in month 7 and the third trimester officially. Time is both flying and crawling by. I am so excited to meet my little one, while also hoping to keep him/her inside and protected for a lot longer. I'll let you know if anything exciting happens, but until then I hope your trip is fun and restful and that you get to enjoy all the wonderful food of America (and have a real bagel for me!)
Me: 28, mild PCOS, history of large cysts that rupture, stage 1 endometriosis resulting in severe abdominal pain, lap to remove endo and adhesions (4/28), HSG shows clear tubes.
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:56 am

I love your descriptions of Wriggles' kicks! And your whole belly moves--wow! I think your DH's running commentary is the cutest thing, too. That said, I sympathize for feeling like a whale, and having things like tying your shoes and getting out of the car be difficult. My bump is really there, but still small--I think you'd have to know what my belly looked like before to be sure I'm pregnant (I doubt someone on the street would know--I could just have a somewhat disproportionate belly). It's funny--I've felt like I gained a ton of weight, but as of my last appointment it was just 7 pounds. I think it's that the bump just feels so major. Also, one other thing: I finally caved and bought a Boppy maternity pillow, and it's my new favorite thing. It makes sleeping so much easier--it's easier to stay perfectly on my side without tipping (which had been happening--I'd tip on to my belly and wake up uncomfortably).

I also hear you on being busy! Man, that sounds like a hectic week, and I sympathize for all the errands. I think we underestimate how draining pregnancy can be. I flew back to the US a week ago, and it's been wonderful being back. I've eaten plenty of bagels, seen friends and family, and basically enjoying spring and the warm weather and the city. Though I think I may have pushed it too hard, seeing people and being out and about. Thursday night I woke up feeling awful, threw up a bunch, and then I literally slept for nearly all of Friday--I think I probably slept 18-20 hours out of 24. I was so exhausted I was lucky DH was around to take care of me--he took the day off and even made sure to refill my water glass so I could just lay in bed all day. I woke up today feeling great (and hungry again, phew), which made me think my body was just so wiped out (from the travel and the excitement) I just needed a day of total rest.

Anyway, it's to say, I think it's terrific you're off for your week of vacation and rest. What a nice idea to take your iPad but leave your computer at home--very smart, in my opinion. And as brutal as the 6 am flight is, you're right it'll be nice to get there early--and you'll take it easy I'm sure! I hope you have some good novels to read beachside.

My big news: I went for a sonogram this week. The big thing was to check cervical length. I think that's just a thing with twin pregnancies--they do it periodically because it's a good predictor about whether you're at risk for preterm labor. Luckily all's good on that front--it's super long (and dangerous = short). Since I was seeing the doctor in New York, he figured he'd look at the babies too while we were there. This was particularly nice because it was the first time DH was able to make a sonogram, so he was particularly enthralled. He had the reaction I had had at the nuchal--he asked the doctor whether all the movement on the screen was because of the machine, and the doctor had to tell him it was the babies moving.

We of course wanted to know genders: we found out one baby is a boy, and the other baby is...shy. It feels kind of magical getting to think about my son! Baby boy is twin 1--he's closest to the cervix--and was basically twirling in there, and we got to see him really clearly. Twin 2 was positioned badly, so could really be either way (though it seems that if there was a penis it would have been easier to catch a glimpse, for whatever that's worth). Most importantly, both babies look great. (Though the one thing of note is that baby boy's placenta is low-lying. Most likely it'll move on its own, but the worst case scenario if it doesn't is that I'll need to deliver by c-section--it won't hurt his development in the interim, though.) Both DH and I are hoping the second baby is a girl, but particularly knowing that we're having a son (and getting to savor it) makes it easier to envision having two. Plus I can see the allure of having two same-sex twins who are incredibly close. I'm hoping we'll get to know the second gender at the anomaly scan--apparently even if the baby's positioned badly they'll go through some effort to encourage the baby to move (sipping cold water, having a sugary snack, etc). In the meantime, it creates some challenges in referring to them--if I talk about my son and my other child it makes it sound like I'm really playing favorites! And we're trying to get moving on boy names. I hear you on the boy name difficulty--and I also like David, but I have an uncle who's David and it seems like there are Davids everywhere. DH in the interim has nixed Simon--oh well--but we've come up with one we both like: Theo.

Thanks also for the tips on citizenship! Weird how complicated it is. I'll work on getting both my and DH's high school transcripts now--it's helpful that you only have to prove five years after age 14. Our college and grad school transcripts cover an enormous amount of time, too (4 years + 7 years, so combined with high school that brings us both through 15 years--and DH also did a masters, so he's got two more years worth of transcripts). DH has most of his lease paperwork, but I've long lost virtually all of mine, so I figure that's got to be good enough.

I hope the midwife's appointment went well. I think it's always exciting to pass another milestone. And I can't believe you're knocking on the third trimester's door! Whew! That's wonderful. You're in the getting ready phase of things. For now, enjoy your vacation. Bon voyage, kick back, take it easy, and enjoy the beach and the spa. I can't wait to hear all about it afterward (and see pictures of the beach bump)!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:28 am

First, congratulations on your baby boy! How exciting! Now you really will have to buckle down and think of names and Theo is a great start. I'm sure your DH was so excited to finally be there with you to see your sweet babies, it makes it so much more real, doesn't it? When exactly is your anomaly scan? I couldn't imagine knowing one gender and not the other. Like you said, it makes one baby very real (your son! My goodness!) and then the other baby just kind of there. On a separate note, I'm glad to hear all is well and your cervical length looks good. You're 16 weeks already, to me it feels like it's just flying by now, how do you feel overall?

I completely understand your feeling about visiting friends and totally exhausting yourself. Think of how much energy your body is using to grow your two precious babies! I'm sorry you got sick, but it's good you had the chance to rest and relax and have your DH take care of you. Is the nausea mostly gone now? Have you told the wider world (like social media) about your news, and if so, how did you share it? Are you enjoying being back and have you gotten to do everything and see everyone you wanted to? Trips home to visit can be so exhausting but so worth it.

The third trimester starts tomorrow for me at 28 weeks (eek!) and I can't believe I'm here already. We 're staying in a hotel overlooking the ocean, and it is so peaceful and lovely. I am now really, truly, looking pregnant with people talking to me out of the blue about my baby and I've gained 10 kilos(!!). I told my husband and he couldn't believe it, as now I seem to be all bump and boobs, but definitely not 10 kilos worth. I suppose we forget about the weight of the 40% extra blood, placenta, amniotic fluid, and fun fat stores that increase the weight so much, since the baby right now is only about 1 kilo. Honestly, I am still loving feeling and looking pregnant, and the resort we're staying everyone seems to be trying to take care of me - offering chairs, getting me extra pillows and towels, asking how I am and how long I have to go and then telling me I look like I'm about to pop (for the record, I think I'm going to get a lot larger - I'm so short that baby has to grow somehow so it's going to be out!). It's funny how once you are publicly so pregnant people think it's okay to comment on you, but then most women must just feel a bit of a connection if they were once pregnant too.

My midwife's appointment went well, and I'm measuring right on schedule, with all other stats normal. My next meeting is in a month, so I don't have much to look forward to for a while. I've had a couple new symptoms in the last week, like the onset of heat rash at the top of my tummy, probably from all the tights and pants with the high elastic waistband that rub there a bit too much. Back pain has also reared its ugly head, with it being difficult for me to walk or sit without some kind of pain. I think it's probably better when I'm working because I'm standing all day, but DH has been great about rubbing the sore spots and I'm trying to find somewhere that will do prenatal massages.

While on holiday we plan on doing pretty much nothing, which has been so relaxing. I found a few cafes that make delicious 'child cocktails' and alcohol fre beer, so I do feel like I'm relaxing. I'm reading real books, napping and soaking in the sunshine. I'm starting to read up more on birthing techniques, and I think I've settled with hypnobirthing. One of my friends did it and spoke very highly of it, and it seems to focus on mind over body, something I'm familiar with during my races.

Well, we're off for a lazy walk to find a cafe to read in and relax in. Hope you're having a great week!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:49 am

I forgot to include a bump picture from the beach! Definitely looking pregnant these days :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6m60gly71lxy ... 6.jpg?dl=0

(Sorry the file is too big and it won't let me attach it!)
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:10 pm

What a gorgeous photo! Enjoy the whole vacation. It sounds like the perfect balance between beach time, relaxing café time (and how cool about the "child cocktails!" The mocktail moment is wonderful for us), and romantic times with your husband. What an awesome bump! I can imagine how exciting it must be to be in the obviously pregnant phase of things. How nice that people are going out of their way to do nice things for you and take care of you. It is interesting how so many women click into the camaraderie of recalling their own pregnancies/childbirth/childrearing.

On the other hand, I get the irritating aspect of some of it. I've already noticed it with people commenting on my bump--I think that's changing (and will change quickly!), but for the initial period after my reveal I got a lot of "but you look way too small!" comments. Which was vaguely alarming to me, even though I knew rationally there's an enormous variation in how "big" people look and it doesn't mean much. Anyway, it's just to say, there's also a lot of judgement/invasive comments, which is a weirder aspect of pregnancy.

I'm glad to hear you got sent off on your vacation with another perfect midwife's appointment. That must have been a nice thing to have under your belt pre-departure. And you're gaining just the right amount of weight too. You're of course right about how much weight you gain for things other than the baby, but Wriggles hitting the 1 kilo mark sounds big to me! It's also great that you're into hypnobirthing--it sounds like an incredibly useful thing to be reading up on now. I'm sorry to hear about the back pain. I can imagine how rough that must be. I've started to have a little myself, and while in Oxford prenatal massages locally seem very pricey, now that I'm back in the US I've signed myself up for a few to take advantage of the fact they are offered everywhere and are pretty reasonably priced. Though in general I can't complain--I've been feeling great. I like having a real (though still petite) bump, and my energy and appetite have been roaring back. I'm also thoroughly enjoying having made the move into maternity clothing. You're right about time flying by--I can already see how fast the second tri is going to pass us by (though I'm already looking forward to my anomaly scan, which is on April 29th). It's definitely a great time to be back stateside, seeing people and enjoying doing things. My work is also flexible, which is great because it lets me indulge in naps (ahh).

DH and I are also trying to get moving on the registry and figuring out big ticket baby items, in particular the travel system. I think we're going to try to do a really fancy stroller/travel system/all-in-one, which seems like the best bet for space saving (we're apartment dwellers and frequent travelers), the fact that we don't own a car but still need car seats, and the fact my parents have generously offered to pay for the thing. We've got to go to the store and try them out (happily it seems like all the big brands in the US are also easily available in the UK), but I'm hoping the gamble not to do both pays off. But otherwise it's been helpful going through friends' registries and realizing that, despite the fact we want to be fairly minimalist, we still need these things I hadn't even thought of but now realize we'll definitely need (e.g. crib mattress protectors). Others we're still trying to sort out--do we need a bouncer? A playmat? How many of each? Have you gotten a breast pump, by the way? I was going to ask when I get back to the UK about whether or not there's a possibility to rent one, which seems like the best option give how pricey they are.

We've also done the reveal to all family and friends. It was nice getting to tell people individually. A few family friends gave us adorable outfits, which are the cutest things--we're definitely not going to get fancy clothes for them (we're thrilled with hand me downs and buying second hand), but having a few special super fancy identical outfits is undeniably adorable. We still haven't done a big social media reveal, in large part because we had planned it as a gender reveal. I think we'll probably do it around 20 weeks anyway, and just figure out an alternative in case our shy baby stays shy.

One other small thing: if Wriggles turns out to be a boy, have you thought about circumcision? I have to ask at my next appointment how that works in the UK. We really want to have our little boy circumcised, but DH and I decided not to do a bris--our family is so far away, and to be honest I like the idea of having it at the hospital better. I know it's not common in the UK, but I hope it's easy enough just to arrange at the hospital when he (or, if there are two boys, they) are newborns.

I'm glad you're getting such richly deserved relaxation! Enjoy the time, soak in all great weather, and happy vacation!!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:21 am

Hey inthemetro! I am really loving having enough energy and respond to your messages. It almost makes me dread going back to work... Almost...

Ver had another relaxing day here, with more random comments about my bump. I totally get what you mean when people say you are way too small (or in my case, too big!) but I think what I've noticed is that in reality, even women who have been pregnant before hav absolutely no concept of how big or how small a bump should be at any time in the pregnancy. Most women it seems don't even have a vaguely noticeable bump until they hit 18-20 weeks but often I even longer depending on body type. Then suddenly you explode (me at 28 weeks!) and you're gigantic! I certainly feel large now, with getting out of bed, bending down (and sideways!) are all quite challenging... And I still have 12 more weeks.

I've had a few new random symptoms, for example a part of my stomach going numb just under my right breast and at the top of my bump. It seems many women experience it, as the stomach is pulled so tightly that the nerves compress. And this baby is only going to get bigger! Also last night, Wriggles got stuck in a weird position with sharp pointy things poking down at the bottom of my uterus and into my bladder, which made it excruciating to breathe. We think s/he was straight up and down taking all the room so every time my lungs expanded, sharp elbows or feet pushed into my organs. Ouch. My DH talked to Wriggles a whole bunch and squeezed and pushed here and there until I could feel wriggles turning around inside me and the pain subsided so I could sleep. I've also stopped being hungry, which might be because my stomach has no room at all, but I'm still trying to eat regularly. It seems like I went from no trouble at all being pregnant, to stepping over the third trimester threshold into a whole world of new symptoms! Not that I'm complaining, it's just bizarre after how great I've been feeling. Oy vey, sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining - I am still so grateful for this little miracle!

I love that you finally get to think about the big list baby things! Our stroller just came in the mail the day before we left for our trip, and we also opted for the all in one travel decided on the UppaBaby Vista 2015, which comes with everything you need, plus can be made to carry two kiddos (helpful for twins and second babies, should they come). It folds down easy, has big comfortable wheels for walking out by the river trail, a large sunshade, etc. we thought we wanted a MaxiCosi for a car seat, but after having a nursery consultation at John Lewis (which is free and definitely recommended, by the way!) we decided buy the BeSafe Izi Go Modular car seat, which is iSize compliant (a new standard put in place) and slightly less expensive than the MaxiCosi, as well as lighter, and what we felt was a more personalized fit. I totally get what you mean about wanting to keep baby stuff to a minimum, but there are so many things to get either way! We've decided to cloth diaper once our little one reaches about 8lbs and they fit into the One Size adjustable diapers we've bought. We're hoping it will help us save money and a bit of the environment, and a few of our friends cloth diapered and recommended it. I am getting a breast pump as well, and after drowning in all the reviews and comments about all the top brands, I went with the Medela Swing double electric pump. I looked into rentals too, but it seemed so much more expensive in the end if you want to pump for several months. Buying second hand seems out as well, as you cannot guarantee the old pump is actually sterile. Some things it seems I just have to buy new (like the cot and car seat) and then everything else can be second hand. I got a lot of things at my last minute baby shower, and from my friends suggestions I decided on a bouncer (a safe place to put baby if you need a shower or throw in a load of laundry and still want to see them, as it's super portable), a Nuna Leaf swing (a gift from a family friend, in case I need a bit of time on my own but baby needs to be moving), and a play mat that grows with baby into an activity station. It is really hard to know what you'll need, and what Wriggles will like. At least you don't need to buy two of anything, if you have a few safe places for baby, you can move them from one to another.

Congrats on doing the reveal to friends and family! I bet they were so excited, and it must have been nice to be there with them to get their reactions in person. Did you have any type of big gathering with many people, or have you just been sharing perosn by person? It's so sweet people are already showering you with gifts, and it is nice to have a few special matching outfits. I understand waiting for the big social media reveal until the genders are known, that definitely makes sense. I'm sure they'll be able to figure out if baby #2 is a boy or a girl by then!

You bring up a really good point about circumcision, which I would also choose to be at the hospital should we have a boy. It's actually quite a touchy subject for us, because my DH is not Jewish (he's not anything), so it has always been understood that our children would be Jewish (through me). My DH isn't comfortable with making a big decision Like circumcision for our child when they are just born, and I never realized it would be a problem as it was never something I thought to talk about. Now I think I'm hoping it's a baby girl so we don't have to get into any kind of argument over it. I guess I'll deal with it when we get to that? Anyhow, it's definitely something I need to look into, just in case.

With all that going on, I think I need a massage- good thing I found one! If I enjoy it, I think I'll get another one tomorrow, pregnant ladies need their massages after all. Have a great day!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby jshopeful » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:09 pm

Hey ladies!!

So just wanted to update you that my beautiful baby girl #2 was born
Via csection on March 31st 2016 8lbs 12 oz and she's absolutely perfect!
I so much want to add a photo but it keeps saying photos are to large, do you know how I can shrink it?

I wish you both nothing but success and happy healthy babies and will continue to stalk this page until I see pics of the little ones!!

I'll try to add my Facebook link to see if you Guys can view her but I'm terrible with technology!!

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... =bookmarks
Healthy girl born 04/12/13 - 1 cycle of clomid 50mg progesterone
TCC: baby #2! - BFP on 07/22/15 - 2 cycles of clomid 50mg with progesterone
EDD: March 28th, 2016
jshopeful
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Little_Bits » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:33 am

Hey Jshopeful, It's so nice you've come back to say hello!! And congrats on your new arrival! You must be over the moon with joy. I also struggle with posting pictures (no matter what I do, it says it's too large), so I've recently had to link my pictures through my DropBox public folder. Quite a hassle I'll tell you! Things for me are going well, I've only got 11 weeks left and I'm in the home stretch. I'm mostly feeling good, but back pain and now potential gallstones are making moving, breathing and existing quite uncomfortable. Still, I'm more than happy for all of it if I get a baby in the end :) I've just come back from a babymoon and it was so lovely and relaxing, just what I needed! I'm really dreading going back to work, not because I don't love my work but because it is such long day with the kiddos.

I'm off to pick up some nursery curtains today, and I'm really enjoying getting the baby's room ready! I'd love to hear updates on your days with a newborn. So exciting!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:33 am

Congratulations jshopeful! That's wonderful news. And such a big baby, too! I've also struggled with posting pictures, and as someone who's not super technologically savvy, I've found the easiest is to email it to myself on my iPhone, and if you take the option for the lowest resolution, it's always small enough. More importantly, I hope you're doing well and your daughter is delighted with the new baby.

Sorry first of all for being incredibly slow to reply--things have been both busy back in the US and also really nice (including a surprise baby shower!). Little Bits, I'm so glad your baby moon was lovely and relaxing. With how busy you've been it's definitely fantastic you got to take a real break and fully recharge your batteries. I love what you wrote on your blog about how it was a great way for you and your DH to connect as a family. I'm hoping we get that, too--I think that's the most important thing, to take that time and space as a couple. Particularly because (as you will be!) we'll be pretty busy until the very end of the pregnancy (and by that point I'm sure we'll have a ton of last minute setting up, there will be constant doctors appointments, I'll be uncomfortable, etc.). It seems like this is the right time to do it, as discomforts are mounting but you're still mobile and can really enjoy it.

Also, no need to worry about complaining. I think we can be both simultaneously deeply grateful--what miracles we're expecting and we've made it this far!--and also still be bothered by the discomforts. I'm sorry the third trimester has been rough. All those aches and pains sound awful. And I don't know what the gallbladder issue is like--are the doctors watching that or treating it? And I can imagine how uncomfortable the back pain will get--I feel like I'm finally getting decidedly big--I have a real bump, and I seem to be steadily gaining 1-1.5 lb a week, so I'm getting a little alarmed thinking about how big I'll be at the end! So far I've been sleeping like a champ, but I hope that doesn't let up--though I've noticed I've had to go to the bathroom even more lately (pressure on my bladder?). Anyway, I hope you got plenty of massages--pregnancy definitely means you've earned it!

Thanks for letting me know your big purchase choices--very helpful! Also, I love how we independently came to the same stroller. It seems like the Uppababy Vista is a really popular choice. It looks comfortable, relatively easy to configure (as far as these things go), and flexible for the whole stroller life of the baby. And of course it makes total sense for you, in the sense that you can convert it into a double if you end up adding to your family soon after Wriggles is born. I've talked to a few acquaintances (and even one couple we saw with two small children in the park) who have it and they all really like it--and all of them have two small children close in age, so that bodes well for you! Thanks for the tip on car seats--we need to get on that soon. I think car seats are the only big ticket item we haven't yet figured out the model we want, besides the breast pump--I'm still on the fence about it, because it just seems like there are so many things that could happen that would make it a bad purchase (at least with twins it seems like those risks are higher--everything from them having to be in the NICU to me being sick to my body just not being able to produce enough milk. Hard to tell). We ended up registering for two bouncers and one activity station (that converts so it's supposed to be useful for toddlers). So many people swear by the bouncers I'm hoping the babies like them, and if the activity station is a big hit we'll get a second one. And I'm loving the adorable swaddles, bibs, and all that cute baby equipment we registered for.

I hear you about touchy subjects. It seems like since circumcision is so much less common in Europe it's a bigger deal to decide to do it. My SIL didn't have her sons circumcised because her husband is not Jewish and was really opposed. After I look into it I'll let you know what I find out--I'm guessing it should be easy enough to get done at the hospital (in the area there aren't many Jews, but there are many Muslim families), but I'll figure that one out in the weeks ahead.

Meanwhile it's just been great seeing family and friends. Everyone's been thrilled about our news and can't wait to meet the babies, which makes me happy we'll be back in the US pretty early. I've got some work things (including a conference next week) but it's also been fun just hanging around, seeing a ton of people, going to dinners, and enjoying the extra second trimester energy and stability. Our shower was a lovely brunch--bagels, babka, and close friends from different parts of our lives. A friend who's an excellent amateur photographer took a bunch of photos, which was great--I feel like we got a maternity shoot, and at 17 weeks I think my belly's finally big enough to really be obviously pregnant. I'm happy to have another ten days here hanging with everyone here. And I hope your return home goes smoothly and that you're feeling rejuvenated for going back to work!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Hey inthemetro! I've just come back from Denmark, my last pre-baby trip and I can definitely say I am feeling it. Usually I'm all up for walking everywhere, but I ended up taking a cab one day, and just waiting and resting at cafes for everyone else between attractions. My back is killing me, and my abdominal pain has not eased up. In fact yesterday when I was watching the gymnastics competition, it was nearly constant for an hour and boy was it intense. At that point I wished I was home, just in case there were any problems. I took some more of my prescribed pain medication and it dulled it a bit, but it looks like I'll have to go see the doctor again. I had a scan right before I left, and they couldn't see any gallstones, but the doctor thinks I have "sludge" which is thicker liquid in the gallbladder that hasn't solidified enough to show up in an ultrasound but that causes the same pain.

Anyway, enough whining, tell me more about the baby shower! Did you play any games? Do you have enough room to bring everything home? How lovely they threw you one! Especially now that you're showing a bit and feeling pretty good, it must have been so wonderful to celebrate with everyone. It sounds like you are quite busy, just don't forget to rest and put your feet up whenever you can, you are growing two lovely babies. How lovely you even got a bit of a photoshoot too! I'm sure you will really treasure those photos, especially as you grow bigger. You've got a few more days left in the US now, I hope you are seeing and doing everything special there! We're back to work tomorrow now, and it's only 8 more weeks until I finish work (phew!) Wriggles is moving like crazy inside, as s/he is rapidly running out of room. I am loving feeling the big tumbles and rolls and elbows, even if it means more bathroom trips.

It's great you're already working on all the big purchases, as things just seem to get busier and speed up in the third trimester, and you're already 18 weeks!! For the car-seats, definitely look into one that is isize compliant, as I've read a lot of parents aren't yet informed about this and it seems pretty important. And I definitely hear you on the breast pump - it seems no matter the pump there were people who loved/hated them, there was no real consensus. It's so frustrating because I feel like there should be a clear front-runner, but there isn't! Let me know what your choice ends up being, I know it might be difficult as it's such a big purchase and you're unsure about the circumstances surrounding your babies' births.

Well, it's another big day tomorrow and I'm so sad my relaxing two week break is already over. We have a few holidays in May and June, but it will be pretty full on until I start maternity leave. I think if this pain I'm having doesn't subside, I might have to start my leave earlier than I wanted, I guess I'll just have to play it by ear and see and I'm lucky that my school seems pretty flexible with when I go off, as long as I keep them informed. Hope you're doing well and enjoying yourself!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:41 pm

I'm impressed with all your travel. Wriggles has already seen the world! How was Denmark? Were you visiting friends, or just going to see the sights? I've heard it's beautiful, but I've never been. How wonderful you're getting so much travel in before Wriggles' entrance on the world stage. How did the baby moon wrap up? Do you feel residually rested?

I'm also sorry to hear how much more you've been struggling. You're not whining at all--the gall bladder pain sounds awful. Is there anything the doctor can do to treat it (or help the underlying symptoms and stop the sludge), or is your only option pain relief? And I hear you on the increasing aches and pains of pregnancy. I'm still feeling pretty good--knock on wood--but my back gets achey after a long day. I'm also getting enormous! I'm not gaining weight that fast--it seems like about a pound a week--but my belly's growing so quickly. I suddenly have this giant, obviously pregnant belly. Which is kind of shocking--I'm a little worried now it's huge! I'll send a bump pic. I have a good friend I've been hanging out with who's 25 weeks pregnant and we're about the same size (though she's pregnant with a singleton).

It's also been a hectic week, both on work and social fronts (I fly back to the UK on Sunday), but also in terms of baby news. When I saw the doctor here they did blood work, including a second semester quad screen. I found out Monday I screened positive on it, with the results indicating a high risk of Down syndrome. Though as I learned in the flurry of appointments that followed, it's not as cut and dry as it seems. It's not a test that's done much in the UK, or even very often in the US any more--the quad screen is considerably less accurate than the nuchal, which was relieving given how good my nuchal results were. The quad screen is also less accurate for twins. In any case, I ended up getting a Maternit21 test--it's a non-invasive test (it's just a blood test, so zero risk to the babies) that's highly accurate by reading fetal DNA--and I should have the results next week. If I screen negative on that I think I'll be confident the quad screen was a false positive. To be honest I'm not sure what I'll do if I screen positive. I'd be on the fence about an amnio--not really because I'd have a termination, but because I would want to be fully prepared and know for sure that I'm having a baby with Down syndrome. DH and I have to talk more, but I'm not totally sure. I spoke with a genetic counselor, who thinks there's a very good shot it's a false positive, given my nuchal results and how inaccurate the test is with twin pregnancies. So for now I'm cautiously optimistic, and trying to take it one step at a time.

In the meantime, the doctor advised rushing to have an early anomaly scan. The logic was that the Maternit21 results will probably come back before my scheduled British anomaly scan. Plus, I realized with non-invasive testing there was no real down side, and if the anomaly scan showed soft markers for Downs that would be important information to have. So I had that yesterday, and it was a relief to see the babies looking amazing. Both look perfect--no hint of soft markers for down syndrome (not in and of itself that definitive, of course, but still, comforting) or any other problem. It was almost funny--when the sonographer was looking at the second twin and said, "Do you see that?" I had no idea what I was looking at and was instantly terrified it was some kind of defect. But it was actually the gender! Baby B turns out to be a little girl. I was in awe--baby boy was all sprawled out, looking as frenetic as ever, and baby girl was curled up in a ball and sucking her thumb. I couldn't be happier--a little boy and a little girl sounds like the perfect combination. Also, I was relieved that one of my secret biggest fears about the twins won't come true: I was secretly terrified they'd be identical and I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

I was relieved to see the babies looking so lively and lovely. They're getting bigger--baby boy was 11 ounces, and baby girl was 8. (Apparently their size differential is okay because baby girl is right on track--a few days ahead, even--and it's just that her brother is measuring 1.5 weeks ahead. The doctor said that boys are often bigger anyway, and with fraternal twins a size difference is okay as long as one isn't too small.) And knowing twin b's gender helps me connect with both of them a little more--it felt a little weird to use a pronoun with her brother while not with her. The screening test was terrifying, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

In other baby news, I think I felt them for the first time today! Well, nothing that dramatic, but this morning I was sitting on the couch with my hand resting on my belly and I felt a little flutter. It's like you described it--definitely not a kick or anything dramatic, but very gentle. And then just now, as I'm writing in bed, I felt it again. It was really wonderful. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the babies. And how nice that you're feeling Wriggles being a gymnastics champ (just like his/her mama!).

Thanks for the tip on car seats and iSize compliance! That is definitely good to know. We're debating on what car seats to get because it seems like it could be useful to get the fancy ones that recline that are safe for the babies to nap in and stay in for a few hours, so we could use them in their strollers when they're young. On the other hand, and I'm not sure if it's worth it. Hmm. The one plus side is that I figured out I can get a new and free breast pump, which solves that problem. Apparently the ACA mandated that insurance companies provide breast pumps completely free (no copay, etc.)--and I'm still on DH's American health insurance, which doesn't expire until a few days after my due date. It's funny, because this seems to be the first and absolutely only thing that is cheaper about maternity care in the US than in the UK, but I was pleased to avoid the rent/buy dilemma.

I'm sorry to hear your break is already over! I agree with being kind to yourself and flexible--particularly if you need a few days off or even to start your leave early. Pregnancy is beautiful, but it's no joke. I've definitely realized I've had to scale back my schedule and my exertion--I just need more rest than I used to. Otherwise my trip to the US has been great. It's felt like it's gone very fast, but I have a ton (!!) of work to do. I've been careful to take it easy the first week back--I realize I need the rest and the downtime. Though I need to exercise more. I've done a ton of walking back in the US, but I've gotten lazy on pilates, and I'm feeling stiffer, so I'm vowing to get back into the swing of it.

Congrats on making it over 30 weeks! It's amazing that you're in the last quarter of the pregnancy. And I wish you luck in getting through this week. I hope you feel better, and that your DH is giving you tons of back rubs and care. Sorry for being such an intermittent poster, but I'm thinking about you.
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:41 am

Hey inthemetro! You said you're returning to the UK today, so I hope your flight is easy and comfortable. I've enjoyed sleeping in my own bed for the last week, and my last trip to York with my students has been cancelled for me. The leadership team at my school decided it was too risky to bring a pregnant woman at 32 weeks, and I'm sure they're making the sensible decision but I am still quite bummed! My trip to Denmark was actually to see a gymnastics competition, my friends here are all quite into gymnastics and used to compete for Scotland in TeamGym (different than artistic gymnastics).

I'm glad to hear your bump is really growing, you are nearly halfway there with twins! I would LOVE a bump picture whenever you have a moment as I can't picture you with the obviously pregnant belly. Mine really appeared at about 21 weeks, and then between 28-30 weeks has basically exploded (everyone keeps saying I'm "blooming" - what a kind phrase). The funny thing is I put on most of my weight in the second trimester and I've really slowed down since. I've only gained about a pound in the last 2-3 weeks, but my stomach is growing exponentially. I hope you're still feeling mostly symptom-less except for the occasional back ache. My abdominal pain seems to come and go, some days are worse than others which I suppose is just linked with the type of food I eat.

Wow - so much baby news!!! First, I am sorry for all the worry that the quad screen is causing, and I am crossing all my fingers and toes that the test results come back positively. I'm glad you're optimistic and remembering that a lot of these tests just give you a chance and not real, solid results. It's all so scary sometimes, isn't it? So in the meantime, YOU HAVE A GIRL!! AHHH!! I have to say, it seems like the perfect scenario. You get one of each, and the twins are less likely to compare themselves as they grow up because they are different genders. They'll still be the best of friends and always have each other! So now you really get to decide on your names as you know both genders. How absolutely wonderful to be able to connect with them like that! And to have the scan to see them and their sizes and movements and know they are okay - and then begin to feel the movements! The first ones are so lovely and perfect, I hope you are recording it all somewhere. I've started actively using the Ovia pregnancy tracker for nearly everything - notes, kick counts, symptoms, etc. and I really love it. I can see why you liked it as an ovulation tracker too!

Wriggles' kicks are getting even bigger and more insistent, with lots of rolling and elbowing. I still absolutely love it, and spend time holding my hands where I can feel the little protrusions (is it a fist? or a foot? or a bum?) and talking to the baby. I've also really plunged into hypnobirthing and I'm listening to the relaxation tracks every evening. We also started our NCT childbirth class yesterday with 7 other couples. They are all local and seemed really nice and the class was quite useful. We have another 6 hours next weekend, then one more meet up after the babies are born. With the birth of Wriggles a very real possibility in the near future (instead of being distant!) I am trying to make lists of all the things that need to get done. One of the ladies in our class is having her second baby, and with her first she went into labour unexpectedly at 35 weeks. I think it made my husband realise how soon this could happen, any day now really, even if it's far more likely to happen at 40+ weeks. Pregnancy yoga is still lovely as I get bigger and more awkward, and I think I'm going to start swimming again. Like you said, it's important to keep active!

Well I've spent the day baking and prepping food for the week and now I'm enjoying some sunshine in our back garden. It actually finally feels like spring here and it's lovely. I hope you have a nice easy return to work this week, and don't worry about being an intermittent poster. We are both growing babies, and you're growing two, and it takes a LOT of energy. Plus work, and life things, it can be tough to find a free minute. I'm also thinking about you and waiting anxiously for your results. Positive thoughts your way!

Ohhh! And pesach sameach! I don't know if you're celebrating or if you've already had a seder, but my mum sent me her matzo bagel and matzo toffee recipes which I can't wait to try. We've got friends joining us for a late seder on Friday this week (better late than never?) as I don't know anyone else Jewish in Scotland. As I mostly just want fruit, I think this year is going to be the easiest to keep passover, but we'll see. Hopefully Wriggles doesn't demand too much from me this week so I can get by on the two boxes of matzo I've bought!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

PreviousNext

Return to PCOS Support